ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 turbo black smoke

Clio 182
I'm not sure this has already been covered on here but I can't find anything on it...

I have a 182 which on the odd occasion when boosting will blow a load of black smoke out the exhaust. I have a straight threw exhaust as well. Iv spoken to engine dynamics who remapped it once I fitted the turbo and they said it's just unburdened fuel? Surely this can't be right? Has anyone has any experience with this and what could be causing it? Could it be be the map itself causing it?

Any help would be appreciated!

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
So I guess they remapped it like this as the engine is now running so much more power? As you say a safer way for the engine to run?
Well its away to keep the temps of the engine and exhaust temps down. The leaner it runs the more power but also hotter it all gets and det becomes a issue. How quickly is the exhaust tips sutting up?

Clio 182
Well its away to keep the temps of the engine and exhaust temps down. The leaner it runs the more power but also hotter it all gets and det becomes a issue. How quickly is the exhaust tips sutting up?
I wouldn't be able to say mate I have never thought about that tbh but it's good to know the reason behind it all!

RB Clio 182
Best off running rich(black smoke) than running lean and your engine melting.

I wouldnt worry about it, mines running a little rich too for safety.

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
Yup running rich to keep the cylinder temps down. Turbo Honda lumps are usually mapped to about 13:1 or even richer on the proper high hp builds to keep the temps down.