ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 PH1 - Engine cutting power, loss of throttle, judder

Clio PH1 172 & E30
Bit of a saga,

Brought this last weekend and decided to throw a cambelt and dephaser on as it was on 90k with no signs of either being done and showing signs of dephaser rattle. Timing slipped, my fault, compression tested all four cylinders, 150 across the board so retimed and was fine for a couple of days. Today during a little spirited driving the car suddently held back, a bit violently if im honest, felt like it as missing without missing? planted throttle to the floor to attempt to encourage some sort of a reaction and it seemed to have zero effect. Pulled over and switched ignition off, seemed to clear once i restarted and drove off! having had any real chance to have a play today but on my way home it repeated this behaviour, pulled over to the side of the road, car idles rough and the throttle seems to do nothing at all, in fact when i applied the throttle for a few seconds the engine cut out.
When the engine is under load it seems to occur or become worse, if you switch to a higher gear it seems to happen at lower RPM and that at say 1st gear where it happens around four grand.

Any ideas?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Timing is out.

Did you use the correct Renault tools and dud you loosen the exhaust and inlet pulleys?

Clio PH1 172 & E30
Renault tool was used for both crank and rear of camshafts, the tool however for between the cams i wasn't aware I needed until after the job was completed. Dephaser pulley was loosened off however exhaust cam remained tightened up as I wasn't doing anything with it?

If it was timing wouldn't it do it constantly or during every pull trough the rev range and not intermittently?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
All pulleys should be loosen so the belt can be tension without moving the cams.

Did you turn the engine over by hand and then re check that the horse shoe still fitted in the slots?

Clio PH1 172 & E30
Yes engine was turned over several times just to be sure once I had re timed the engine, rear tool went in correct every time and the marks I made on cam sprockets and head lined up each time.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You did get 5he crank pin in the correct place, checked tdc with a screw driver down the plug hole?

Clio PH1 172 & E30
Screw driver down plug hole to ensure number one at tdc, pin secured in hole and cam marks all lined up. My only other thought is perhaps it's something completely unrelated to the belt, I doubt it's a slightly bent valve but the thought had crossed my mind. Sensor related maybe?

Clio PH1 172 & E30
Code read today, cleared and none of these came back. Definitely were no codes the day before.

u4a3y4a7.jpg