ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 headlight lens replacement

Passat
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions regarding a new headlight cover for my 172 (2002).

The Xenon is fine, as is all the other lights. I only need the plastic shell on the exterior. Anyone any ideas where I could get one because I can't find a thing on eBay etc. Also, will a cover from a normal Clio fit? Or will the xenons cause a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

RB FF 182
Do you mean the actual lens that's inside the headlight, or the outer plastic that you can actually touch...?

If you mean the actual outer plastic then (depending on why your asking) I think it would be easier to get a new headlight...?

Passat
Yes it's the plastic bit that you can touch. I was expecting it to cost about £50 tops. Renault want £180 without fitting! Madness. Been to a few breakers yards but I'm gonna have to get really lucky to find anything. Any ideas? Cheers mate

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Can you just replace the lens?

There are a few headlight units on eBay just now.

07 Campus Sport 1.2
whats up with the one you have, is it all scratched and pitted? if so, you can quite easily fix that yourself with a rotary and some good polish

RB FF 182
whats up with the one you have, is it all scratched and pitted? if so, you can quite easily fix that yourself with a rotary and some good polish

This. Mine looked shite. Few hours work and they look like new!

The price from Renault would be for a new headlight. They don't come apart as far as I know.

Passat
It's not the 'lens'. Sorry I guess my thread title is wrong. It's the plastic headlight shell that someone has somehow cracked with a shopping trolley. It now means moisture is getting in and risking damaging the Xenon. The headlights I can find on eBay are all pre-facelift which are no good for me. I can't believe I'm having so much trouble with such a simple thing really. Cheers guys

RB FF 182
You'll need to replace the whole unit then mate :-( Not cheap unfortunately!

Be careful of the ones on eBay, make sure they are genuine and have the same colour plastics inside, some are black, some are grey! You'll only need the headlight it's self, not the adjuster, starter pack, ballast, or bulb so that may knock the price down a little...

Westy. MX5
Euro Car Parts sell complete headlights that look and fit the same as OE's and a lot cheaper also with black or grey inserts. Not sure if they do Xenon versions.

clio sport 172
i was about to put a similar thread up, mine have gone all faded and cracked, i got told a good buff would bring them back up..

Passat
Cheers soot1e, I'll bear that in mind.

Mister G, I've found one on eBay but it includes the Xenon, ballast etc. I've asked if he'd sell separately. I'm sure he'd make more money that way too. See what comes of it!

Passat
Is there a very noticeable difference between the black 172 lights and the grey 182 lights? Found one for £40 but it's grey. Reckon it'll look daft?

Passat
Well, settled for one for £80 on eBay. Not a great price but £100 less than Renault want at least. Cheers for your help chaps.

Passat
It's a black one. Nearly bought a pair of black ones on eBay. They were advertised as Xenons but I zoomed in and they were just standard. Dodgy git!

CLIO 172
Actually the seller stated he was not sure if xenon or not.
Errrrm i think your reply to my email was " F**k off you A**hole
Nice people u associate with on here
Distance giving courage eh ? :)
Turbopiglet6

Passat
Yes I tried to politely inform you that they were not Xenons first though didn't I. And was told to keep my nose out, in not as many words. Tigger?

See you later

CLIO 172
Why not just buy the outer cover for £26.50 from 'Lensmaster' ? Held on with three clips.
Your too eager young flipper you should have waited and not been so nasty to yours truely tsk tsk
And whats all the fuss over xenon? Way out of date in bulb world man. The way to go now is 'Light dynamics' from the states. Evil bro. just pure evil.
Turbopiglet6

Last edited: