ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182. How many miles would I get to a full tank on a motorway journey?

artic blue clio 182
I have a Clio 182 and my girlfriends got me a driving experience in an Aston Martin and a Lambo, it's just past Birmingham 180 miles each way has anyone ever had 360 miles to one tank?

GSXR + KDX220
I normally get around 300 cruising, but thats not doing 60mph the whole way! How ever do people get 400??

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Should be able to do that easy.

Mine does 330 to the fuel light smashing its head in.

artic blue clio 182
I think it's 50 then a litre reserve so 55 litres, I got 38mpg on a 30 mile motorway journey last night at 65 so on paper it should piss it but whether it does or not is another question

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
400 miles, 50 litre tank is average of 36.4MPG.

In my experiance that would be very unlikely, unless you actually drive at 56MPH for 400 miles.

I used to get 320 and then see the light so that's doable if you are willing to sit at a steady 65-70ish I'd have thought.

Personally I'd get bored and just choose to fill up somewhere and drive at speeds that aren't mind numbing though.

182cup & 172 racecar
I have a Clio 182 and my girlfriends got me a driving experience in an Aston Martin and a Lambo, it's just past Birmingham 180 miles each way has anyone ever had 360 miles to one tank?

I think you will find that there are Petrol stations up that way.

GSXR + KDX220
Ditto! There's a balance between driving slow and being bored and driving a bit quicker for a few quid extra lol :)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've seen 410 out of a tank before so i'd say 400 on a motorway is easily achievable.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Be a close call I'd say. Leave half hour earlier so you can cruise there rather than rush if your chasing mpg figures.

Listerine & Poledo
Oh look, an MPG thread!

If you take out the back seats you'll get extra mileage. Power-to-weight IIRC

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Easily.

I got an average of 37.6mpg on my commute to work this morning. After my 20 mile trip I have 409 miles worth of fuel left according to the trip computer. This is after I filled up this morning, reset the trip, 15mpg from the petrol station to the motorway, 65/70 on the motorway for 15 miles and then a town drive for the remaining 5.

Listerine & Poledo
The on-board computer is quite......well, it's a liar.

Brim-to-brim full-ups will show you're probably 4/5mpg worse than that.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I drive from Aberdeen to home regularly - dependant on if its Elizabeth mums or mine - the journey is circa 400 miles.

Out of a tank which is brimmed before setting off, I usually get about 300 miles - but that's when the tank is on its final eighth. I don't like to leave it much more in case of a crash/Bad traffic/the next services are a long way away. Probably 50 miles or so left if you we're to drive to empty. Going through parts of the journey there is some stop start (Dundee) and this time the cruise was set at 75. I find it hard to believe anyone in a 182 could breach 400 - 172s are lightly better on fuel and van maybe see them going an extra 20 miles or so.

Clio 197
I find it hard to believe too , go on then who is going to top 450 miles , 500 anyone ..... Haha

Ibiza FR Edition
Set cruise control at 60-65 brim tank easily doable I would say, I usually do 300 miles or so before filling up can only squeeze 35litres in the tank so there is still some left, I wouldnt risk it though I would just fill up when you get there. I do drive mostly for mpg though so I think it mostly reflects my driving style.

clio diesel
Going motorway speeds takes the revs quite high on a f4r. If you drop speed to keep the revs lower you get a large increase in mpg, more than you would see on another car without the high revs.

For example, my avensis sits a good 1500 revs lower than the clio. Dropping speed in the avensis does not save as much fuel as dropping the same speed in the clio. You only have to do 10-15mph less to see a large increase in mpg.

04BGFF182CLIORS
120 from £20 is fairly easy, based on roughly £60 to fill up, I would say 360 would be your ball park figure.

clio 172, mondeo td
glad ive only got a 1.4 16v when i read these threads, tanked it up at fort william and ran back home to meltham, west yorkshire and still had about 70 miles left on the range, plus once we got on the m74 it was just about 80 all the way down, just slowed a little bit to swap lanes crossing over motorways.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
50* litre tank, 11 gallon roughly. 400 miles would mean averaging 36.4mpg...

*guessing

BG 182 FF
Going motorway speeds takes the revs quite high on a f4r. If you drop speed to keep the revs lower you get a large increase in mpg, more than you would see on another car without the high revs.

For example, my avensis sits a good 1500 revs lower than the clio. Dropping speed in the avensis does not save as much fuel as dropping the same speed in the clio. You only have to do 10-15mph less to see a large increase in mpg.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, it gets more economical above 2k. I get better economy in 4th at 40 than I do in 5th at 40.

If you cruise at 56, you'll get >40mpg btw. However, you'll also fall asleep due to not having to pay any attention to anything what so ever, crash into the central reservation and therefore have to pay for car repairs, therefore driving slower is less economical.

Not that I give a f**k, I bought this car knowing MPG was not going to be brilliant and budgeted for it so I drive as fast as I deem appropriate.

RB 182
I take it back. I just found a photo on my phone of my trip to Nottingham. I got 44mpg on the way there (utter lies) and then 34 on the way back.

I did 386 miles in total and was just about peppered for fuel. I'd say you could do it, but as mentioned, you'll die of boredom letting mini metros pass you in the middle lane.

All motorway sitting at 70 is very doable.

My trip mpg sits at around 37ish doing about 60/70% motorway driving sitting at 60-70mph, and the trip says I have about 420 miles till empty with a full tank.

Have gone from Glasgow to fife to Aberdeen and back on one tank which is about 160 miles each way iirc and still had just under a 1/4 of a tank left. So you should be fine :)

Listerine & Poledo
Jesus H.

Miles "to a tank" - when do you give in and fill it up again?
Miles to the £ - how much did the fuel cost?

Back in '02 I'd have got from here to Belgium for £50, now I might just make Brighton.

Equally, if I fill up the second the gauge moves from its stop, Id get 50 miles "to the tank".

Accurate MPG calculation isn't the thing of genius, but it does require a modicum of intellect, reseting a trip computer and some actual maths.

Brim-to-brim, how many litres?
Convert to gallons (4.56? / Imp Gal?)
Miles covered / gallons = "real" MPGs

Every other way is less accurate, like a 200hp ph2 that got its figures from an iPhone app...and an eBay chip

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yes you can easily get 400 miles to a tank on the right journey. My Trophy will do 40mpg on long stretch journeys with no stop start. I don't get bored though, I can sit at 60 all day long.