ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio bilstein b14 excessively bouncy

Fitted a brand new set of Bilstein B14s last week and have done around 300 miles with them so far. The problem is I'm finding the car extremely bouncy and the car never really settles down. I've run coilovers (Tein, BC racing and HSD) on my previous cars so know the difference between them feeling harsh.

They didn't come with any setup instructions so I've set them to 335mm front and 345mm rear from hub centre to wheel arch. I transferred the rear boot/bump stop and top mount from the rear shocks and put new top mounts on the front along with the gaitors that were supplied.

The best what I can describe it is that it feels really under damped which from the reviews makes me feel something isn't correct? I can't feel whether it's the front or rear as the car is so unsettled.

Any ideas please before I fire an email off to bilstein?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm shocked, best coilovers for a road car by far.
I had them on my PH1, absolutely perfect.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted a brand new set of Bilstein B14s last week and have done around 300 miles with them so far. The problem is I'm finding the car extremely bouncy and the car never really settles down. I've run coilovers (Tein, BC racing and HSD) on my previous cars so know the difference between them feeling harsh.

They didn't come with any setup instructions so I've set them to 335mm front and 345mm rear from hub centre to wheel arch. I transferred the rear boot/bump stop and top mount from the rear shocks and put new top mounts on the front along with the gaitors that were supplied.

The best what I can describe it is that it feels really under damped which from the reviews makes me feel something isn't correct? I can't feel whether it's the front or rear as the car is so unsettled.

Any ideas please before I fire an email off to bilstein?

Did yours come with all of these parts?

8EF12D31-9A9F-4C7C-84E9-C9595BA13CDD.jpeg

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
They are softer than a lot of coilovers but I wouldn't have described them as bouncy.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
They aren't rock solid like a lot of dampers, they are a little firmer than cup springs/shocks but the ride quality is miles better

172 Turbo
I love mine on the road, but when I did a night drive for 3 hours, I felt sea sick from how the lights bounced up and down!

Mine were fitted upside down when the previous owner had b14’s fitted. Think he had the same problem. Writing on the springs were upside down and noticed by another member. Swapped them and fixed issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've definitely got the springs the right way round. The adjusters are on the top and the flat part of the spring is in contact with the adjuster. I'm going to try and raise it up an inch when I get some time as I feel it may be riding on and off the bumpstop?

I had a set of worn fullfat shocks and springs on before and I have to say it rode better on those...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Then there is something a miss.

I would take b14’s over the standard set up all day long under any circumstances.