ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 vs 106 gti

Meg 230 f1
Is it me being stupid or my mate at work he thinks his gti would bet my 172 and i keep saying no chance, is there?, hopefuly not coz going to drag him at santa pod next sunday.:eek:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
The 172 is quicker as standard, but don't underestimate the 106 GTi, especially if it's had any breathing mods...

I've had both and the 106 is a cracking car!

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Had a tussle with 106gti round Donny, no competion realy...172 all the way....and that was my first visit to Donny too.

Meg 230 f1
well mine has re-map cat back exhaust and cold air indution kit and his has striaght through exhaust and cone air fillter plus about 90,000 miles lol

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
my mate has a gti engined 1.1 106, stripped out, gonna have to see how the valver stands up against it with the 172 lump in :D good i hope lol

You wont notice any difference at all. f**k up a gear change and you'll lose! ;)

yup, totally agree, from a rolling start I've found the Ph2 no faster than a valver, but I'm sure some will disagree... but then the NW seems to house the quick Clio's lol

Will you go out with me Jon?

lol

pics or STFU ;) lol

sickens me when i hear 106 gti's are about same speed as 172's lol.

aye, bit annoying, but I'd still wager the 172 being faster above 100mph, but by that point the 106gti has already proven its point lol

MCS R56
I've never had any probs seeing off GTi's. Not too much in it to 60, maybe a second but there after - no problem at all. Be confident and you will smoke him on a drag.

you have a Cup, which is about 80-90kg's lighter and tend to make quoted power though. Cup's have always impressed me, Phase 2 normal ones not so... lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
no phase 1 Ever beat my old 172 in any trim of tuning!

Anyway 106 isn't all that impressive, tanked numerous!

i got humped by a 106gti once in my 182, he was 4 up! i was on my own..

must have had some serious work done lol... i hope ha ha

no phase 1 Ever beat my old 172 in any trim of tuning!

Anyway 106 isn't all that impressive, tanked numerous!

yours seemed to be one of the rare quick ones... but then again you hid up in the mountains shying away from a real test ;) My old ass Williams would have spanked it into the middle of next week sonny

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
yup, totally agree, from a rolling start I've found the Ph2 no faster than a valver, but I'm sure some will disagree... but then the NW seems to house the quick Clio's lol

The 172s have the CC which does take some power away from the engine...thats why they struggle to make the same power (not talking about weight) as the Cups.

My Cup originally came from the NW....maybe thats why its fast! ;)

Now its gotten used to the nice Telford air and the decent roads, its gotten better!

Meg 230 f1
Peugeot106 GTi 1.6-
power -120
bhp/ton - 130.40
0-60 - 8.14sec
0-100 - 23.81sec

RenaultClio Sport 172 mk1
power - 170
Bhp/ton - 163.11
0-60 - 6.69sec
0-100 - 17.65

The 172s have the CC which does take some power away from the engine...thats why they struggle to make the same power (not talking about weight) as the Cups.

My Cup originally came from the NW....maybe thats why its fast! ;)

Now its gotten used to the nice Telford air and the decent roads, its gotten better!

to be fair, even with AC off Laura's is slower than I'd expect, she never uses it anyway lol

Yours is still a NW car though Donny, just keeping these southern softies on an even keel, should be nice now it's run in a bit I bet?

still cant see how it can be quicker coz the clio is only a 100 kg more and it also have more bhp/ton

Its not quicker. Over 1/4mile with a good launch and good changes you will win, but you wont smoke him.

The figures distort things a fair bit IMO. There isnt a big gap like they claim. On the road ive never been "beaten" there doesnt seem to be a very big gap in the real world.

You can spout figures til the cows come home, it doesnt mean s**t once you're out and driving.

still cant see how it can be quicker coz the clio is only a 100 kg more and it also have more bhp/ton

Its not quicker. Over 1/4mile with a good launch and good changes you will win, but you wont smoke him.

The figures distort things a fair bit IMO. There isnt a big gap like they claim. On the road ive never been "beaten" there doesnt seem to be a very big gap in the real world.

You can spout figures til the cows come home, it doesnt mean s**t once you're out and driving.

completely agree, hence why I've always and still do think the Cup and Williams are the quickest 2.0 RS' if you have a perfect example of each

VaVa
No way. That's bullshit. I've driven about 8 ph2 172's and even the slower one (52 plate monaco from the burton area if anybody now owns it lol) would piss all over a 100 bhp 106.

a thirsty one
i had a 106gti for the last 5 years with breating mods nothing major just the usual it was 140bhp at fly and removed spare (full size) wheel i never went up against a 172 but i mate bought a 182ff and managed to pull a few lengths on me from rolling start on long straight roads, i actually bought the car off him a few months later.

given a tight twisty lane though i enjoyed the gti more than i do the 182. gti had uprated suspension,braces and brakes though so maybe not fair to do direct comparison.

MCS R56
Those figures arent accurate.

Me and Day (mk1 172) had some motorway playtime, nothing in it upto stupid speeds.

They may not be accurate but it's still around 5 seconds quicker to 100mph (the 172). That's a fair difference imo.

0-100 is a better test of a car's acceleration, I think.