ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Ph1 ABS Removal

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
I know this subject has been covered numinous times on the forum but despite 2 hours of using the search function I haven't been able to answer all my questions to my satisfaction.
I want to totally remove the ABS from my Ph1 so firstly;

1. Choice of master cylinder, is it best to go for Cup Master Cylinder (I've also heard a Kangoo 1.5DCi is the same is this true?) and run 4 brand new lines, or keep the original Master Cylinder and just run new lines with a tee to the front calipers and a tee to the rears?

2a. Rear proportioning valve, I don't want to fit an adjustable item I'm just after a standard inline one, so is the Cup setup the best or could I use another type I have 2 x Dallara F3 valves which are very similar to Sierra Cosworth rear proportioning valves (hence which I have a pair) but I have no idea the actual degree to which they restrict although they are very easily packaged and look neat.
2b. Would it be better to run one to each rear caliper or have a tee and use one singularly?

3. Removing all ABS paraphernalia, once all the ABS block, sensors and wiring is removed will this still flag the light up on the dash? Can it be turned off other than taking the bulb out? Can it me turned of via the ECU?

Cheers Rich

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Personally if I were removing the ABS, I would look to put twin master cylinders in. Coming from historic racing, it's pretty common to fab up plates and brackets to use the existing pedal but have twin cylinders. This is something I am looking to do to my cup anyway, to gain on the fly adjustable bias.
Alternatively I think OBP make a tilton style pedal box for the Clio's, but from what I've heard it's not just a straight up bolt in jobbie.
Are you hoping to keep the servo?

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
I did this with my Sierra Cosworth (twin master cylinders) but it was a lot more work than anticipated.
Also one of the main reasons for not having an adjustable bias valve is you aren't allowed to have them within reach of adjustment while driving as part of my regs.
This is much more of a just fit and forget setup, so I can remove the ABS and keep the servo at the same time.
Rich

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Ah right yeah, fair enough.
If you're after fit and forget, I can't fault the cup set up on mine really, feels good, and works well, even if you are giving it some punishment.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
As a I've just fit a cup set up. Not sure what if any dash lights it will leave on though