ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 cup wouldnt start

recently with the cold weather have found my car a bit sluggish to start and today it didnt start i had to jump start it. Tends to be in the mornings and late evenings when temperature is at its coldest.

anti freeze?

when i had a service last yr my mechanic noticed some oil next to my spark plugs and cleared it but still seems to be some there....what could have caused that problem??? and said i could get mis fires but didnt happen until this week and not all occasions.

my knowledge is minimal on cars.

Any help would be greatfully appreicated.​

had my battery changed wednesday due to problem above and again had the same issue with not starting but did on thrid occasion.

inquired about this problem to a freind and he said it could be injector? also what fuel i use i use normal unleaded he said to put the stronger unleaded in to help

any ideas what could be the problem before i shed out money on something it could not be, thanks

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Does it just turn over and not fire? If so the crank position sensor on top of the gearbox might need cleaning / replacing.

Last edited:

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
£50 for the parts roughly. Cleaning it is free though :)

I've only ever changed them on the 1.6, so I'm assuming its the same process for the 172.

lets hope thats the case just a clean :D if not that then could it be the key?

so was never the battery really that was the problem

Can i clean it or is a pain? and where is it located?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Should be top of the gear box close to the block, will have to remove airbox first for access. If I think on tomorrow I'll have a look at mine and get some pics.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
IMAG0114-1-1.jpg

IMAG0112-1.jpg

Thats the crank position sensor.

clio 172 phs 1
This is a very common fault, Renault have produced a modified wiring connector and sensor roughly£30 for connector and £30 for sensor,you can clean it all you like,it will still happen intermittantly....

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
This is a very common fault, Renault have produced a modified wiring connector and sensor roughly£30 for connector and £30 for sensor,you can clean it all you like,it will still happen intermittantly....

Aye, for a temp fix it'll do, but long term should be changed.

clio 172 phs 1
I've spent the last few months wiggling the tdc sensor wires everytime its damp and the car won't start......grrrrr bit the bullet and got myself the modified wiring and sensor...all good now!

would a mechanic be able to tell if it needs cleaning or it will need replacing?

sorry to sound bit stupid just have no idea of mechanics etc...

Seat Ibiza
Try cleaning it, if it works straight away you know that's the problem!
Is there a camshaft sensor on Clios?

Had it a couple of times on HGVs where it will turn over 3-4 times then fire, because it can't pick a signal on the crank so it has to rely on the cam to tell the position of engine!

Is there a check you can do on these sensors? Resistance or anything?

clio 172 phs 1
Like i said, cleaning won't fix it,it's the connection thats the problem not cleaning the target. Thats why renault produced a modified connector.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
One way to tell if its the battery, which I think it probably is, is to keep an eye on all fuel gauge on start up. If it drops whilst cranking then the dash is losing power meaning the battery is kaput.
The trip counter will also reset.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
He's had his battery changed according to his posts. That why the CPS has been mentioned.