ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 - Shame - When are changes due?

ioclio
Hi to everyone,

I have tested Clio 197 and, speaking frankly, been dissappointed.

Steering and motor power distribution annoyed me a lot (I owned 172 and 182 cars).

I am interested in the car but:

* I would like to own a 197 with Cup chassis fitted (not in the form of that R27 with those terrible stickers)
Q: When will Cup chassis option be available to order? (in Sept 07 ?!)

* I would like RST engineers to change or at least re-calibrate that electric steering of 197 which is miles far from the precision we had in 182.
Q: Does anybody know about any progress in connection with this issue?

* I would like RST engineers to re-think of that boominess of the motor at 4000 rpm and gearing ratio of the 6th.
It's awful to cruise on highway at 125-130 km/h and the 6th is just too short.

Finally, I would like to ask:

When will RST in Dieppe set up a RS Clio
that would not be in the form of "half-finished job" ?

Yours​

Comp Mag

cup 182 mit stripes
We were all disappointed, except those who bought and tried to convince themselves otherwise.

Dirty E91
I don't think you've revealed anything that hasn't been reported back by members who have test driven the 197.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Exactly total waste. One main thing was the 0-60 &top speed is poor in the 197 than its is on the 172/182
You know you,ve hit a major problem when the salesman who took me out on a test drive prefered mine more than the 197 ;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
* I would like RST engineers to change or at least re-calibrate that electric steering of 197 which is miles far from the precision we had in 182.
Q: Does anybody know about any progress in connection with this issue?

* I would like RST engineers to re-think of that boominess of the motor at 4000 rpm and gearing ratio of the 6th.
It's awful to cruise on highway at 125-130 km/h and the 6th is just too short.

The lack of precision was why when other Mk2 Clios got electric power assistance on their steering the 172 and 182 kept hydraulic power assistance. Electric power assistance is getting better, but you clearly feel it hasn't got there yet.

They can't fix the gear ratios, because of the substantially higher weight of the Mk3. They had to lower the gearing to retain anything like the acceleration of the Mk2s. To be able to sell the car they had to be able to claim it had similar or better acceleration. And the only way you can do that when you've pushed the body weight up as much they did was shorter gearing. Their only fix is to find themselves at least a 2.3 litre engine. The Renault engine won't stretch that far, its already at the limit at 2 litres. They've either got to develop a new engine that will stretch that far or borrow an engine from Nissan to go with the gearbox they borrowed.

cup 182 mit stripes
The whole problem of the 197 succinctly and accurately explained.

And 16v jon reckons you talk sh1te Gordon. Shows us how much he knows lol.

ioclio
Now, guys, could anybody from you or Renault UK tell us something promising for the future.

Will we be getting a proper Clio III RS
or not?

Or shall we rediredt to some other metal?

Comp Mag

106 GTi
Mirrors most peoples reviews on here, the steering feel was the main killer for me, that said the 182 is lighter than I would like.