ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Dilema

Welcome to the L4yer
I have 2002 on a 52 plate Clio 172 FF with 45k on the clock. I am tempted at the moment to trade up for a 2005 on a 55 plate 182 Cup with 14k on the clock. However, I have invested quite a bit of cash in the old girl. K-tec stealth exhaust, all alloys refurbed this year, new clutch and it has been well serviced. Should I keep it, or trade up? Please help! :S

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
for the sake of twin exuasts and 5-10bhp is it really worth a few more grand? Personally its better to keep the devil you know than the devil you dont.

LY V6 with Recaros
I'd probably keep it if you've spent a lot of money on it, but that's easy to say, I know how tempting it can be!

Burgandy 174 sport t
get rid of it the gearbox will melt fairly soon if not already and ur due a cam belt too, dont get a cup though!!

Welcome to the L4yer
I only have one problem at the mo is that the gearstick wobbles around like a b***h and the gearbox moves about under acceleration. I have read most threads on this and it looks like engine/gearbox mounts. I have done the dogbone and the one under the battery but still have problems. Thats the only thing spoiling the car at the mo.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
big iain why will the gearbox melt at 45k? ive seen the gearbox go on for another 40-50k more than what he is on?

Burgandy 174 sport t
the amount I have seen and experinced on here must be just a patch on how many actually break with that kind of miles and age, clutch replaced at 40k the gearbox aint gonna last much longer!!

Welcome to the L4yer
Gearbox is fine, had fluid changed with new clutch. Clutch the selecting mechanism has a bit of play in it. I understand that the engine/gearbox mounts are made of chocolate so I guess I need to check them. What about the selector mechanism? Apologese for going of thread, maybe I need to start a new one in mechanical.

Burgandy 174 sport t
My box was fine too and well looked after ie fluid changed it still fell apart!! Ive seen holes blown in the case from departing gears!!

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
is this through some abuse or through usual driving? I understand there not great, but lets face it, you will only hear of them breaking, its not like people will start a post saying "hey my gearbox is fine".

Maybe a poll should be started to see just how many clio sport owners actually have had the gearbox go. I knoew renault have oversized things like the clutch etc, so ideally they should last a fair while with normal driving. If it was such a major problem and they all did it then wouldnt watch dog have jumped around by now waving there arms?