ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - slow progress project

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Just found a new gearbox for my Clio, so no more problems with it.
Found a 4-2-1 manifold on a ebay auction and get it for around 70 pounds.
I63zwkY.jpg

wER6o3H.jpg

I will try to have in summer a new B14 setup. Should I get solid mounts or just new stock ones? Also if you could please tell me the Renault part number, I just get the Lemforder one.

Thanks

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
yAQkLlz.jpg

I really like the old style tails, there are not many ph2 clios that have fitted this.
I hope this month could install the new manifold with a stainless steel custom 2.5" pipe line.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Ua4jBil.jpg

Managed to get a scenic shifter for 20 pounds, bend the rod and add the yanoo 3.0 kit. I cut around 1" and 1/2 from the rod and plastic reverse tube. Now it have to be a little taller than stock but also shorter distance to gear changes.
Next month I will put this on the car and also a "new" gearbox from a 182 Clio and hope with this solve the synchro problems.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
MBmeU9G.jpg

I've just replace the gearbox, both driveshafts and full 2.5" exhaust with 182manifold.
What i've notice when I take down the gearbox, that it was jc5 109 one from old Megane?!

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
NkhNL7e.jpg

I've installed the Yanoo kit with the scenic shifter. A big difference tbh and really like it. I save money for a rebuild gearbox because of the increase rev limit and the scenic shifter the synchros hates me :)), 3rd one is gone.
Next on wishlist:
20mm spaces all around
Installing the B14
182 trim on the exhaust tip

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi there,

I've installed on my clio a pair of new brake hoses

I also order a pair of oem cup shocks and eibach sportlines. The car is mainly used daily, so I've read that this is an ok setup.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
...and some interior parts painted

...and added a custom holder for phone, it is integrated in the dash and has charging cable always plugged in.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I get a SuperSprint 172 exhaust, the one with the visible tip. I did not like it and made my own tip from a stainless still pipe. I buy the gasket kit for the Renault and start bend the pipe and make a full stainless still exhaust line.

YcssFgd.jpg

EYgeot2.jpg

yHSNLuo.jpg

0XbMxhk.jpg

8LTceXZ.jpg

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I've got a juddering problem on low RPMs and need to find out why and solve it. But the plans are:
Install the B14s
Install a pair of 172 cup whishbones and alignment
And install another left driveshaft. I get the right one from here and now the left one. They are in a great shape and change both of them.
I've just put a rebuild gearbox from @NorthloopCup and the car runs smooth.

Thanks mate,
Radu

RS 200 CUP
Mine judders quite a bit at low RPM too but someone told me that most of them are like that. If you find a solution though I'd love to hear it and give it a try.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
mZ7MQjc.jpg

All interior parts have been painted and now looks mint :)

Regarding the hesitation on low rpm, the problem came from the leads. I've read a topic here and there were some people having problems with Magnecore blue leds. I've swap for a brand new OE ones and the problem is gone. Together with the leads I've put new spark plugs, but the old ones looks perfect.

Cheers

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Because I want to put some bigger brakes on my Clio just to look a littler better, here are my new calipers and some rebuild of the pistons.
Y0MmSyw.jpg

Because the piston were in perfect shape, except the pad contact, I reuse them.

MoNZ96W.jpg

1VHIJcK.jpg

Will fit with 300mm discs. The rear setup will remain the same, just rebuild the calipers.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Thanks mate! This conversion is plug&play, this was the only reason I buy the calipers instead of big 4 pot ones. And with spacers I could fit them under 15".

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
CpRGaCT.jpg

First layer of paint, another one and good to go. I bought new seals and pins and rebuild them this week completely.

Plug and play as in you can just bolt them up without any brakets? What did these calipers come off of? Never seen these...

Is there a big difference? What pads do they take?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
@hostler
Yes, they are plug and play without any brakets, they are bold on to the stock oem hub, just replace the 280mm disc with the scenic 300x24mm one. I did not know about pads, but because this is not a race car, just a weekend car, the pads will be some normal Ate or Ferodo, because I did not think I could find some performance pads. As I said before, I want this conversion for look. I am also pleased with the oem brakes with standard pads. Maybe with this upgrade I will have a little more power.
After I will try and fit them on the car and be sure that everything works great, I will reply with the part numbers.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Test fit, the mounts are the same.
9YJLnUE.jpg

21UWnHF.jpg

The 300mm discs will be just perfect. New pads and ready to go. I will need spacers to run them on 15", but it is possible.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
jGnQoxz.jpg

Rebuild all the calipers with new seals and fresh paint. I will need new rotors for the big brake conversion and done with it.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I rebuild a pair of driveshafts for my clio, just for backup.
oojM7nN.jpg

5Ws2XIr.jpg

They were in decent shape and cover arouns 60k miles. I've change the outer boots and ballbearings inside the cv joint. Clean the rust as much as possible and use rust converter and rust stop. After a night, clean and paint.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
@Optimista
I need 20mm spacers to run on et43 15" wheels and I could not afford them right now. Maybe in March when I put my 16" alloys. And yes, 300mm discs from Scenic.

@stonejedi
Thanks a lot mate!