ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 a bit under powered?

2014 Focus Titanium
Hi this is my first post (i think, i registered a while ago!)

my girlfriend has just bought a gorgeous o2 reg Clio 172, i myself have a standard Saxo VTS.

now, when comparing the 2 cars, i thought there would be quite a bit of difference in performance, especially after about 80mph. but there isnt as much as i thought. while we were on a very quite dual carriageway, (section removed, it's highly illegal - Griff) she was about 5 car lengths ahead but it seemed as if she wasnt really pulling away, then we both eased off.

when i have been in her car it seems very quick, but to me hardly different to my VTS? the only time i really saw the difference was when we had 5 people in the car it still really picks up where as the saxo wouldn't.

i heard a b****cks rumour that some 172's where like 140bhp, but i never believed it ofcourse, because it just wouldn't happen.. but i wonder if there is anything im missing here?

i have used the search but havent found anything similar really!

Last edited by a moderator:
  2014 Focus Titanium
ffs ive posted in the wrong area lol.

if a mod could move it to the correct area i would appreciate :D

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
PMSL...Griff ignore my Report...

VTS arn't slow! And i've never heard of an RS bein under 160bhp!

Theres a thread on here from last week or so, 182/172 vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS.

Most people on here will refuse to believe that its possible for them to keep up, but its do-able!

2014 Focus Titanium
well i suppose that puts a bit of a smile on my face then!

i was just getting a bit paranoid and started thinking about things like "what if the engine is a 1.6 16v with a 20l plastic cover" and stuff lol, but then it has all the 172 equipment like the Xenons, Interior, it revs to 7500, etc etc.

Please excuse my ignorance :D

Focus ST
Not a lot in it until motorway type speeds by all accounts.

172 should pull away fairly comfortably after about 80/90 as the VTS weight advantage becomes less significant.

MINI JCW
Im assuming you mean she was five car lengths in front from the beginning rather than the 172 pulling 5 lengths on you?

Lionel Richie
we had a 172 in that had a broken rocker, one of the inlet valves had NEVER opened from factory

it was slow

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Ali said:
PMSL...Griff ignore my Report...

VTS arn't slow! And i've never heard of an RS bein under 160bhp!

No?

Well, i guess there's a first time for everything. ;)

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
FredYozzasport said:
we had a 172 in that had a broken rocker, one of the inlet valves had NEVER opened from factory

it was slow

The car that was runing on 15 valves only?

You could tell there was something seriously wrong with that car just by looking at the RR graph...

Lionel Richie
yeah it had been a 2.0 15v since coming out of the factory!!

it wouldn't hit the rev limiter, it kinda just gave up at around 6000rpm

193 mk2
andy @ gdi, told me a story about a guy with a 182 who had it rr'ed at 150bhp at the fly. you can get good ones & bad ones, maybe yours is a slow one or maybe your girlfriend just can't drive lol

2014 Focus Titanium
150bhp @ the fly.. :| that's a bit scary!

how can there be that much difference in the engines? i mean i know every engine is different, like +/- 5bhp, but -30bhp, wtf? that thought is just scaring me now, hope we haven't bought a dud :(

Maybe worth taking it to a rolling road just for some piece of mind. Its probably running fine. I thought my car wasn't running great but I took it to Dastek for the RR and it was fueling fine and producing the right power.

2014 Focus Titanium
i suppose it is, its just that it didnt seem to be visually pulling away that much, and she put her foot down about half a sec before me so i thought that might acocunt for it. i dunno, i think i'm just being paranoid!

Keydogg said:
i suppose it is, its just that it didnt seem to be visually pulling away that much, and she put her foot down about half a sec before me so i thought that might acoc**t for it. i dunno, i think i'm just being paranoid!

Depends what gear etc she was in I suppose, and if she was changing up at the right time. I've been embarrased by a Citroen Pluriel thing on the entrace to a DC before because I was sat in 5th at 40mph and wasn't expecting the road to open out. Driver ability would even play a part in something as straightforward as driving fast in a straight line.

2014 Focus Titanium
well she was in 4th and so was i, and she said she changed around 7400 (maybe a bit high) and she had an extra person in the car. she was about 5 car lengths infront at the end of 4th im probably making a meal from nothing i just expected it to pull away more i guess!

VaVa
Not really anything in it below 100. It's quite feasible that a 130bhp VTS and a 166BHP Clio would have a similar power to weight ratio. Add to that the peppier gearing in the VTS and you can see how the two could be close......

BUT I have pasted a VTS quite convincingly.... guess you get good and bad examples of both cars.

Either way, I know the Clio isn't the ultimate status symbol, but I'd sooner nail my balls to a sinking ship than be seen in a Saxo.;)

2014 Focus Titanium
Lol Jez, she wanted air con and leather etc :D shes not as hardcore as you (in the car sense!)

as for lager lout i couldn't agree more, everyone instantly thinks im a chav cos i own a saxo, i guess its the cheapest form of almost-but-not-quite reliable speed! cheers u lot.

Jez do u know a local rolling road? and how much ££ it would cost?

Clio 172 mk2
lagerlout1 said:
Not really anything in it below 100. It's quite feasible that a 130bhp VTS and a 166BHP Clio would have a similar power to weight ratio. Add to that the peppier gearing in the VTS and you can see how the two could be close......

BUT I have pasted a VTS quite convincingly.... guess you get good and bad examples of both cars.

Either way, I know the Clio isn't the ultimate status symbol, but I'd sooner nail my balls to a sinking ship than be seen in a Saxo.;)

lol at the sinking ship comment.....my sentiments exactly!