ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 rear disc change

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Just changed the discs today. They were 2 x 18mm bolts at the rear, holding the complete caliper on. thanks both

They were a right *stard to get off too. One of them I had to go half way with the breaker bar, the second half journey of the thread one click of the ratchet each time
They'd had Loctite on them for sure
Checked both dust rubbers- they seemed ok.

All pretty much went well after that, although had to buy a new set of pads down Europart (£7.75 for set of 4 I thought pretty good) as the other new ones I put on about 70 miles ago had big channels in them, where the disc was so uneven

Had a game remembering which way the bearing on the hub face. And the hub nut was pretty strong to get off, but breaker bar worked well. BTW you get a new 30mm nyloc nut with the discs- well I did

Lost one of the brake pad retaining clips, but 4 arrived in the post this morning ;-)
And also the bits of wire holding the bar with the eyelets on, for the pads- lost them 2. But more came in the post :))))))

Glad ive got the bloody job outta the way.

Now onto the remap :::---)))

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Cleaned my rear discs up as my 172 has been sat over a year

Came out like new and I didn't have to struggle with any bolts because I have the luxury of a strap-on 1/2 impact?? Just thought I'd post that to rub it in good and proper @chris blue ??

20190530_123837.jpg

20190530_123824.jpg
20190530_132906.jpg
20190530_133235.jpg

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
let me know how you get on.
remember an check if you have spacers for your bearings. Not sure why tho. I'm sure someone on here will explain why they are there and why sometimes you don't need them.
As on my old disc's I had no spacer everything was fine but changed them and needed spacers before I could fit new ones.

the spacer washers must be fitted/refitted behind all 172/182 rear discs, they're part of the design from the factory. They often get thrown away by mistake (stick to old discs) . They mate the flat side of the bearing casing to the tapered base of the stub axle , the bearings will fail prematurely if missing

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Mines all done, brakes working good. Slightly squeaky but I find that with all new brakes till they've been bedded in- have copper greased the relevant points.

Breaker bar was a definite requirement for me

Just a couple points: The small clip you put on the back small bar which sits under the brake pads- I find you can still knock the bar out even with the clip in, and that's with brand spanking new clip in.

Still don't think the brake pad retaining clips do much, but hey, after buying a new set they are all in correctly

The nyloc hub nut came with the brake discs which was nice- didnt have to go look for one, also watched out for the washer/spacer and cleaned that up and put back- easy to miss.

Hopefully not have to do again in my owbership of the car

Thanks for the help all especially William84

dan's cast offs.
the bar shouldn't be able to slide out unless you've put the clip on the wrong side and the springs are anti rattle springs.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I’m doing my rear discs now, callipers and discs came off fine with the breaker bar. I've got the old spacer washers off and cleaned them up, along with the callipers with a wire brush drill attachment.

My question is where should I be applying copper grease before putting the wheel bearing/disc assembly back on? I know I need to put a bit between backs of pad and piston, and between disc and back of wheel, but should I be putting any on the stub axle, spacer washer etc?

I’ve got the 175 Nm torque for the 30 mm nyloc nut, is there a torque setting for the 17 mm carrier bolts? I think they were tightened to 1,000 Nm previously, or possibly superglued in.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Cheers. All done. I put copper grease everywhere just to be sure. The pads should scrub the excess off the discs I would have thought.

Need to find some other lockdown Clio jobs now.

Attachments

• 6AD15EF9-B6A2-4408-B56D-F65AA36FC627.jpeg
    6AD15EF9-B6A2-4408-B56D-F65AA36FC627.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 1A79E014-613E-4B08-A0C2-55310E501D82.jpeg
    1A79E014-613E-4B08-A0C2-55310E501D82.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 33B0EACE-CD48-4C24-9EA4-6EB71846FC48.jpeg
    33B0EACE-CD48-4C24-9EA4-6EB71846FC48.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 78
  • A74C454D-86EF-4A8C-A463-F3778843973B.jpeg
    A74C454D-86EF-4A8C-A463-F3778843973B.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 236EA6BC-F47C-4A0F-8C19-8AB1D920ACFA.jpeg
    236EA6BC-F47C-4A0F-8C19-8AB1D920ACFA.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 76
I put copper grease everywhere just to be sure. The pads should scrub the excess off the discs I would have thought.

I hope I'm reading this wrong. Do you mean that the pads will scrape excess copper grease off the discs?

Apologies if I am reading it wrong and you already know this but grease on the pad friction material and disc surface is a bad thing

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I hope I'm reading this wrong. Do you mean that the pads will scrape excess copper grease off the discs?

Apologies if I am reading it wrong and you already know this but grease on the pad friction material and disc surface is a bad thing

Sorry yes I was being silly. I obviously didn’t put it on the discs and pads. But I do sometimes find it hard to know where grease should be applied, I remember there being long running and often fierce debates on LotusElan.net about how greasing bolt threads affects the torque settings. And then further debates about using Loctite threadlocker. It’s a minefield.

Sorry yes I was being silly. I obviously didn’t put it on the discs and pads. But I do sometimes find it hard to know where grease should be applied, I remember there being long running and often fierce debates on LotusElan.net about how greasing bolt threads affects the torque settings. And then further debates about using Loctite threadlocker. It’s a minefield.

phew 😎