ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 wont start after battery disconnect

Clio 172 Cup
I changed the door loom on my 172 cup 2002 as had a melted mirror switch ages ago

Disconnected battery, stripped door card off, changed loom, changed blown fuse and reconnected battery all on Saturday

Verified mirror switch worked fine, as did radio and clock as seem to be on same fuse

Sunday eve went out to start car for first time and doesn't turn over. I assume red light with ignition on means immobiliser not off

Key fob locks and unlocks fine, though initially drivers door didn't lock but I thought maybe I'd not pushed the connector on enough. Drivers door seems to have magically fixed itself.

Read lots of posts giving different things, have disconnected battery, turned key to first click, reconnected battery still nothing. Repeated with key on second click, nothing. Also read about pushing central locking button on dash for 20 seconds, turning key mor than 20 times on and off but all make no difference... Car wont turn over and immobiliser red light stays on after all other go off. Car only came with one key so can't try another, but must be related to battery disconnect as has been fine since I bought the car 12 months ago

Any other ideas for the correct sequence when reconnecting the battery?

Thanks!

Clio 172 Cup
I've checked every single fuse but they are all ok

The immobiliser light stays solid once the ignition is on, reading dozens of other posts it looks like this means there is another fault rather than the key fob is not recognised?

I'll check the wires and relay connections in the box next to the battery tonight in case I've knocked something

Fiesta ST2 MP215
When you reconnected the battery the Ignition was in position 1 right? if they key was out it can cause damage / shorting to all sorts. People will advise against this but it does happen more often than we'd like to think. the issue will lie with the ECU / Immobilizer.

Clio 172 Cup
first time reconnecting the battery the key was out of the ignition
then tried various combinations of the key turned postion 1 (1 click round) and position 2 (2 clicks round)
Just checked and all relays seem fine, they certainly have not been knocked

When I turn the key to try and start there is a "click" of some relays (red light st

Is there anyway to check the ECU ... will an OBD-II tester help? I've seen one diagnostic online is to push the button at the end of the wiper stalk whilst turning the key, does that actually work?

I have booked an auto electrician but they can't come out till Thursday and I'm supposed to be driving to Germany to the Nurbirgring on Friday!!!

edited to add: I've ordered one of these for tomorrow in case it will help with the diagnosis!!
U480 OBD2 EOBD Diagnostic Code Scanner CAN-Bus Trouble Code Read
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FOIC3I/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
Doubtful, to be honest. Does the engine not even turn at all? Just because if it's the immobilizer it will turn, lights will flash but will not fire up, will just turn until the battery runs out or floods.

Can you upload a vid of this? My immobilizer light does not go off until the engine is on..... I think.

​Would be helpful to see and or hear whats going on.

Not sure what a solution is, but if it's a soilid red light it's not your immobiliser. Don't keep trying to crank your car over, if the light doesn't go off when at position 2 it's not going to start even if it cranks a couple of times sounding like it will.

Ive had had this a couple if times and not actually found a solution as it is intermittent. My guess could be is that you've possibly got a faulty wire around the battery compartment where the main loom is and when messing with the battery it's caught it and caused this issue. Have a search around on here there are quite a few people with the same problem and lots of solutions on what it could be.

Clio 172 Cup
Solved it!

Engine did not turn at all, I didn't realise the engine still cranked if immobilised. After much prodding and poking and pulling fuses and relays tried connecting a jump lead from the battery earth to the engine block ... fired straight up and ran perfectly! Remove the Jump lead and red light and nothing. So very dodgy earth strap is the cause!

Odd there was enough earth connection to power lights on full beam, windows, locking etc!