ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup faint knock when sat on tick over any ideas?

Clio 172 cup
Hello all I've recently just bought a 172 cup had it for a few days and have noticed a faint knock sound when on tick over also the car idles under around 8000rpm and car shakes from time to time while sat on tick over... Anyone have any ideas on what it could be or if it's normal etc? As I'm not very car minded and haven't got a clue about engine diagnosis and so on so take pitty on me and try to explains as simply as possible for a not so car minded clio owner any help would be much appreciated

2004 ph2 172
Have a look for all threads that include the word "Dephaser". The Variable Valve Timing camwheel is referred to as the Dephaser on the f4r engine, and does develop a knock later on in life or if it hasn't been fed the correct diet of expensive oil. The Knock usually can be heard once the engine is warm and only on idle to begin with. From what I know (and that's not a whole lot) A tired/worn dephaser isn't going to hurt the engine, but should be changed soon anyway.

That might shed some light on it for you. Also.. have a look on youtube for "172 dephaser" and see if the sounds you hear in the many videos are right...

Looking on the bright side, there are many people in the UK trusted to do this job well, and you'll have a new cambelt and tensioner that you can trust once the job's done. :)

Last edited: