ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 top end rattle ?

Clio 200 + Clio 182
Right I've tried all I can to eliminate this misfire and horrible noise but I still have no idea what can be causing it.
Things I have changed:
Injectors
Spark Plugs
Leads
Coil Pack
Cam position sensor
It also has a brand new Dephaser.
The car is running 438 catcams and has a map on it from engine dynamics. The map was originally put on a different engine which I have swapped out as it wasn't making good power.

Anyway onto the noise:

As you can see the noise doesn't happen when you rev the car up slowly, only when revving fast.
Definitely sounds mechanical to me but surely the engine would have eaten itself by now. Other ideas are rattling tensioner.

Anyone got any ideas? 😧

I think the noise you mean is the induction noise. That's the loud "bite" you hear when you quickly open the throttle.
Try to put the airbox back and see if that was the noise you meant.

Clio 200 + Clio 182
The noise was a metallic rattling noise heard when I blip the throttle on the second half of the video.
Turns out the timing was wrong and the inlet cam had moved out of position. Strange seeing as I did the timing when the engine was out and checked it 4 or 5 times.
Have redone the timing and all seems to be well now. Pulls lovely all the way to the redline and the misfire is gone.
Was worried as it initially sounded terminal.

Clio 200 + Clio 182
Yes you have to rotate it twice anticlockwise to equalise the tension across the belt.
I checked and double checked when previously building the engine back up when it was out the car and it was fine so no idea what happened.