ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Starting/Immobiliser fault?

I've read a few posts with a similar sounding problem that I am currently having, but I haven't solved my problem yet...

I unlock the car with the key fob (brand new battery), get in with the immobiliser light flashing.

I turn on the ignition (2 clicks) and all the check lights come on, the immobiliser light now solid.

After a few seconds they go off, excluding the stop light and the battery light etc - which I believe is normal until a car engine is running.

I turn the key... nothing. I can hear a relay click and the (fuel pump whine?) is primed, but there isn't even a cough/splutter or any attempt to turn over.

Which makes me feel like it could be electrical? Immobiliser?

I had the battery load tested a week ago, as I got back from holidays (2 weeks away) and found the car lifeless. It was jump started and taken to a garage where the battery was charged and load tested - fine. I drove home and used the car a few days later too. I have only left the car standing for 4 days after my last drive and this now happens, I've not been able to get it started at all (unlike some users that have persevered with the key blip on/off).

Help please?!

Update... it started!!

All I did was open the fuse box and press down on every fuse, making sure they were all in correctly. I'm not convinced this is the last of it though... Thoughts?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Pull each fuse and relay one at a time, note it's location, then clean the connectors on both sides (use an electrical contact cleaner if you can).

Corrosion at the 15A and 30A blade fuses and the main power latches can cause a lot of problems often mis-diagnosed as imob faults. Failing wiring looms are another to but they're not as easy to check for so start simple with te above first. Any crusty white or green shiz is generally bad mmm Kay

Mick

Thanks for the info! I'll give them all a good checking over and cleaning if the problem persists, but if it's okay, I might leave it and never touch them again! I barely even touched them, electrical demons hey!

Clio 172 RS2
If it's the immobiliser the immo light should be flickering whilst trying to start, as to being faulty.
Synchronizing out of order or the starter ring at the steering contact.

I had this intermittent problem of my Clio not starting / starting too.

Checked.:
- battery all good
- battery ground lead / mass wire all good
- fuses all good
- TDC sensor all good (quite a hassle getting that thing out!)

So when turning the key through at once (i normally wait for the fuel pump to prime) it cranks the starter motor over but engine won't catch!?
When turning the the key to 'contact on' and then turning it further nothing happens (starter motor won't crank)!?

So one day i took it out for a drive, parked her up... after getting back in after some time it wouldn't turn over.
Jump start got it going again. Got home parked and shut down the engine, trying to start again nothing happens.
Following morning it starts!?

So booked in at the stealers, for fault reading the ECU.
After some research/checking it is some wiring and a big fuse being faulty under the scuttle panel.
Took the mechanics some time to diagnostic had to come back a day later.

It runs fine now!

ps. a befriended Renault mechanic thought it was the TDC sensor, after calling him over the phone explaining all. Apperently there's a new improved one (blue type) with updated wiring loom.

Golf GTD Mk7
^^^Solid red also means immobiliser issue mate. Be it wiring, UCH or earth related. Can-bus is a common issue which causes a permanently immobilised car. As you say though, flickering immobiliser light usually means key unvalidated or barrel reader.

It's bizarre. I have not had any issues (touch wood) for some time now. All that I do differently from before ever having this issue in the first place, is wait for the fuel pump to prime and for the immobiliser light to go off (after say 5 seconds of switching on the ignition). Then I turn the key and off we go. I can't say whether it will return, I hope not as this seems to be fine! Perhaps it was me being a little too eager to jump in and start it and not allowing time for the car to boot up?! But for now it is fine. Now all I have to do is see to the engine 'whine/pulley' noise... Hm

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Thread resurrection. Getting a similar thing on mine only last few days
After turning to ignition, Immobilser light either continues to flicker, or stays solid red, and car wont start
Every 6th or 7th time of turniing ignition off/on, the light stays out and the engine starts and runs fine

Had problems with the TDC sensor couple weeks back, and put in a new (Cheapo) one. Worked fine for a week or 2, now this. Would the TDC playing up cause immobilser issues? I only stuck a cheapo in at the time as that's all I had- I have a better quality one now but have already taken out and cleaned the original, and then later replaced with a cheapo.

Would it help to change up to the decent one or is the immobilser a different, unconnected, issue?