ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Steering Issue

2005 RS Clio 182
Hi, Was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this at all....

A few weeks ago when turning my steering on full lock, (at walking pace coming out of a parking space), the steering started to feel really odd, went light and made a banging noise every few seconds. It almost felt like your turning on a flat tyre. It now does this every time. It has also started to pick out contours in the road and get pulled around quite a bit.

Ive checked the tyre pressures and I have got an opinion from one mechanic who thinks i have a wheel bearing gone on one side, but he also reckons i might have play in the steering rack therefore needing a new one.

Spoke to Renault briefly and they reckon racks very rarely go. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas at all?

Any info or help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, T

CursedTitanium 182FF
I'm having intermittent variations on this, I'm starting to think it might be a drive shaft. Tram-lining & when turning near full lock, lets say to pull out of a junction sometimes it feels like the wheel is about to snap off.

2005 RS Clio 182
Thanks everyone. Got a few things to consider there. Ive stopped driving it now because it started whining xmas eve and i smelt a nasty chemical smell. Something deff not right. Getting it looked at soon so will let you know what it is. Thanks.