ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Owners.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Hi guys,

Look at a couple of 197's this week and debating buying one.

If you own one, could you tell me your own personal pros and cons to the vehicle?

Is there anything in particular to look for when viewing the cars? Common defects etc?

Cheers

Hi guys,

Look at a couple of 197's this week and debating buying one.

If you own one, could you tell me your own personal pros and cons to the vehicle?

Is there anything in particular to look for when viewing the cars? Common defects etc?

Cheers

I don't own one but in comparison to a 1*2 I've heard

-Better driving position
-More refined
-Worse on fuel
-Less of a go-kart feeling

Megane r26
I've owned one and I loved it, it replaced my ph2 172.

I owned it around 12 months and then sold it to fund my house so I replaced it with a trophy.

The car itself was spot on much more refined but for me it still retained its point and shoot characteristics.

Handling wise its one of the best fwd's cars I've driven and I've driven quite a few, it felt so planted and installed so much confidence within the driver and the brembos also added to that.

Fuel wise its was a little thirsty but not a lot more then a 1*2 and tbh I find the trip computers to over read on Ph2's.

All in all I'd buy another!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Nice one guys!

Yea Dan, I've heard they love a drink! Is it in excess of literally seeing the needle move before your eyes!?

Clio 197
fuel isnt too bad anywhere between 28-31 is what i get on average driving it to work and back. motorways at 70 is like 34 and when you give it a good hoon goes down to like 25.
i pretty much end up getting about 350 miles from full to the start of red.

Megane r26
Nice one guys!

Yea Dan, I've heard they love a drink! Is it in excess of literally seeing the needle move before your eyes!?

Tbh I didn't find it that bad as I class it as a performance car, if I wanted fuel economy I'd buy a diesel.

The 197 is a slightly heavier car and short gear ratios don't help, apparently later ones had revised ratios but don't quote me.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Ah fair! I'm looking at the 07/08 kind of mark. I've read about the gearbox problem/recall etc so trying to avoid that.

172 Cup
I really enjoyed mine, well refined and did instill vast confidence with the brembo's! Biggest positive is its ease to drive, and the fact its very easy to drive fast!

Lacked the rawness of the earlier models though, and the fuel is around 10mpg worse! To be honest if I was to own another it would have to be an R27. Though their gearboxes and exhaust manifolds make me wary!

I got rid of mine, I fancied getting my hands dirty again with a car I could play around with more and for me I'm thoroughly glad I made that choice!

Freeing up extra cash is always useful to.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I really enjoyed mine, well refined and did instill vast confidence with the brembo's! Biggest positive is its ease to drive, and the fact its very easy to drive fast!

Lacked the rawness of the earlier models though, and the fuel is around 10mpg worse! To be honest if I was to own another it would have to be an R27. Though their gearboxes and exhaust manifolds make me wary!

I got rid of mine, I fancied getting my hands dirty again with a car I could play around with more and for me I'm thoroughly glad I made that choice!

Freeing up extra cash is always useful to.

What did you end up buying instead? And whats the problem with the manifolds?

Lowest milage I've seen second hand! Especially for that age! Shame I don't like red!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
If your going to buy a 197 buy a specced one.

Its hobsons choice really-

R27 or fully specced 197 cup.

R27-plus options to look for- Xenon / projector lights & climate.
197cup- must have a/c + recaros + Speedlines.

Issues-
Check gearbox
Check steering rack
Check for clunks over bumps- lots of troublesome issues in this area
Listen for cracked manifold
Check A/C is working
Check X2 keys- as they are £180 each
Check brake feeling- yearly service required on calipers.
Check Cambelt is done- ( inc water pump)
Check Recaros- budget £200 for bolster repairs.

Budget 5500-6k for an R27 & another £500-£750 for bits & bobs.

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
No lol.

didn't you have the RB 197? IIRC. then you bought a motorbike or was that a brother?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
If your going to buy a 197 buy a specced one.

Its hobsons choice really-

R27 or fully specced 197 cup.

R27-plus options to look for- Xenon / projector lights & climate.
197cup- must have a/c + recaros + Speedlines.

Issues-
Check gearbox
Check steering rack
Check for clunks over bumps- lots of troublesome issues in this area
Listen for cracked manifold
Check A/C is working
Check X2 keys- as they are £180 each
Check brake feeling- yearly service required on calipers.
Check Cambelt is done- ( inc water pump)
Check Recaros- budget £200 for bolster repairs.

Budget 5500-6k for an R27 & another £500-£750 for bits & bobs.

S

Nice one Steve, appreciated.

Yeah my budget at the minute is around 5-6k, 1k for insurance and then a few hundred for the nik naks.

Do you have any in at the minute?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Not at the moment. Always on the lookout though- theres a few ropey ones kicking about but nothing nice.

S

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Nice one guys!

5F6F47E8-6DB5-4F2D-B90C-8DBE78FB3051_zps2hrgrknt.jpg

its since gone up to about 28

ill put my two penneth in later

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I originally wanted a bigger, quicker, more grown up car than my mk2 1.4. I was looking at meg 175s, then I found I could insure a 197 for not much more.

i found out the desirable options (recaros, cup chassis, xenons, climate, cup spoiler/rs splitter) and found the r27 came with the recaros and cup chassis as standard (you can only get r27s in ly too) so that helped my search for an awesome spec. All I had to do then was find one with xenons and climate control (and a cup spoiler, or no spoiler so I could fit one).

signs a gear box is about to s**t itself is grinding/crunching over 5k between 3rd and 4th gears.

The recaros need servicing annually (strip, grease and reassemble) or they'll bind together and you might have to cut the pins out (£40 for new ones)

rear brakes freeze on in the cold. So a lot of people leave their cars in gear overnight with the handbrake off.

recaro bolsters are prone to tearing. If they show any signs of wear, you can swap the seat bases over to even it out.

Belts need doing 72k/5years

i originally s**t myself at how stiff the ride was, but you soon get used to it. If you drove while needing a piss, every imperfection in the road was a falcon punch to the bladder.

the flat spot can become annoying (exhausts exaggerate this)

they hold scary speeds (to me anyway) round corners

mismatched tyres make them very tail happy (which is hilarious fun)

conti 3s all round make it very balanced

I did 90 miles a day when I first got it which cost £70 per week

i now do around 20 miles a day which costs around £30 per week

Anything else you need to know just ask:)

hope that helps

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
How do you drive, honestly? Are you always planting your foot? Loads of city driving etc?

Honestly, like a granny most days.

I do match revs and get a bit carried away when I see twistes or roundabouts.

My daily commute is 50% stop start roundabouts and town drivin and 50% motorway.

If I reset the tc and drive at 50/60 I can get 34mpg lol

225 Cup & Williams
R27's come in black too do they not?

I've been considering chopping my 225 Cup in for an R27 recently. I've never had a proper drive of one.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Lowest milage I've seen second hand! Especially for that age! Shame I don't like red![/QUOTE] My wife has an 09 racy blue 197 with 20k miles she loves it Phoon, the red cars are nice that one needs some black speedlines and a cup spoiler imo but keep looking they are about :)
raceyblue_zps508cc5cf.jpg

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I owned my 197 for 10 months and averaged about 28.5mpg.
I think I was lucky as had no problems throughout my ownership and I now miss it quite a bit!

had my R27 for about 20 months. When it went the MPG was reading 34.8 MPG. I commute about 46 miles a day mostly on the M3 and it was quite honestly an awesome car. It had none of the often mentioned issues, except wear to the Recaros which was covered by Renault warranty. It did develop a spot of corrosion on the boot lid at the base of the rear screen, but anti-perforation warranty took care of that. One BIG BIG problem came when the rain channels blocked and water came into the car. Repaired by Renault with a huge chunk paid for by RUK. I did about 20000 miles and have no regrets. Shame my Meg' isn't quite as exciting, but can't argue with the spec or 60 MPG!

I've had my 197 for 18months now, it's my daily car & its been very good in that time & I'm glad I've had one but I'm just bored of it now so it's time to go so I can get a LY Megane R26.
IMO it's great on track, the handling (I have KW coilovers) & brakes are superb but for everyday driving I just can't get on with it. The cold starts, kangarooing, no low down power etc just do my head in now, & as much as drive slow & economical it still drinks fuel. I've even been pricing/scouring parts to do the Megane conversion as I love the look of mine just don't like the engine lol, but I've just decided to get a Megane now.

Pro's

Driving position is better
Handling
Brakes
More refined over 1*2s
Looks/styling

Con's

Crap on fuel
No low down power
Cold starts
kangarooing
Rear brakes sticking on in winter
Exhaust flexi's splitting on the manifold
Manifold welds cracking

Mine hasn't really caused me any problems apart from the exhaust Felix's splitting on the manifold & the manifold welds cracking. I replaced this myself, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap for a garage to do it. I've been lucky & never had the dreaded gearbox problems.