ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio campus sport 1.2 16v drive belt questions

Clio Campus Sport
So just had my timing belt replaced, didn't think to check and get the drive belt replaced. 1 week later the squealing starts. so hoping to change it tonight, how do I know which belt is the correct one?? I've ordered the only one with ac and power steering. my question is FIL has told me there are two belts one running AC power steering and the other runs the alternator but looking at my engine I can only see one through the tiny gap.
So 1 belt or 2? cars stuck at home so I can't have a good look right now and the parts shop is a good 20miles away (and always ridiculously busy) so want to minimise the amount of time and energy wasted getting parts .
Power steering has been dodgy recently, I'm now assuming that's because of the slipping belt, and driving home last night the stop light and battery light kept flashing, this has only started since the belt started squealing. it's the Haynes D4F engine with AC
Looks like any easy fix but tips would be appreciated.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Your FIL doesn't know what he's on about lol

It's only one belt that powers the AC, alternator, power steering and possibly the waterpump (not sure on the D4F), known as the aux belt.

Replace the tensioners and pulleys for the belt too, not just the belt itself.

Clio Campus Sport
Thanks James, I suspected this was the case but I've not had a good look round my engine yet so couldn't dismiss what he was saying in case he was right lol
Water pump got done last week as it's on the timing belt.
Great I'll order new tensioners too.

Clio Campus Sport
OK so it does have two auxiliary belts, there is one that's cracked and needs replacing and the other is hanging off, just getting the wheel off to inspect from under the car

Clio Campus Sport
So turns out the problem is the fact that the alternator nut is missing and the the tension nut was loose. both belts need replacing, but that can wait till the weekend now.