ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup advice

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Used to run a completely standard 182 FF on road tyres as a day car and occasional track car and had endless fun driving it and it never missed a beat.

I am less flush these days and am now looking at running a 172 cup just for a few track days a year and occasional B road run (I run a derv family car so a legal blast in a petrol car occasionally is a breath of fresh air! low end torque does nowt for me.) as the prices for the cars are keen and condition reasonable for the money so far as I've seen. I am hoping to run it standard just with any easy to remove and replace trim taken out for the day and just enough fuel for each run like I did the 182 (Saved 40-50kgs in the 182 so worth it). I never found any part of the 182 lacking so I'm hoping the 172 cup will be the same. Maybe even more fun with the lack of weight and no ABS (like my earlier track cars).

Getting to the point!

The only chassis mod I have considered is Eibachs pro-kit as the clios don't run the hardest springs but again not finding the 182 lacking for my type of usage is it actually worth it on the cup? Bearing in mind the extra cost of having to go to modified insurance. I don't want to go super hard as I do airfield days and have run hard springs before that have actually made cars worse (traction, braking etc.) on the rougher surfaces.

Also after several hours of searching and finding no definite answer is any of the re-map, induction kit, de-cat, cat back, inlet matching malarkey actually worth the hassle? or shall I just stick with standard cheap to replace and insure parts and put any spare money into a decent set of tyres. Are aftermarket standard CATs and exhausts ok for example?

I'm not interested in running a full on track car with cage etc. I can't afford to go that route for a start. I go to track days to enjoy driving smooth quick runs that I couldn't do on a public road. Not risk me and car driving time attack style to try and prove a point. I have no problem with people who choose to do so however. I always come home with my tyres and brakes intact from track days and no I don't drive like miss daisy.

So to summarise

EiBach pro kit worth the hassle?

Leave engine standard and just get on with it?

Thanks in advance for any advice as I'm sure these topics have been covered but I can't ruddy find them. I'm not lazy so links to what I need to read is fine.

No advice needed on brakes thanks. I don't do long sessions and found the standard items good enough.

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Not one reply! Good job I'm having a pint with a father and son team that used to run a trophy winning modified 172 cup when I did sprints then isn't it :p

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Im not mechanically minded mate but the engines are expensive to get more power out of.

Handling/ suspensions refresh is the standard upgrade advice

RSTuner is cheap enough and worth it by all accounts.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
That's what I'm thinking after a lot of research but the two I'm meeting up with will confirm for sure as there wasn't much they hadn't done to that clio.