ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 3/4 damage from accident repair costs?

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Hello
Had my clio 3 months and unfortunantly today on an island got in an accident I saw a car indicate left which I was going to slot behind but then they decided to take the next exit. My fault still as was going to fast and they caught the corner of my car and have decent the rear quarter. Now no one was hurt and the damage to their car (meganne) was minimal so just wondered what the repair costs for mine would be as my excess is £850 a year. Basically my damage is to the rear passenger side 3/4 and a bit to the bumper could the dent be pulled out filled and then sprayed?
Few pictures
IMG_10721.jpg

IMG_10731.jpg

IMG_10741.jpg

IMG_10751.jpg

Oh and does anyone know somebody good at this type of work?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That looks nasty. I wouldn't mind betting that when its pulled out that its seperated from the inner wing!

You could get it repaired to a standard for about £5-600 but to it properly could cost anything upto a £1000.

Where in the country are you?

inferno 182.
I take its a 172? If you go through insurance that could be scrap im afraid ! It can be repaired but not cheap im afraid! like Daniel said where are you?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you go through insurance, that will be written off. I'm pretty sure AUTOCRASH will confirm it as he is much better qualified to do so.

inferno 182.
Not sure what your cars worth but if you go through insurance the car maybe written off with that damage!some insurance companies only repair upto 65% of the value of the car! think Gally may know more about that!
West - Midlands mate
And if its 1k will go through insurance :/

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Car drives fine btw and back bumper will just need re-attaching will a 3/4 really write off the whole car I find that madness as it still drives the same

If that goes through insurance they'll put it down for a new quarter which is likely to be £1200+ so possibly a write off. Makes no difference how well it drives etc it's down to the cost of the repair.

It's the damage round the wheel arch that's the main problem, the big dent in the middle could be pulled and filled by a very very talented panel beater, the arch however I'm not too sure.

Last edited:
I bought a ka that was written off and only the bonnet was damaged.

Your better of paying for it to be done it'll cost you less in the long run.

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Mine is not as bad as the one above imo
The top part of the panel is in shape its the bottom part that is fucked thought someone good may be able to pull it out
My Car is a 2003 Clio 172 in blue 70k mile insured for £2250 if I went through insurance would I just get the £2250 - £800 excess i.e. £1450 and then an option to buy the car back is this correct?

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Actually think the car is insured for £2650 as that is the price they recommended come time of insurance as I got the car cheap may work out better if they did write it off to be honest and then I just brought it back and broke it for spares perhaps...

inferno 182.
doesn't mater what your cars insured for! that's not what you will get on a payout! you will prob get half way between trade and retail for a payout. without knowing the cars value I cant tell you what this would be but the will go by glasses guide or cap which is not avalable to the public! and it's a rear 1/4!

Mini 1000/172/Leon
I think will just ring the insurance company and just let them deal with it to be honest.
I went on the what car valuation and it said trade £2410 and private £2665 don't know if this has much to do with book price or not seems a bit optimistic.
May see what the option is with regards to buying the car back afterwards as someone may be interested on here to break it for spares...

Or I have option 3 of paying damage on the scenic which may cost say £200 and selling this for what I can for spares what would it be worth though £800 maybe at best I don't know?

Couple more photo's
IMG_10791.jpg

IMG_10811.jpg

IMG_10761.jpg

IMG_10771.jpg

Oh and another downside I had just put £60 of V power in ffs

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You may as well read the beano. What car valuation is useless. Luke (on here) only gor £3700 for his written off 55 plate trophy and that was after a lot of arguing!

If I was in your position, i'd pay cash for the scenic repair and just carry on driving the 172 around as it is. If you go through insurance your premiums will rise and you will lose your no claims.

After a while, if you can afford it, get it fixed. But I certainly wouldn't stress or make yourself skint when it drives perfectly fine.

Mini 1000/172/Leon
It was mint until the crash anyway belts just done etc good paintwork no dents (just had them removed) alloys had been refurbed and start cleaning up underneath painting parts etc...
But yeah text the meganne owners to see if I can settle outside then can get the bumper sorted and drive it around as it is for now need to get a new wheel as front one get wrecked going up a kerb replaced that and drives fine but want to keep a proper spare and get the tracking done just in case as it was a bit out anyway.
Does this seem the best option?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That's what i'd do.

Claiming on the insurance is not something i'm fond of. (Unlesss you'd caused £000's worth of damage)

Mini 1000/172/Leon
I will do that then if I can women is getting a quote on her car doing her a favour front bumper had all marks on the other side anyway :/
It is an 06 plate scenic will need a new front bumper and wing would this be about £300 or so do you think or more?

I will get my rear bumper attached and then look into it if can get someone to knock the big dent out for now will look a bit better at least and can drive it around till I either decide to repair it or just sell it cheap come resale so someone can use it as a track ****

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Where in the West mids are you? i know of a bodyshop that did a very good repair on a friends clio with similar damage and they did it for a reasonable price (they are based in Burntwood, staffordshire)

Monaco 172
pay for the damage to the scenic.

get the interior panel off and have a look inside, you may be able to push a fair bit out and re fit the bumper then like Daniel said I'de just run it around until you could get it repaired.

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Other people want to go through insurance :/
I have spoken to a couple repair shops I know someone who said the majority will pull out accept around the wheel arch which would need some filler and could be all sprayed for about £350 showed me a car was working on and looked decent.
Had the car checked underneath by the mechanic no damage at all straight etc so nothings bent at least and re attached the bumper today so its safe to drive.
Down to the insurance company I suppose whether they choose to right it off is they any way I can avoid them doing this?
As I had a couple of quotes and both been like £5/600 as a lot of places think the worst of it will pull out I would rather keep the car and drive it with a dent in than have it wrote off and have to find a new one a its a good little runner.

Monaco 172
You could go through the insurence to get the 3rd party vehicle repaired, and just not declare the damage to yours and get it repaired yourself.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lola! The man is a genius!

Anyway Daniel has got it pretty bang on, just pay for it yourself saves any hassle these days. It's scary the amount of people fixing cars themselves these days. Years ago people would make a couple of claims a year on £100 xs policies no problem. Simply doesn't happen these days.

Before you do anything go to a decent garage and get the geom checked, costs about £25 and it's worth it. Clio back stubs/axles bend like chocolate.

ph1 172,M3 e92
Just a little dent and you all are saying write-off? What the bleeding ...

2k+ insurance if it doesn't repair that (about 500 £ cost MAX imo) than it's the rip-off of the century

Go with the insurance claim,if they declare that a write off burn their headquarters.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

2k+ insurance if it doesn't repair that (about 500 £ cost MAX imo) than it's the rip-off of the century

Go with the insurance claim,if they declare that a write off burn their headquarters.

It's funny, I get the feeling you have no idea what you're talking about. Call it a hunch.

clio 172 cup
I had a mint 55 plate and some one pulled out on me exact same damage as yours n they wrote that off I'm afraid to say

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

Lol, clown shoe!

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Even though mine was alot worse, I think they'd just write yours off mate. I was lucky, I had a young guy walk round the car with me and he saw how utterly gutted I was and said how tidy the car looked so he said he didn't want to write it off for me as he knew they could repair it :)

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Taking in saturday to see
insurance is knock for knock i.e i sort my damage and their insurance sorts their own so if they try and write it off will just keep it and just knock out what i can and leave it as it is as excess is 800 anyway and f**k them writing it off

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Oh and i can the car repaired for 400 both have said majority will knock out only around arch is tricky and may need some filler in it but will see what insurance garage says is called fix auto birnungham if anyone knows it?

PB Clio 172

still the school holidays....

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Oh and car has been on jig its fine jusr needed a new steering arm must have bent when went up the kerb

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Car was wrote off they paid out £2,100 not bad as paid £1700

Purchased a golf gti as a stock gap it was s**t had to replace the engine turbo suspension etc and now stuck it up for sale I hate it

Will get another 172/182 in the spring