ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Turbo

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Busy again today. Seems like 1 step forward and 2 back some days šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø. Front end off again. Iā€™d got all but one of the sump bolts out. One rounded going back in so knew it was going to be a ball ache should it ever have to come off again. It didnā€™t disappoint lol

70C2F235-BB50-4234-8546-E5C2B84ED1EE.jpeg

Got that drilled out fairly quickly and the sump off. Turns out Iā€™d just done a shite job of the return. No idea how/why but the whole lot was only finger tight. Iā€™ve tightened it all up and put new seals in and filled the sump with old oil to leak test it. Iā€™ll leave it overnight and see how that goes. Photo of said sump below:
876CCA58-4C1F-43E2-8F02-DDD870EAE0F9.jpeg

Then last up was my other schoolboy error... put the brembos on the right way round and bled them again. Had a little splutter of air and the pedal is now rock hard. Seems to have done the trick so well happy with that. Thanks for the help on that one šŸ˜Š
809C294A-9C82-4C3D-9B2A-53FC289C0808.jpeg

last question for today... are the sump bolts M7? They are total shite and no doubt itā€™ll have to come off again so Iā€™d prefer to use some normal bolts rather than the E8s. Plus they are 3 quid each which blows my mind. Can anyone confirm the size or have a link where I can get some alternatives?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
They are M7 bolts. You can find on ebay some titanium ones with "normal" hexagonal head. But I cannot anymore find them.
I use anti seize on them and torque to 17nm at most

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Made a little bit of progress today but not much. Iā€™m waiting on my new sump bolts so anything engine related is out of the question. Instead, I pinged a door bullet off to get that sorted as they are in an awful state. Used a hacksaw and file to get the letters off then built it up with filler primer. Looks like itā€™ll flat off ok.
EF8DA8FA-BB53-4071-9D3F-7E30626FD607.jpeg

Iā€™ve got some stickers ordered and hoping the end result will be something like this.
18622C35-38A6-4B9B-9975-06E9F6FE2829.png

Next in line was the boost gauge. Whipped the dash top off
B72502E7-A71E-49BC-AAD5-0A7C6E17C15C.jpeg

Popped the drivers side vent out and put the 3D printed slats in
7198DD3A-9D64-41BD-9093-08E10B36E8F2.jpeg

Then fitted the gauge. Just need to find somewhere to bring the boost feed through then I can get the dash top back on
70ED31FA-F39F-49B2-A3FD-588B410DA719.jpeg

Iā€™ve also done a leak test on oil return v2 and all seems well so far so happy with that šŸ‘Œ
5858D942-D982-4757-8237-95A064CA4A3A.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The sump went back on today, all be it just pinned in with 2 original bolts while waiting for the new ones to arrive. I just needed to get the engine back on its mounts and in place. I measured up the 172 decat and chopped a bit off
F5A4D8CE-7945-4776-8739-176BC6CBC4FD.jpeg

lined it up and seems like itā€™ll be just the job. Iā€™ll chop the 182 decat to match and pop a sleeve over them. That should get me running for now. Iā€™ve got literally no idea how Iā€™ll get to the bolts between the downpipe and the exhaust. Iā€™ve lost the gasket so need to order a new one for starters. Should they be spring bolts or are normal ones ok? Also it would appear the wife thinks sheā€™s funny and drawn a willy on there too šŸ˜‚
E0D5A4D9-A2CC-4B31-8F2D-2C557B692939.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Iā€™m still waiting for parts so didnā€™t manage much today. I did have a few random bits kicking about though. I fitted my rear wiper delete which Iā€™m actually really impressed with and stuck on the rear plate Iā€™ve had kicking about for ages. The exhaust is off one of the hangers in the pic, it sits perfect when itā€™s on

BB2558A0-5D61-4893-9F4A-51DC8E9562C5.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My exhaust fittings arrived today so got cracking. Started off by heat wrapping the adapted 172 decat
965EF779-46A4-4E62-9052-14A45BF3196E.jpeg

Then got it lined up and tightened. What an absolute ball ache of a job it was to get the bolts and springs all on. Not sure what awkward french bloke came up with the design but if the threads were literally 5mm longer or the flange an inch or so in each direction it would be so much easier. After much swearing I finally got them on. Then getting anything on to tighten them was another challenge. Got there in the end and they seem tight enough but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find out when I start it. Itā€™s now sat nicely in place. Just need to chop the 182 down to match and then stick the sleeve over and jobs a gudn
B8F45C19-17EE-4599-8D23-8F11CB9E05C8.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Today I dropped what was left of the box oil and refilled with some new fluid. No chunks of metal came out in the old fluid which was a massive bonus.

Iā€™d refitted the sump last week so went round and checked all the bolts were correctly torqued which they were, then put the oil return back onto the turbo. I also changed the routing of one of the coolant lines slightly as it was running very close to the downpipe.

Next in line was the exhaust. I chopped the 182 decat to the right length and put the sleeve over. Looks like a massive bodge but itā€™ll do till it gets welded properly. Iā€™ve knocked it off the back hangers when sawing it so need to sort that once I get the front end back down.

Last bit for today was rebuilding. Got all the boost pipes back on and lined up, the ecu back in place and plugged in. Then refitted the slam panel and front bumper. All the fluids are now in so gonna leave it up in the air tonight and check for leaks in the morning. Hopefully all is well. This is where it was left to tonight... the end is very close
AD623DCE-988F-43D0-BE39-21CE1580CC71.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Today I finished off all the little bits left to do. There were no leaks or drips overnight from anywhere so looks like oil return round 2 is all good. I refitted my arch liners which really are in great condition and got the car back down on all 4. I then did a nut and bolt check to make sure everything was tight which it was. Jumped in ready to fire it up and..... canā€™t find the f**king key. God knows where itā€™s gone. Turned the garage upside down and canā€™t see it anywhere šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. So, hereā€™s how it sits for tonight. Happy new year everyone, I hope 2021 brings me a key (or even the spare) šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
D02A4AC5-3EB7-4260-B1DE-C4BA7AAF71CB.jpeg

Hopefully much more to come in 2021 including getting the garage skimmed and a new floor down šŸ‘Œ

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Found the key!!

got it out onto the drive so I could properly open both doors to get the dash top back on. Ran the line for the boost gauge through the grommet under the pas bottle. Doesnā€™t look too bad I suppose
D22B2EAC-63E4-4EAF-9B30-464932594A95.jpeg

I then gave it a quick wash and it came up brilliantly. The front bumper is a bit stone chipped and could do with some paint at some point but aside from that itā€™s pretty good
816CE36F-256A-4AA1-90A0-947DCD7CB21B.jpeg

21EA7132-022B-49A9-8EDA-35575C1C019E.jpeg

FA65FCFE-69C4-4133-AC90-DA0458A27ADF.jpeg

and the brakes look massive under the wheels šŸ˜Š
52F64042-83B1-4D47-BFC4-E1771F890CA0.jpeg

The exhaust needs some TLC as Iā€™ve knocked it off the back hangers. Tried to sort that today but snapped my 1/4ā€ to 3/8ā€ adapter trying to take the mounts off so that stopped that fun. A cable tie did the job well enough for now.

I ran it up to temp and left it for a bit. Got some Smokey fun from the heat wrap but all seems ok. The brakes seem a bit spongy still so Iā€™ll have to see what itā€™s like when itā€™s driving properly. Iā€™ve got a fault code for the lambda sensor pulling in so need to check that out. Originally it was unplugged but now itā€™s in itā€™s still there so thatā€™s next up to sort. Vid of it running and throwing heat wrap smoke everywhere

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks good Steve and following with interest as I'm heading down the same route!

Regarding your fuel rail......I looked at a phase 1 rail and the part number is the same as a 2003 2.0 Laguna.
Just wondering if this is a possibility instead of trying to track down a rail from a phase 1?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Looks good Steve and following with interest as I'm heading down the same route!

Regarding your fuel rail......I looked at a phase 1 rail and the part number is the same as a 2003 2.0 Laguna.
Just wondering if this is a possibility instead of trying to track down a rail from a phase 1?

cheers, good luck with it!

you can make a ph2 rail into a ph1 one. They are the same aside from the hole to allow the fuel to the fpr. You can just drill that into a ph2 one and good to go

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Had a free afternoon again today so finished a few bits off. Started by swapping the lambda sensors. Old one looked a bit shitty to be fair

3D254B91-ECD1-4408-964E-2231A0825E06.jpeg

next up was getting the exhaust back on its hangers. Mid section went on fine, then it was the turn of the back box. Underneath is pretty decent and even the heat shields are ok. Rear beam needs a lick of paint at some point though

97276E38-5FE7-4C03-9557-7E1AE3941FBE.jpeg

The tail pipes came up really well with a quick wipe down. Iā€™ll clean them up properly with the drill polisher when I get a chance
6229AC26-4ABD-4D12-8726-89E142F6AAA4.jpeg

Iā€™m really pleased with how itā€™s all lined up this time. Itā€™s better than it was sat originally and about as close to perfect as itā€™ll ever go with the Renault hangers
53DEB912-5539-4F98-9419-BE07B54B1C4A.jpeg

D83A310D-822A-4132-B368-F10C31A482AD.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I eventually got round to firing the car up today after sticking the battery on charge. Iā€™ve still got codes P0130 and P0135 which are both codes for the front lambda sensor. I had the codes originally so Iā€™ve swapped it for a new on, then when that didnā€™t clear it swapped the front and back and still the same. Iā€™ve made a new thread for it if anyone has any suggestions for anything else it could be or anything else to try P0130 and P0135

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
A quick read up shows these as likely causes:
  • Faulty Pre-Catalyst oxygen sensor
  • Faulty wiring/connections
  • Short or open ground in the wiring
  • Blown Fuse
  • Engine coolant temperature sensor is not operating correctly
  • Faulty Power Control Module

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You fitted new Boschā€™s lambdas?
Well, 1x new Bosch lambda. Just replaced the front as thatā€™s the one with the code.

A quick read up shows these as likely causes:
  • Faulty Pre-Catalyst oxygen sensor
  • Faulty wiring/connections
  • Short or open ground in the wiring
  • Blown Fuse
  • Engine coolant temperature sensor is not operating correctly
  • Faulty Power Control Module

Iā€™ll have a check of the wiring and make sure itā€™s all ok. When I ran the car without it plugged in when I fired it up with just the downpipe on it was rough as sticks and has improved with the lambda in so itā€™s def doing something. Coolant sensor is new so donā€™t think itā€™s that but again Iā€™ll check it out

Have you checked the earth wire at the back of the gearbox, think it is on the same section of loom as the lambda wiring.

It seemed fine when had a look. Iā€™ll give it all a good clean up and make sure though šŸ‘

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Today I bought ANOTHER genuine Bosch lambda sensor and returned the first one I got. This one was slightly different and had the clip that sits in the subframe so Iā€™m not sure just how genuine the original was.

B59546A3-AFD9-4BFF-8907-AA53F0FDBEF6.jpeg

Anyway, the codes are now gone and all is well in the world. Iā€™ve still got a bit of hesitation when first reviving but to be fair it just needs a good old run out to sort it now. The lambda graph with the new sensor is below:

B0722292-1EF6-438C-A261-578BB5571D4C.jpeg

The last job for today was to sort the bonnet catch. No pics but removed it and the latch was totally caked in s**t and jammed open. Cleaned it up, greased it then smothered it in copper grease and my bonnet now shuts and stays there for the first time in 2 years!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Took the car for a little drive today on my personal test track that is in no way the same or similar to the A1231. Findings are interesting... brakes are shite initially but work well under proper pedal pressure. I managed to get the abs to trigger so Iā€™ll try bleeding again and hopefully thatā€™ll clear the last of the air. Itā€™s also really quite quick but I have ALL the boost. I let it run up to temp and pottered round for a bit under mild throttle and the first attempt at full throttle it spiked at 25psi šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. It really did go very very well but decided it was probably best not to try it again. I have a feeling the actuator may need adjusted slightly haha!

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Took the car for a little drive today on my personal test track that is in no way the same or similar to the A1231. Findings are interesting... brakes are shite initially but work well under proper pedal pressure. I managed to get the abs to trigger so Iā€™ll try bleeding again and hopefully thatā€™ll clear the last of the air. Itā€™s also really quite quick but I have ALL the boost. I let it run up to temp and pottered round for a bit under mild throttle and the first attempt at full throttle it spiked at 25psi šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. It really did go very very well but decided it was probably best not to try it again. I have a feeling the actuator may need adjusted slightly haha!
Did a bit of you tubing on churbos......the waste gates themselves aren't as big as the Garretts they're based on and it looks like its a common mod to drill them out.
Obvs, with a smaller wastegste the actuator are has to open the flapper more the control the boost.

Worth a look at some of the YouTube vids on chinese turbo wategate porting

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Did a bit of you tubing on churbos......the waste gates themselves aren't as big as the Garretts they're based on and it looks like its a common mod to drill them out.
Obvs, with a smaller wastegste the actuator are has to open the flapper more the control the boost.

Worth a look at some of the YouTube vids on chinese turbo wategate porting

yeah I saw some vids on that. Iā€™m reasonably sure itā€™s the actuator though. I had it off and had to modify the bracket so it didnā€™t hit the bulkhead and just guesstimated with the rod length. Iā€™ll wind it in a bit and try again and hopefully all will be fine

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader

Little rocket! :ROFLMAO: I bet it's a great feeling driving it knowing you've turbo'd it yourself!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Little rocket! :ROFLMAO: I bet it's a great feeling driving it knowing you've turbo'd it yourself!

yeah it was great. After a few years of driving big German things it was actually really nice just to be back behind the wheel of something little too. Also Itā€™s insured but still lacks in mot and is sorn so the experience was slightly spoiled by making sure no policeman officers were on my private test track at the same time šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
25psi!!! Christ, are you eventually going to run boost control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, going for manual boost control so more boost = more throttle and less boost = less throttle šŸ˜‚

In seriousness no, not at the min. Once I get the actuator right itā€™ll be fine for low boost. If I go high boost at some point Iā€™ll get a boost controller of some flavour

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
After yesterdayā€™s escapades with all the boost, I adjusted the actuator arm and went for another test drive. I was on a different personal private track tonight which bore no resemblance in any way to the a195.

Anyway, I now donā€™t have all the boost, I have NO boost šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø. Spikes at about 3psi. Clearly Iā€™ve now gone too far the other way. Was far too hot to change tonight so Iā€™ll try again tomorrow. Third time lucky hopefully šŸ˜‚

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not much in the way of Clio updates, itā€™s been raining and itā€™s scared of the wet so stayed hidden in the garage. I did however, go to Greggs for a bacon sarnie this morning and the dad wagon looked pretty damn good in front of the sunrise
080C95D7-B2B5-4A8E-B8D3-B83340474A1D.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Finally got the boost right today. May still be a bit too high but one turn or so should do it. Itā€™s spiking to 10psi and holding 8 so only just too high.

Verdict..... What an absolute laugh it is. The car is a total waste of time. The roads were a bit greasy and damp from the frost last night and it was happily spinning in 4th šŸ˜‚. When it does eventually get grip or find some dry tarmac, I was really surprised at how fast it actually is. Obviously being french, rattly and noisy adds to it, but it seems really quite quick. I quickly managed to get the rust off the rear brakes and burn the crap that coats the new front disks with a few heavy braking attempts and the brembos feel fantastic.

Overall Iā€™m really, really pleased with it. It still idles like a sack of s**t, especially when cold so maybe some investigation to do there but thereā€™s no lights or fault codes so it canā€™t be too unhappy about it.

It certainly turned a few heads of the local dog walkers when it chattering and popping and banging when I was out in it šŸ˜‚. Itā€™s booked in for a MOT next week so once thatā€™s done I can take it out and properly enjoy it. Got a feeling unless the roads are bone dry itā€™s gonna be a bit pointless though šŸ¤£

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Finally got the boost right today. May still be a bit too high but one turn or so should do it. Itā€™s spiking to 10psi and holding 8 so only just too high.

Verdict..... What an absolute laugh it is. The car is a total waste of time. The roads were a bit greasy and damp from the frost last night and it was happily spinning in 4th šŸ˜‚. When it does eventually get grip or find some dry tarmac, I was really surprised at how fast it actually is. Obviously being french, rattly and noisy adds to it, but it seems really quite quick. I quickly managed to get the rust off the rear brakes and burn the crap that coats the new front disks with a few heavy braking attempts and the brembos feel fantastic.

Overall Iā€™m really, really pleased with it. It still idles like a sack of s**t, especially when cold so maybe some investigation to do there but thereā€™s no lights or fault codes so it canā€™t be too unhappy about it.

It certainly turned a few heads of the local dog walkers when it chattering and popping and banging when I was out in it šŸ˜‚. Itā€™s booked in for a MOT next week so once thatā€™s done I can take it out and properly enjoy it. Got a feeling unless the roads are bone dry itā€™s gonna be a bit pointless though šŸ¤£

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!! I don't need much now to start my build šŸ˜

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Please excuse the exhaust blowing itā€™s tits off, Iā€™ve ordered the wrong size sleeve to join the 172 and 182 sections. Thatā€™ll be sorted this weekend.

Ive got some idle issues as youā€™ll hear in the vid below. Itā€™s worse when cold like it is in the vid, but even when hot it seems flat and hunts all over at idle and when the revs drop itā€™ll cut out from time to time. Under load and at any normal revs itā€™s perfect and feels totally fine. Thereā€™s no lights and no fault codes either. Injectors, lambda, and map sensor are all brand new genuine parts and very recently fitted. The leads, plugs and coil pack are less new and were fitted around 18 months ago but have literally never been used with the car not having moved. They are genuine too. It was doing this prior to the turbo too, so itā€™s not something new. Not sure what else it could be, any ideas?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Still got idle issues but som stickers turned up today which made me very happy. They may not be to everyoneā€™s taste but I like them. Massive improvement over the thoroughly terrible condition the bullets were in

F5E662B1-65B5-4820-97C0-3136417292DF.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I spotted when I was on the treadmill mid week that the Clio had picked up quite a bit of salt last weekend so decided to drag it out for a wash today. Iā€™d fitted my new exhaust sleeve last night which has all but cured the blowing but all the pushing and pulling has moved the exhaust on the hangers slightly. Iā€™m gutted because it was sat perfectly. Anyway, got to say it looks pretty good out there in the winter sun. Thereā€™s a few marks from where itā€™s been garaged but on the most part the paint work is immaculate. Considering itā€™s never seen wax since 2017 and only been washed a handful of time since itā€™s not bad at all! Itā€™s booked in for a full correction including making the headlights clear again in April so it should look fantastic when thatā€™s done. I also properly fitted my head unit with the correct cage as it kept dropping out and taking chunks out of my knuckles last weekend too
ED4C50EF-5E73-4F7A-B95C-C3C4541B984C.jpeg
714450B5-B862-4524-B0A5-9BE509A386F9.jpeg
2BD036A1-FCC2-4355-906D-4E98D52684BB.jpeg
31A0FFFF-8BFA-4AF9-8E4E-1C2F7D6A7B64.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The misfire saga continues. I ordered some new plugs and leads which turned up today so got them fitted. Total pain in the arse having to split the inlet every time you want to do anything.
75D7D5FA-DE59-4AF3-841C-5B02ABCB4394.jpeg

I checked the gaps on the new plugs which were all spot on as expected. The old plugs looked a bit worse for wear. Amazing how bad they are considering theyā€™ve barely been used!
24131E15-0EED-4349-9DD4-127289AA69DA.jpeg

Got it all back together. Iā€™ve also got a battery cover arriving this week which should help tidy the bay up a bit
92897006-55D6-46FA-BC20-7B7DC8462041.jpeg

fired it up and itā€™s still exactly as it was! This is the issue that took the thing off the road in the first place! Itā€™s changed as parts have changed but still there. Itā€™s fine under load up the rev range but low down it totally flat. The vid below shows what itā€™s like when revving. The only other thing left to change is another coil pack but that was brand new and covered no miles too! Is there anything else obvious I could be missing?