ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Cranks for a couple of seconds but no joy, and Renault want £700...

Clio RS 182 (2004)
Hi all

I was removing my aftermarket stereo, amps, speakers and sub from my Clio 182 (2004) so I thought I'd best disconnect the battery first as a precaution. All equipement is now removed and the battery is re-installed but the car wont start. It cranks for a few seconds but no joy. The battery is fine, ring decoder had been checked by removing the key blade from the fob and trying it on its own and by removing the decoder ring altogether. The AA have been out and luckily the bloke who attended had had 3 Clio 182's of his own and was very thorough. All fuses and relays in the cabin and engine bay are okay, but he found that there is no switching voltage going to fuel pump or the injectors.

When I was reinstalling the battery I connected the terminals in the correct way: positive to positive, neg to neg, but when I was tightening the terminals with the ratchet spanner I inadvertently touched the chassis the with the spanner. It made a slight snap noise but nothing major. Surely the car is grounded for things like this?
Also, when I pulling the audio leads through from underneath the carpet is it possible I may have disconnected something by accident? Is there any critical wiring that is lurking down the centre channel of the car between the seats and the gear stick?

Renault have connected it to their ZX Spectrum 48K Diagnostic thingy and reckon they can't clear some fault codes in the injection computer and want 700 bucks to replace it and they are not even sure it's definately at fault.

Any help or expertise would be greatly appreciated as I really hate walking and hate giving £700 out even more!

Thanks

Steve

Arctic Blue FF 182
2-3 seconds of cranking sounds very much like the immobiliser. The immobiliser dash light operating correcting?

is the imobilier light goes out ?

Is the car getting fuel?

Are you getting a spark?

Is the battery any good?

Is the starter sounding like its enough power to start the car?

Tried bump starting?

mk2 ph2 172 Flamer
yeah sounds like the immo, can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn your key? (it's under the back seat on drivers side, if you lift it up you should be able to hear it pumping).

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
We still don't know what the imob LED is doing yet; flashing or staying.

Its very rare these things are actually an imob issue though.

Mick

Clio Sport 172 Cup
I am having same problem with my 2002 172 cup. turns over for a couple of seconds then cuts out. when key goes into the ignition immob light on dash stays solid red and does not flash. Only after the cut out the light goes off completly.

Any one have any ideas on how to over ride this problem??

2001 1.2 Clio Black.
Just a hunch , it could be the ECU confused due to the battery being off and and back on?

Dont quote me on that ;)

BG 182
I am having same problem with my 2002 172 cup. turns over for a couple of seconds then cuts out. when key goes into the ignition immob light on dash stays solid red and does not flash. Only after the cut out the light goes off completly.

Any one have any ideas on how to over ride this problem??

search my latest thread in the 'Fault section'. quite a common prob