ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172/197 forged turbo engine build

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would be in next weekend if I could get the box sorted by then, it's a pain having to wait on others when I'm used to doing most things myself.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Happy days, good progress being made bud. Another one looking forward to seeing this at Bedford.

Feel free to take it for a spin if I do manage to get it there, although as per above timescale, only takes one minor thing to go wrong and it wont make it as so little slack with my free time near to that event :(

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Chip loves to give anyway a passenger ride! And if anyone gets the offer, Take it!! Chip has worked wonders perfecting our little throw together test bed!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Out of curiosity, at what gap do you gap the rings?

15 thou I set the top rings to, the second rings were around 18 already so couldnt alter that.

One of the rings was under 9 before I filed it (and it wasnt a bore difference I checked the rings all in one bore first then checked each in the one it was going in and the bores were all the same), which is just typical wossener rubbish tolerances IME!

iceberg 172
What rings are you using chip and what are the tourq setting for the crank. My blockes getting dipped at the end off the month with my mates mini and all these turbo conversion are giving me ideas

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
15 thou I set the top rings to, the second rings were around 18 already so couldnt alter that.

One of the rings was under 9 before I filed it (and it wasnt a bore difference I checked the rings all in one bore first then checked each in the one it was going in and the bores were all the same), which is just typical wossener rubbish tolerances IME!

how much would that be in mm's? :p

i have a fully rebuild forged engine built by bbpt but going to pull it apart anyway just to check everything.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Thanks, i know how to convert it now. Guess i'm a bit too tired to think right now..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah it's .4 basically. Wossner specify that for n\a and slightly bigger for turbo but if its mapped right you don't get enough heat to need the extra clearance and they last longer if done smaller.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What rings are you using chip and what are the tourq setting for the crank. My blockes getting dipped at the end off the month with my mates mini and all these turbo conversion are giving me ideas

The wossner rings mate. Which torque setting do you mean when you say the crank?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont recall off hand mate for the mains to hold the crank into the block, will have to look it up when I am back home, it wasnt a lot before the angle torque though, something like 30NM and then 65 degrees or something along those lines for the mains, and the big ends were 45lbft IIRC as they are ARP ones.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Danlp6 popped round today and gave me a hand getting the engine and box finished off and in.
I decided to time it up on standard marks rather than to retime the 197 cams like we do on the N/A engines, just because I think it will suit the power band a little better so I borrowed mike from MWM's genuine renault cam timing tools and me and Dan used those to do it.
2FBD3964-B519-415B-BD4E-079089AC5C7C-1747-0000015001B0C8CE.jpg

48EA2395-7FCE-4D9C-B439-54002933B089-1747-000001500A2F67FA.jpg

Decided to go for a 6 paddle clutch as they tend to last a bit longer and not be quite as grabby as the 4 paddle I was running, and then to make sure it can still handle the power I swapped to using a new uprated cover rather than a standard one, total bill for the clutch inc delivery was 477, ouch!
D7A182F8-FBB3-4C0B-AFA3-30AD25ACDCB3-1747-000001501D5D0BB4.jpg

Degreased it as they have a protective coating on which needs to be removed:
5167AB5B-113C-48D0-A046-5B1AB25819E7-1747-0000015024B2A38E.jpg

E789B25A-BF1C-4FA5-B6AF-EEA9DF47AC35-1747-000001502B299D74.jpg

Then it was just a case of lobbing it in the hole.
A7F20548-D655-4EC6-B94E-8549EA126B2B-1747-0000015047FBF71C.jpg

1B3E1CF4-DDC0-4BCB-9410-6BFEB065D8F0-1747-0000015055CDCC4C.jpg

296358A5-7504-494C-ABAA-5D5E514B8CDE-1747-000001506271B85D.jpg

F4292E81-9F36-4086-9942-ADDFF7C27381-1747-000001507C859AB1.jpg

Hopefully will get a chance to plumb it all in next weekend and then the weekend after I can start with mapping it and running it in so its done before bedford as Ive got a ludicous amount of work on at the moment so just having to try and squeeze it in around that, TBH if it wasnt for Dan giving me a hand a few times I think that I probably wouldnt be done in time so Im really greatful to him for that :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looks good chip, but id be putting some gaffer tape over the inlet holes in the head or bung them up with some paper towel.
I wouldn't want grit and dirt or a nut etc finding its way into one of them.

Scott

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
looking great youve no idea how much i want that lump in mine right now.

looking forward to actually seeing it in flesh.

how far do you reckon the standard bottom end would have run? if i ever build mine will be fast road and very occasional track day rather than the harder but more fun yours will endure.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks good chip, but id be putting some gaffer tape over the inlet holes in the head or bung them up with some paper towel.I wouldn't want grit and dirt or a nut etc finding its way into one of them.Scott
Have done now mate just not by the time I took the photo.
I was going to put inlet straight on but they sent me the wrong gasket.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm pretty sure at 260bhp and 250lbft how MWM originally built my old engine it wouldn't have knackered them.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Just checked some measurements from a set of 197 cams and with the VVT disengaged the inlet lobes are at 0mm lift but the exhaust lobes are at 1.87mm and 1.48mm. With 16 degress of advance (normal 172 dephaser) your inlet will be at 0.61mm and 0.48mm. 1mm of lift occurs at 24 degrees.

How do you think it will fair with so much overlap and the log manifold?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm probably not going to advance the inlet in order to avoid too much overlap occurring in order to prevent excessive egt. I was actually tempted to keep the 172 exhaust cam in place as well but have decided to give this a try and I can always swap it around later on if I don't like how it works or slightly r****d the exhaust slightly. I've a lot of experience with cammed turbo engines but not specifically the f4r so I'm experimenting a bit basically mate so haven't got any guarantee the cam change will be beneficial.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dan was round again this afternoon so we cracked on, all back together now and we have done the first twenty miles to start running it in, with dan driving and me adjusting the map as we went as obviously with different cams now its fuelling requirements have changed.

Feels mint so far :)

MASSIVE thanks to danlp6 as I'm now a couple of weeks ahead of schedule thanks to him helping me out the last few weekends.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Dan was round again this afternoon so we cracked on, all back together now and we have done the first twenty miles to start running it in, with dan driving and me adjusting the map as we went as obviously with different cams now its fuelling requirements have changed.

Feels mint so far :)

MASSIVE thanks to danlp6 as I'm now a couple of weeks ahead of schedule thanks to him helping me out the last few weekends.
Good stuff, chaps - it's coming together nicely. :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So Bedford/Llandow?

Yes mate hopefully both. Still got some other jobs to do and I need to run it in and map it etc. but looks pretty realistic now thanks to dan doubling my work rate by coming and helping :) just a same I'm working away from home so much in the mean time, would be easy if I had evenings as well.