ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Clunking noise

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT

Hi there.

I have had my clio 182 for 2 months now and have finally got over selling my Focus RS. The clio has been run in and I am chuffed with the performance. If you ever fancy having a crack with an RS focus on a non busy road, then dont look a fool, the RS will eat ya for breakfast, but then again the car is £7K more.

Anyway, I have noticed a clunking/knocking noise when I take my foot of the accelerator quickly in 1st and 2nd gears. Is this normal? Is it common.

It appears that it is coming from the driver side of the car.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Its a common problem the engine moves about hitting the stearing rack, heat shield, air con pipes whatever it can resulting in the noise.

Yaris Hybrid

Everyone has this, a search would bring up so many threads you would never have time to read through them all.

Bottom line is that not one single person other than dave182 has ever had this successfully fixed.

You can talk to 100 different Renault mechanics and they will all give a different explanation yet they will all fail to fix it.

You are probably best off waiting until the first service which is probably what I will do too as opposed to booking it in to have it fixed.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by judder on 05 December 2004

Hi there.

I have had my clio 182 for 2 months now and have finally got over selling my Focus RS. The clio has been run in and I am chuffed with the performance. If you ever fancy having a crack with an RS focus on a non busy road, then dont look a fool, the RS will eat ya for breakfast, but then again the car is £7K more.

Anyway, I have noticed a clunking/knocking noise when I take my foot of the accelerator quickly in 1st and 2nd gears. Is this normal? Is it common.

It appears that it is coming from the driver side of the car.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Is the Rs really that much quicker to make 182s look like fools ?

Not trying for one second to say a 182 is quicker but i did not think the gap was that big in terms of performance.Just had a quick search and rifled through a few mags and stuff and if figures are to be believed it doesnt seem that its a car to make a 182 look a fool. :confused:

[Edited by Funkyjahooner on 05 December 2004 at 6:51pm]

Of course the Rs is quicker than the 182, but its not by much,

went out a couple of months ago for a quick run with one mate in a Focus RS and another in a Cooper S with the works kit, and there wasnt much between the 3 cars, I was suprised as much as anything.

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT

Im talking from 50-130+ as I have tested in Germany.

The clio is good, dont get me wrong but you have to work the gears. The RSF pulls well in 3rd from 40 all the way up to 90.

Ill just have to accept the knocking noises. although it does not seem right for a brand new car.

There is one bonus from having a clio 182.... Is does not get all the attention that the RSF gets which used to pee me off after a while..

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by judder on 06 December 2004
Im talking from 50-130+ as I have tested in Germany.The clio is good, dont get me wrong but you have to work the gears. The RSF pulls well in 3rd from 40 all the way up to 90.Ill just have to accept the knocking noises. although it does not seem right for a brand new car.There is one bonus from having a clio 182.... Is does not get all the attention that the RSF gets which used to pee me off after a while..

Steve and I have also tried this 182 vs. FRS and I can confirm that he kept pulling away from me from 80+, cant comment 0-60 but higher up it really does pull significantly from the clio, I even have a video of his doing it. This too was in Germany.

As far as the knocking goes, mine went in twice and on the second attempt they fixed it, could be either an engine mount, heat shield around the exhaust or the exhaust bowing in the middle (less likely to be this one) as all three were fixed and it stopped the knocking. Still cant believe nobody is getting this fixed, I thought my dealer was sh*te but they seem to be to do something most others cant!