ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Gearbox, 3rd Gear Crunch

Albi Blue 197
I have a 56 plate clio 197. Every time when im revving hard or sometimes just cruizing along, when i put it in 3rd the gearbox seems to crunch, even when i have the clutch down to the floor. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Or does this mean a new gearbox job? :( Is this a common problem?

Reece.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
I have a 56 plate clio 197. Every time when im revving hard or sometimes just cruizing along, when i put it in 3rd the gearbox seems to crunch, even when i have the clutch down to the floor. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Or does this mean a new gearbox job? :( Is this a common problem?

Reece.

It's a common problem on the 200, so would assume it's the same on the 197. A lot of 200's having a new gearbox after a few 1000 miles

Brisol my lover..
There was a few on here who had gear box's on the early 197 up to 2007, i had a very similar prob with mine in sceond after 7,000 miles and i had the gearbox replaced under warranty (The bill was over 6k!!). They changed the box ratio on the later ones and they replace it with this box, so if you get a used box make sure its a later one, check the part numbers.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Geabox out & at the minimum a repair of that syncro,- they wont be able to tell until its out-

JMS take it out & send it away to agency transmissions- maybe worth a punt

S

Not a 320d
Your synchro mesh is fucked. Thats the problem. Its a common problem on all the TL4 gearboxes, doesnt matter if you buy a Clio GT or a Clio 197/200. The TL4 box is utter horseshit and is not fit for purpose.

As said check the part numbers, Mine sere slightly different when chanced so atleast I got a revised gearbox. I just hope it holds up.

Lube up, the bills gunna be a big one unless youre good friends with a mechanic or are pretty competant at that sort of thing.

Didnt a guy over on clio 197 forums have a battle with Renault only for them to eventually cave in and offer him a 97% reduction in cost. He refused still and wanted it free of charge, basically kept saying the boxes werent fit for purpose.

clio 182 sport
just had a new gearbox fitted to mine under warrenty at eval halshaw common problem mines a 08 plate and was crunchin in 4th gear £1500 new and fitted if not under warrenty or a £1000 for a repair job to the gearbox