ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 rear wheel bearings

clio ph1, 330d
Hi everyone, can anyone advice on where to get rear wheel bearings for a mk2 phase 1 sport 172. I replaced them two trackdays ago and now they are whining like a bugger again. Is there anywhere that do a stronger bearing?

Also I'm after a stud kit for said vehicle as it keeps stripping wheel bolts when I put the wheels on, seams the hub has worn away a little. Will possibly replace the hubs before. But also do they all fit every wheel?
Would also like to ask when I floor it on track it mis fires at 6k then clears. It's not consistent either. I will run a daignostic on it when I get it in but wondered if anyone had any common issues/advice?
Thanks

clio ph1, 330d
That's thread seems to cover my problem I think mine might be missing that collar. I'm not 100% sure now I think about it. But do you have a website? I will strip it down one weekend and double check, I did torque the hub to the correct setting. But the bearings was only from ECP so.

182cup & 172 racecar
Bearings from EPC and washer spacer thingy missing.

I think these will be your problem.
I race on standard discs and bearings, and have no trouble at all.

Same as Tony, I have done loads of track days and now race with no issue with rear bearings.

I always use good quality rear discs though, either genuine Renault items or Brembo, and make sure they are torqued up correctly.

mk1 Octavia VRS
As above for the brakes - got to have the spacer thingy and correct torque. My car is used on track and the Renault rear bearings are fine.

Would also like to ask when I floor it on track it mis fires at 6k then clears. It's not consistent either. I will run a daignostic on it when I get it in but wondered if anyone had any common issues/advice?
First thing I'd check is spark the plugs. Mine did a similar thing very rarely when it had cheap/old plugs in, have since replaced with the correct NGK ones and it's been fine. Better of searching/starting a thread in the right sub-section rather than confusing this thread with multiple issues though.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
That's thread seems to cover my problem I think mine might be missing that collar. I'm not 100% sure now I think about it. But do you have a website? I will strip it down one weekend and double check, I did torque the hub to the correct setting. But the bearings was only from ECP so.

That will be your problem then mate, they'll be missing

My website: http://www.roadtrackraceparts.com/

clio ph1, 330d
Evening all, I have come back to my original post as im still having lots of trouble with rear wheel bearings. I think i have replaced them about 3 times now and non seem to last past about 2-3 days on track. I have had Lucas bearings in the rear disc, i have also bought some from either k-tec or renault parts direct a genuine set. But still it is beginning to whine again. I have double checked the spacers are in as they should be.

The car does not do lots of mileage possibly on 4 a year, i have fitted 3 sets of rear wheel bearings now! I cant figure out how some people say they dont have any problem with them, Also the fact that most of the bends it on 3 wheels so god knows how they wear out. Any advice?

Thanks

mk1 Octavia VRS
Spacer things definitely on the right way round and not damaged?

Hub nut correctly torqued up?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Are you using the same discs and just replacing the bearing ?

clio ph1, 330d
Sorry should have said, yes spacer in correctly and torqued correctly everytime.
Also just replacing the bearing as the discs are OK for now. I think my next step might be replace discs. If that don't work I might sell it lol

clio ph1, 330d
I have replaced the bearings every time. Once with a press and one with a punch on the outer edge as to not damage the bearing but still they keep getting noisy.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I would be binning those discs as that's your problem, just use genuine rear discs complete with bearings and you won't have any problems.
Don't won't to judge but buy cheap buy twice

182cup & 172 racecar
Mate, just buy a new set of discs from George/Renault, not cheap w**k ones from gsf or wherever, a new set of spacers. It should be fine then.
Mine see out a whole year of racing, with no problem.
Trying to save money on stuff like this, just doesn't work I'm afraid.

182cup & 172 racecar
What, discs and bearing complete?

You're not making this very clear.

Are your rear hubs damaged in any way?

clio ph1, 330d
I meant I used numerous different bearings, genuine in renault boxes so it should be fine. Hubs look fine no damage to the eye. Could have a slight bent one but nothing I can see.

It's not really saving money though, I'm trying to replace the failed item. I don't see the need in replacing the discs if only bearings are faulty. I might do the disc and spacer change and see what happens thanks