ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Gearbox code

2003 Clio 172
Hey all,

Quickie really, I know i should have checked when I was doing the gearbox mount and had the battery out etc but can someone tell me the full code of the gearbox on a 2003 Clio 172?

I think i know that its a JC5 box but i think the number after that is all important...i.e. JC5-120 etc etc

Or do these differ between cars?

Regards
Andy

Lionel Richie
some 2003's have JC5-129's, later ones had JC5-130's, you need to check if you have a speedo sensor in the back of the box by the exhaust manifold

2003 Clio 172
Oh FFS!

Right, so i pulled the airbox completely out last night and started in with the mirror and torch to find the gearbox code.

Could I?

Could I f....

Where is it? I found plenty of wee circle type stamps, no codes there, I also found a few other Renault stamps with number around them, not there either.

Where is the facking code?

Anyway, I did note that just above the driveshafts on the box (at the diff?) I have electrical wire in plastic casing rather than a cable. Does this make it sound like the 130?

kinda need to know before I spunk a few bob on another box to recon

Cheers
Jj

2003 Clio 172
Hold on,

I read this somewhere...

"the phase 1 172 and the 172 cup (JC5-089 and JC5-129 boxes) have a speed sensor intergrated into the box, on the 182 (JC5-130) the speed sensor is on the ABS ring"

So right, mine has a wire to something above the diff on the box, does this make it a JC5-129?

Cheers
Jj

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, most likely a 129.

You can see the speed sensor easily enough, though. THe wire you mean could be an earth.

2003 Clio 172
If i dont get a reply i am just going to start posting pictures of random elderly male genitals from my "personal" collection

:D

Jj

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ They are great for that :banghead:

Even for the simplest of things, like when I needed a gearstick gator :eek:

2003 Clio 172
I dont have the car now chaps....wifey mc wiferson is away in it.

Im driving a bucking Ka FFS

Boosh, pm'ed you the chassis #, English car btw ;)

Cheers
Jj

330i. E30 Touring.
Well get her to crawl underneath and have a look, ffs! (;

Why do you need to know, anyway?

Just buy a Ph1 172 or cup box, as they work on all 1*2's, iirc. (Hai, check my for sale thread.) (;

330i. E30 Touring.
A JC5 129 will fit.

Just don't plug the sensor in.

All those with a 130 gearbox gets the speed reading from the ABS. Any with speedo sensor uses that.

2003 Clio 172
Are the ratios all the same then?...........

Everything apart from this speedo sensor?

I need to be sure before i commit to buy this guys.

Its costing a meltdown to get it to me from UK

Jj

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Just get any 172/182 box mate, doesnt make a diff if its got a speedo sensor or not, from what iv been told, a cup and a normal 172/182 measures the speed in 2 different ways, 1: speedo sensor in gearbox,(cup etc) 2: works through Abs(normal 172 etc)

i have a 172 engine and got a 172 cup box on, works perfectly fine,

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, will work fine.

I'd always use a cup box, if possible. The ratios are so much better, imo.

Clio Sport 172
Hi everyone.
I would like some help on this please guys.
I have a 172 phase 1 and the gearbox has died and needing to replace it.
Can a phase 2 gearbox go in fine or do I have to find a phase 1 gearbox specifically??

Renault clio 172
What about a DCI gearbox onto a 1*2. Heard the DCI's had a better 3rd gear? Or a longer ratio making it better for track?

E46M3
I couldn’t let this pass though

416E18F5-4408-43C2-BFCE-C9BD1EC228EE.jpeg

Renault Clio sport
Hi guys,
I was wondering if there was any solution in case of having the pH 2 gearbox with the speedo sensor through the ABS in my ph1 Clio which is has the old speed sensor.

Thanks a lot