ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 speedometer accuracy?

mine seems to give a greater error at low speed say about 5-10% and when i get to about 70 -80 mph the accuracy when comapred with road angel speed is very good say about 2-3% out. readings are always slower than the road angel. i've not really looked to see if it goes the other way when above 90 say as i havent driven that fast ;P

Black/Gold 182
have you noticed how the dial and the cruise control don't match up? If I set 70 mph on the cruise control, the dial reads over 70.

Nissan 350Z
JBarber said:
have you noticed how the dial and the cruise control don't match up? If I set 70 mph on the cruise control, the dial reads over 70.

Yep, sure have. Strange...

Its a bit disconcerting in some ways as if yor using the cruise control to control your speed (like i sometimes do), i'm always slightly uncertain as to whether i should trust the speed the cruise is saying i'm doing or whether i should trust the dial...

dk

911 GTS Cab
i believe the cruise control is more accurate than the dial as my cruise displays the same speed as the gps

MINI JCW
On mine the speed set on the cruise control is exactly the same as the road angel (GPS), at 70mph on the road angel and crusie control the speedo normall reads 72/73mph

Black/Gold 182
it's a bit jobby though, ain't it. you would have thought they would both work off the same sensor. French electrics!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
does anyone elses speedo not really work at really low speeds? say like it wont move when your going along at 5mph, only really picks up above 10-15?

should i take it into the garage?

Black Gold 182
i set my cc at 50 in a 50 limit..and went past a speed detector which flashed at me for going over 50. strange!

I've got the same problem on my new 182, I find myself going by the dial and when I have the cruise on I might have to set it at slightly slower speed for speed camera etc....... does this happen on every 182?

the cruise control is the more acurate reading, tolerances in speedo's are allowed which is why you get the 10% off mr policeman.

its impossible for a 100% acurate speedo due to the differences you can have in tyre treads from 8mm to 1.6mm, the cruise control uses the engine ecu info so is the acurate one.

Tesla MP3 2021
ive got 2 gps systems (navam and road angel) and say if the car speedometer is 50 then they both read 48....quite good.
in my old mg there used to be 4 or even 5 mph difference.

RenaultSport clio182 B/G
when im at 70mph my sat nav (avic-x1) reads 66-67mph! took it to 120mph on the speedo and it read 113-114mph? so mines out too...
oh and the cc is almost spot on every time!

on the cruise control digital speedo bit, according to my tom tom gps, mine is 1mph too fast.

the anologue gauge is an extra 1-2mph too fast.

Shhh
i had a speedo changed under warranty for the cc speed to be out on the speedo.

It was better when changed, not as bad..

106 GTi
On mine:

50 mph on Cruise = 50 Mph on Road Angel, Speedo shows 52/53

70 mph on Cruise = 69 Mph on Road Angel, Speedo shows 73/74

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
polarbert said:
does anyone elses speedo not really work at really low speeds? say like it wont move when your going along at 5mph, only really picks up above 10-15?

should i take it into the garage?

does anybody know about this? ^^^^^

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Phil 172 said:
i set my cc at 50 in a 50 limit..and went past a speed detector which flashed at me for going over 50. strange!

Are you reffering to those signs which say "your speed" blah blah?

If you're talking about an actual camera this seems very unlikely as speed cameras are set to trigger at 10% + 2mph i.e. 50mph = 50mph + 10% (5mph) + 2mph so it would only trigger at 57mph.

I'd be MUCH more inclined to trust the GPS speed as this is =>99% accurate. it's calculated by distance in relation to your longitude and latitude and is a hell of a lot more accurate than the speedo which i believe is linked to your gearbox.

The syncro on my gearbox is way out and my speedo reads 36mph when im actually doing 30mph (counter balanced now by my alloy wheels 3mph out now).

Around my area (Northumberland) we have alot of signs around schools which have "your speed XX" they flash when you're doing even 1mph over the limit. These all read the exact same as my TomTom and my brothers RoadAngel. I'd be more inclined to believe them as there also placed around speed cameras in my area.