ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Wind noise over 80mph...

FF RB 182
My friend has a Clio 182 when he first got it he noticed when he went over 70mph there was a noise coming into the car, we thought from the windscreen, if you pushed the headlining up to the roof around the light area the noise would stop.. He had the windscreen removed and resealed last week to try to solve it but it hasn't. My next thought is maybe the aerial or something? Allowing air to pass through and make this horrible noise.

Any of you heard of this and know a fix?

Thanks Simon

FF RB 182
there is a little hole under the wing mirror (drivers side) where it was the sensor for the temperature reading. could be that?

The noise stops when you push the head lining to the roof around the interior light, thats why I thought it to be windscreen at first. I haven't looked to see if that sensor is still there but the car reads a pretty accurate outside temperature on the display, so guessing it's still there.

Mine (Cup) Whistles at 70mph aswell but sounds like it's inside the cabin?

Yeah its inside the cab.. like its passing through a small gap somewhere. Its an annoying whistle... Maybe it's just Renaults way to stop people speeding? lol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'm sure Seb on here posted a thread about it a few years back and it was to do with the plastic trim at the top of the window on the outside although i may be wrong...

FF RB 182
Thanks dude, will keep an eye out.

I don't own a Clio yet but just drove my mates Clio 182, wasn't as bad as I though, clutch was heavy, gearbox little sloppy and steering wheel feels a bit weird, but was ok, i'm a Ford man you see! lol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Oh there's a Ford fan boy in all of us - it take's a real man to submit to Renault Sport ownership ;)

No one buy's just one RS Clio, it's always one as a 'get by' then they get hooked. Then they buy a 'Cheap track Phase 1 172 track sl@g' alongside a BMW/VW/Other marque. Then they sell it to 'down grade', that down grade is a 182/Trophy.

I bought my first Phase 1 172 in 2008. I'm now on my fourth RS Clio. My next will be an RS Clio. LOL.

FF RB 182
I've had my Fiesta for about 5 years now..

281683_10150264214433521_4592269_n.jpg

But now doing 200 miles a week and it returning 22mpg.. I want something with some toys and speed, and ok mpg, Clio seems to suite it.

FF RB 182
1.7 Puma, with Racing puma ecu and cams, full miltek etc. Have a lambda sensor problem but given up trying to solve it.

Yeah thats what I like about them, i could cut down on fuel if i moved in with my GF but not ready for that yet!

SQ5
I learnt a trick from an Evo owner about wind noise.

Undo your window and out your knee into the door card and pull the top of the door towards you just bending it slightly to close the gap up top!

FF RB 182
I learnt a trick from an Evo owner about wind noise.

Undo your window and out your knee into the door card and pull the top of the door towards you just bending it slightly to close the gap up top!

The tops of the doors are quiet though.. defiantly not coming from the doors else you would hear it from your ear.. its coming from the centre of the car.. above the windscreen.

FF RB 182
I'll send him a message and have a ganders when I can. Whats the solution does it need to be stuck down or something?

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Mine did this too. Mine was the scuttle panel on the drivers side where it joins the windscreen, I just resealed it and its been fine since.

clio 182
Mine started doing the same noise. It's only above 75mph and if I push the interior light upwards it stops. Has anybody found what is causing it?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've had my Fiesta for about 5 years now..

But now doing 200 miles a week and it returning 22mpg.. I want something with some toys and speed, and ok mpg, Clio seems to suite it.

Stunning ZS but how the feck are you doing 22mpg? I couldn't get my Frp under 35mpg if I tried, although my first one wasn't driven hard.

Haven't driven an Frp'd Fiesta. What kind of money do they sell for?

Flamer
Mines has this noise to but it can start at 20/30 mph but then it's all the time on 40+ and on bypass etc. Still trying to get to the root of this problem as it does my utter head in!

V800mjh mine does this exact same noise at around 80 mph I tried padding the scuttle panels out then someone told me it was the gearbox but the last time I drove the car every time a gust of wind hit the car it made the noise no matter what speed I did it sounded like the wind was pushing the arch liner onto the tyre if anything.
Horrible noise tho
also I never noticed it when it had the std airbox and pipe work so could be wind howling into the bay

PH2 Flamer
V800mjh mine does this exact same noise at around 80 mph I tried padding the scuttle panels out then someone told me it was the gearbox but the last time I drove the car every time a gust of wind hit the car it made the noise no matter what speed I did it sounded like the wind was pushing the arch liner onto the tyre if anything.
Horrible noise tho
also I never noticed it when it had the std airbox and pipe work so could be wind howling into the bay

I've got standard airbox set up and have experienced this noise. It's a horrible noise, my first thoughts were gearbox, or something rubbing on the tyre. Seems to be passenger front area. Arch liner has no signs of rubbing though.

Strange one.

Very strange then. I'm hoping as I've recently had most of the car in bits again that when I use it next the noise may have shut up. If not I'll make sure I find wher it's coming from

FF RB 182
Stunning ZS but how the feck are you doing 22mpg? I couldn't get my Frp under 35mpg if I tried, although my first one wasn't driven hard.

Haven't driven an Frp'd Fiesta. What kind of money do they sell for?

Fucker just drank fuel like hell! My right boot didn't help, did love the car. Gone to heaven now! haha

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah sorry mate thought you still had it. I remember your carpark pictures a while back. Ford thread maybe.

I do remember Rhys' ZS drank fuel when it was on it's road out but he had the 1.6. Any 1.7 i've had (5 now, 2x Frps) has been great on fuel.

I'd love a really cheap ZS or Puma with steelies and winter tyres for the winter months!

FF RB 182
Ah sorry mate thought you still had it. I remember your carpark pictures a while back. Ford thread maybe.

I do remember Rhys' ZS drank fuel when it was on it's road out but he had the 1.6. Any 1.7 i've had (5 now, 2x Frps) has been great on fuel.

I'd love a really cheap ZS or Puma with steelies and winter tyres for the winter months!

I think sitting in the VCT all the time on the motoway made it drink fuel. The clio is a little better! Still miss my Fiesta loads, felt faster than my clio. But the clio is alot more comfier!

1053413_10201066289555314_560938011_o.jpg

clio 182
I get this too. Skip to 7:52 in this video and you can hear my noise. See if yours is the same. Happens to me when I go over 100mph ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTrR1v9d6yc

Yes. This is how it sounds. I took a video of mine doing it as well. I may upload it later. Mine I think is a bit louder and also starts at 70mph!
It was definitely coming from somewhere close the interior light as it was stopping when I was pushing it. I really need to find whats causing it as it unbearable...
I

172 Cup
Mine does this also! I just thought it might of been air rushing past that nippley thing on the bottom of the passenger side wing mirror haha!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
It won't be the cause for all but I bet it is for a few of you....

And that is the the recirculation flap under the dash. The motor on mine got weak and stuck halfway open causing a noise like the vid v800mjh posted above!

Hopefully I'll find out if its the circulation flap under the dash as I've renewed mine recently so I'll see when I drive it next.
Hope it is as I hate the noise

Clio 182 FF
I spent ages looking into this and found its the loom of cables that run into the light in the roof lining. There seems to be a label that is causing it as when driving i have pulled it all apart in anger with some help and found just touching the loom affect the frequency and holding the label stops it entirely. Just need to work out how to get the holder for the light panel off to sort it out.