ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 track build

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll be honest, I always thought you could run a higher compression ratio with E85 due to it being higher octane than petrol, and the fact that it also runs cooler. Not sure those 423's will like the 11.1:1 ratio, as they're normally much happier running in the 12's.
I've seen them make the same power and torque as 421's in an 11.x:1 ratio engine.

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
I'll be honest, I always thought you could run a higher compression ratio with E85 due to it being higher octane than petrol, and the fact that it also runs cooler. Not sure those 423's will like the 11.1:1 ratio, as they're normally much happier running in the 12's.
I've seen them make the same power and torque as 421's in an 11.x:1 ratio engine.
Have had the exact discussion with my engine builder. He made a very good piont. He has seen bad batches of E85 ie not enough ethanol and he has seen engines go pop because of that. Rather be safe and a little less power than go pop. The EMS will handle the compression ratio no probs

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Also the good thing about those pistons is they can be machined to increase ratio if required

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Have had the exact discussion with my engine builder. He made a very good piont. He has seen bad batches of E85 ie not enough ethanol and he has seen engines go pop because of that. Rather be safe and a little less power than go pop. The EMS will handle the compression ratio no probs

I take it the regular pump fuel ain't so good over in Oz then? Assuming that's the reason you're going for E85?

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
I take it the regular pump fuel ain't so good over in Oz then? Assuming that's the reason you're going for E85?
Its a track car im only going for E85 for 1 reason more power. The car has to be NA to be classed under 2L and there are alot of hondas running close to or above 250 hp at the flywheel im racing against.

I need a little more help than just the renault race yellow

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Its a track car im only going for E85 for 1 reason more power. The car has to be NA to be classed under 2L and there are alot of hondas running close to or above 250 hp at the flywheel im racing against.

Well it'll certainly be interesting to see how much power it makes. When's the build happening?

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio

Thats why i love a track only car. I know what I want to achieve and I dont have to compramise...

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
It will be finished (hopefully) in 2 weeks time. Just waiting for a few parts from the UK.

Season starts in march 2018 so time to have a few shake down track days. Really looking forward to thrashing it up to an inch of its life. Hence the need for safety built in.

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
How you finding the B14's?
The fronts are good. The rears i cant get low enough. Im trying to run the car at the minimum 100mm to ground height with a 5mm rake front to back to get the very very small available underbody effect at that height. Any suggestions for the rears as the springs and shocks are not the traditional coilover setup but seperate. Should i go cook springs on the rear?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The fronts are good. The rears i cant get low enough. Im trying to run the car at the minimum 100mm to ground height with a 5mm rake front to back to get the very very small available underbody effect at that height. Any suggestions for the rears as the springs and shocks are not the traditional coilover setup but seperate. Should i go cook springs on the rear?

For what you're doing I'm amazed that you're not finding them too soft tbh. Only way to get the rear lower is custom rear springs, or go for coilover rear.

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Any suggestions for the absolutly useless 5 gear ratio?

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
For what you're doing I'm amazed that you're not finding them too soft tbh. Only way to get the rear lower is custom rear springs, or go for coilover rear.
Cant really tell yet as the car was so underpowered compared to the field. Still alot of fun go carting it around. I usually use my other car a 2011 XKR Jag for track days so its like chalk and cheese. The amazing thing is with only 97kw atw on the original engine it was only 7 sec slower than the jag at phillip island (a power curcuit with lap time of about 2 mins)

I found myself pushing the accelorator thtougb the firewall hence the upgrades. Decided to turn a 5 year development plan into a 5 month development plan.

I dont care what mix of upgrades make me go faster i just want to go faster.

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Finding it too high? Jc5 106 5th gear will help that. I have part numbers somewhere if you need them.
If that is known to work that would be fantastic.

Ive been looking at the ones on ktec and pure. Dont want to reinvent the wheel what do you think?

Yes 5th is way too long. Didnt bother using it.

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
The engine is finally together and going in with the 5th gear upgrade and the quaiffe tommorow.

Its looking beastly

Not much time until the first round next weekend.

Car still has to be dynoed and checked before next thursday.

Then practice day Friday and race saturday and sunday followed up by racing friday saturday and sunday the following weekend.

I want to do some honda passing.
image005.jpg
race car rhs.jpg

3 x 13 racing. 3 x the luck

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Its taken a few more days than expected, the guys will work through to late in the night so I can pick up the car at 8am for my first practice at 10am for improved production U2L race on saturday and Sunday.
dea4522a3a8301685509d1f8b32de439.jpg
e4c4954d90bc71f77add84ae9ec7a3ea.jpg

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Faaaark car not ready its been with the engine builder 5 months and im sitting at home waiting when I should be practicing.

FFS i feel like strangling this guy but hes the only renault expert in town.

See my carport below its missing my friggen car.
e311362a391c3e331c5f84a6675e6d4f.jpg
51dcaaddc988ad2d99c7f6350bb68579.jpg

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
After mucking around all day just got a call to collect my trailer as there wont be any car ready this weekend after 5 months.
1cf0cfa5a6a6ac315d4f81db4e5a56f3.jpg

SG9 Forester STi
Enjoyed reading this, such a shame that its not ready to be picked up. The engine looks cracking!
Will be keeping a close eye on this one as we've just bought a 172 for track. Fingers crossed you get it back soon!

Rather good read.
Enjoyed watching the wallet flying out... the bit I’m not looking forward to in the disappointment..

Why I think you’ll be disappointed... I don’t think, even with all the work that’s been done, that you’ll be keeping up with/going past the honda’s that you’ve struggled with last season... I really hope I am wrong, because I hate the ‘Honda boy’ persona and it would be painful after this huge build to then have to build a Honda!

Like I said, I hope I am wrong and I hope to see that you’ve picked it up in the next update

Good luck for this season bud

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Not auto paris competition systems. Its an absolute disappointment as Pat at compition systems has agencies for all the good bits for clios and has in the past experience at developing clio ralley cars for the australian Ralley series. Products like Jenvey, wossner, race sim, ect ect. Hes a nice guy but is very inaccurate with where the build is, he gives where he imagines the build should be rather than where it is. ( hes a bulshitter for sure but I dont feel its deliberate)

It is so frustrating. FFS WHO CANT PUT A MOTOR TOGETHER AFTER 5 MONTHS. Went to the race today and if the car was finished im sure I would have been up the front.

The car with an engine that was basically gone at 90hp, tyres that were down to the carcus and flat spotted and brakes that wernt working properly was doing 1.32 at sandown.

I have stripped the car after this as well and the leaders today qualified in the high 1.26's.

Soooo frustrating. Even worse this has effected the entire field as there is only 9 cars running so now under 2lt and over 2lt grids have been combined. If i was running there would be 10 cars = 2 grids

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Im pretty sure ive seen pics of your car last week. Did you have a guy called Anthony who has a red Trophy helping you with your rear brakes and had a bleed screw break. Car looked amazing in his pictures if it is yours - was a silver 172 with silver brembos, cant be too many in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Shame it wasn't ready, what sort of times are you expecting at Sandown ?
I would expect to be near the top of the time sheet which makes it even more frustrating

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Im pretty sure ive seen pics of your car last week. Did you have a guy called Anthony who has a red Trophy helping you with your rear brakes and had a bleed screw break. Car looked amazing in his pictures if it is yours - was a silver 172 with silver brembos, cant be too many in Melbourne.
No that must be a differenyt one. There was a silver 172 at the last MSCA track day, I think that might be the car your thinking of. He has some good PMS bits on his car.