ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 200 cup vs Focus RS

1.2 Dynamique billabong
I hope this isnt a repost, i did a search but couldnt find so anyways check out this vid. Got to say the im impressed with how the clio sticks to the RS in the twisties

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ae4RqTW5UDU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ae4RqTW5UDU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Crappy work hire car
Yeah, Focus seems to be all over the place on the corners doesn't it?!

Renault Sport Clio 182
0:51 and 2:13 = AMAZING, never seen this before, just had to watch it on mute, will watch it with sound later

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
@ 1:26- "I mean, you'd never drive like this on the road". Eh? Who wouldn't :rasp:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
From a video like this I dont see why folks dislike the 200 :S It was fairly keeping up well and the Focus looked under pressure in the twisties!

I wouldnt have one in green though :p White with black please :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
There's not a vast difference in ultimate corner speed between a 197/frs. But the focus obliterates it in a straight line, especially accelerating from a slow corner.

GTD, Lupo
You should have changed up before the tw*t light-beep anyway ;)

Yeah it beeps 200rpm before the rev limiter and I have found If it beeps and I think "oops better change gear" it normally hits the limiter. Very rarely hear mine.

Oh yeah and also been looking at frs's but can't justify the cost at the moment ;)

Gorms

clio sport 172
The clio may be slower but dose very well considering these cars ain't even in the same category.
The Megane is in the same category as the focus.
Id like to see a video of a clio pissing all over something in the same category like say.....a fiesta rs!!!

In a simliar, more recent video, he was in the Meg 250 and complained that the FRS had left him for dead (which is bullshit) and in this video, the FRS can't get away from the 200 (I can believe it). By that rationale, the 200 is faster than the 250. Or not. Who knows?

The Clio does well, and I can believe it would keep up, but let's not get carried away. Simply PMSL at an FRS being crud in the corners. Have a word with yourself ;)

VaVa
Weight. It's the enemy of everything.

You can't stop physics trying to throw 1400kg off the road. Not even remotely surprised the 200 can carry as much, if not a bit more, corner speed throught the tight stuff.

Great vid though :cool:

Agree entirely. I know which car I'd rather have been in while they filmed that though ;)

Fifth Gear 'timed' the 182Cup as being quicker than the 200. I bet a 182Cup could have got past the FRS. A 172Cup would have rinsed it eh? Don't get me wrong, the 200 is a fantastic car, and significantly cheaper. I only popped in to counter the comments suggesting that the FRS handles badly. It doesn't.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
There's only so fast you can go round a bend at the end of the day. Which suggests that both cars are hugely capable! Straighten things out a bit and the focus would be a spec in the distance.

I thought the 200 just beat it around the track (last years show)?

Yeah sorry I f**ked up. I meant to say that CS suggested it was all fixed, and that the 182Cup was quicker, so would have beaten the FRS in this test, using internet form car logic that is :D

GTD, Lupo
Yeah sorry I f**ked up. I meant to say that CS suggested it was all fixed, and that the 182Cup was quicker, so would have beaten the FRS in this test, using internet form car logic that is :D

:lolup: Heh heh Roy you must work in a "can of worms" factory :rasp: :eek:

After seeing yours in white and a green one went past me the other day i love the FRS. Really am considering looking into getting one as i get a pretty big forces discount on them but its the fact i have a 200 aswell :(

Gorms

Auto car descriped the Megane and 200 as floating in and out of corners with ease.
They say the focus BLUDGEONS the road into submission.

Gorms, the next car for me is an RS, you can get a 59 plate for 25k atm, if i can put 5k a year away (which shouldnt be a probs as long as i dont get my gf up the duff) i will have one just after my 23rd bday which will be a pressie to myself. Saying that it will be tough to beat the amout of fun i have in mine, It is my fav thing in the world (not including my family gf blah blah...well sometimes my gf...:)

Regarding handling it is fab they can stick 301 bhp through the front and steer and break, the newest upgrade which brings it to nearly 400bhp makes it wheel spin in third lol.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
CS didn't suggest it was fixed, the ex-clio cup race driver there did ;).

I'd take an RS over any Renault. Different gravy tbh.

I also think its really funny that people think 5th gear rigged the 182 to lose, what did they have to gain from it?

CS didn't suggest it was fixed, the ex-clio cup race driver there did ;).

I'd take an RS over any Renault. Different gravy tbh.

According to CS. Anyway that's my point. Some say this, some say that. One car is good at this, another is good at that. The cornering speeds of the FRS and 200 would be very similar on normal road tyres (as you say) but IMO the 200 would be more nimble and able to change direction quicker.

How a car drives is more important than some random completely uncontrolled (different driver) race, around a handling course. No one on here would ever drive close to those limits on the road anyway, except the ones who keep crashing, so that brings it down to a blend of entertaining road handling, and track ability. I believe both cars are good at both.

Anyway I'm rambling. As I said, I was merely commenting that the FRS is not a dog in the corners, as had been implied by some people's interpretation of that video. The 200 is half the price and just as quick in that video. Fair play. If all one cares about is speed.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I also think its really funny that people think 5th gear rigged the 182 to lose, what did they have to gain from it?
Erm, priority on future tests with Renault? Do you not remember when Ferrari threw a hissy fit and wouldn't lend evo cars because they didn't win COTY?

Exists in all fields, reviews and group tests are very rarely unbiased and genuine. How else do you explain cars like the mk1 FRS, where some mags raved about it and others were utterly cold about it?

It's a feat that people like Renault can build cars with all the modern weight penalties, and barely more power, that can lap at similar pace to an engine with some tin foil and a steering wheel attached.

How you like your speed is personal preference.

Auto car descriped the Megane and 200 as floating in and out of corners with ease.
They say the focus BLUDGEONS the road into submission.

I think they're more trying to describe the character of the car overall, rather than outright cornering abilities. It is a very apt description though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Anyway I'm rambling. As I said, I was merely commenting that the FRS is not a dog in the corners, as had been implied by some people's interpretation of that video. The 200 is half the price and just as quick in that video. Fair play. If all one cares about is speed.
Couldn't agree more. I've been on track with a very poorly driven FRS, and it still just disappeared on the back straight, incredibly rapid.
[YOUTUBE]XPFo8KfJCgU[/YOUTUBE]