ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Engine Removal?? Help!!

Clio Sport 172...
Hi I am new to this forum, so first of hi to all.

I have recently purchased a Clio 172 which I plan on using for track days.
Unfortionatly there is a leak from the rocker cover, which I am led to believe to be a common fault.
After reading a bit of google I think my best option is, engine out and replace cam belt, head gasket etc etc ....

I am a complete novice but fortionatly I do have help to hand (sometimes).
But I would like to have a go at removing the engine myself. Does anybody have a step by step of how this is done??

Thanks in advance.

There is a guide on here for removal.

You will need to become a paid member to be able to view it I believe.

Although to be honest, get yourself an engine crane and you'll easily see how it is mounted to the shell when you start to remove the ancilleries like the pas pipes and clutch cable etc. 3 mounting points. One either side at the top and then the lower mount at the rear. When everything attached to the engine is removed, you can take the slack up and undo the mounts. You've nothing to worry about if you've someone there who has removed an engine before.

Clio Sport 172...
OK thankyou. My main concern is remembering where everything goes.
There looks a lot of cables :/

Removing the engine is easy and straight forward really, no tricky bits I can think of.
But you can do the belts and rocker cover in car, no need to remove the engine. Make sure you read up on the procedure and make sure you're happy to do it. The cam and crank pulleys are all floating. There is a Renault pdf on the internet (or PM me your e-mail and I'll send it) that details the procedure. You will need to buy or loan the tools for doing the belts.

Clio Sport 172...
Oh thanks for that, that would be extremely useful. How do I pm?? Like I said I'm new to forums completely so I'm not sure how to.

And yes I had a quick look on google at the rocker cover replacement and it said about locking the crank and cams but there's not a great deal of spare rooms for hands in the engine bay and while the engine is out I want to give it a good clean anyway.

2005 182 cliosport
ive never attempted a engine removal but my mates just took one out on his mk2 rocco.

use masking tape and label up which set of wire/plugs/sensors go where. might make it a bit easier when putting it back in.

Clio Sport 172...
Yes very good idea. Makes perfect sense.
I've heard a lot said about the dephaser pulley??
What is it? And is it recommended to change while out??

And unfortionatly I have had the rocker off once before reading up on how to do it so if it weren't a problem then it is now! :(

Dephaser is up to you but I would. If it goes a bit later on you will have to do all the work again.

Also I would change the cam seals as well if you are worried about oil leaks.

Clio Sport 172...
Yes I'm going to do as much as poss while its out.
A few of us are taking a road trip over to Germany later this year so it needs to be right.