ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 182 Custom made budget induction kit... Proven gains!!!

106 1.5 diesel
Evening everyone! This is just a quick guide on what you need to do if you want an induction kit for your Clio sport, with a proven 3.5hp gain, as it utilizes the coldest part of the engine.

You will need the following;

• Silicone Polyester Reinforced Hose - 70mm 90 Degree Elbow - Any colour you wish.
  • 90 Degree Alloy or Steel Elbow -70mm
  • Twin Cone Air Filter (Universal one from A.S.H is fine, or choose your own as long as it's 70mm)
  • Small breather hose to fit the rubber pipe that goes to the crankcase or whatever down the back of the engine... I used a 25mm one, but it is a bit too big, I'd use a 21mm, but the next size down from A.S.H is 18mm which will be too small... The 24mm does fit, just be aware it might need wrapping in electrical tape to make the pipe bigger.
  • Qty 2 worm drive stainless steel hose clips (Or sexy ones if you wish) - 60-80mm
  • A few cable ties

PLEASE IGNORE THE SMALL PIPE IN THE PHOTOS, THIS WAS NOT REQUIRED.

WP_20140423_008.jpg

WP_20140423_006.jpg

You will need the following tools (Sorry if I've forgotten anything);

• Flat blade screwdriver
  • Torx bit set (can't remember exactly which one)
  • Spanner set (8mm for battery terminal, 10mm for ECU Brace)
  • Socket set and ratchet with extension (13mm for battery hold down)
  • Stanley knife
  • Wire snips

1. First you need to undo the brace bar that bolts from the ECU housing to the crash bar, I just removed the crash bar side bolt and bent it up out the way... I can't condone that though ;)
  2. Remove the battery negative terminal
  3. Remove the old airbox from the car and the intake pipe from the throttle body, leaving the standard cold air feed
  4. Undo the battery hold down bracket and remove it, being careful not to drop it into the depths of the engine bay... Like I did.
  5. Pick the battery up and slide it as far back as you can, just to give you enough space to get the filter in (It's a squeeze)
  6. Chop the cold air feed down so it's short enough to allow room for the filter, but not too short so it's too far away from the filter
  7. Place your air filter in position, then place the alloy 90 degree elbow into it
  8. The silicon 90 degree will be too long, so you need to trim the side that you'll slide over the throttle body
  9. Trim it to size, using a jubilee clip to make sure you get a straight cut
  10. Slide it all in place,and secure it all with your jubilee clips
  11. Take your breather pipe and chop it at a decent length (long enough so you can cable tie it away from the exhaust manifold) and fit your breather filter on the end
  12. Cable tie everything so it doesn't move
  13. Re-fit all your standard bits and go for a blast!.. Enjoy!

WP_20140423_010.jpg

WP_20140423_011.jpg

WP_20140423_012.jpg

WP_20140423_013.jpg

Someone else has done this before, and they have power graphs proving the extra 3.5 hp, my car however feels much more fun to drive, so even if it has less power, the driving experience has been improved ten-fold! You get a very nice engine note change at 5k-5.5k and the noise on full-chat is INSANE! Sounds like it's on throttle bodies lol

See the graphs and review here;

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/as...sh-induction-kit-on-the-rollers-at-rs-tuning/

Cheers for looking! :)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
This is exactly the same as my setup, using ash piping aswell.

I love those guys! (currently on their 10-15% discount structure aswell :) )

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Didnt read well enough.

cliokit-2.jpg

So you lose 5bhp lower down (from 3-3.5), about the same in the midrange and gain 3bhp at the top end (from 6-7.5).

All a bit underwhelming for the hype that people give these things, but its a step in the right direction I guess :)

They do certainly sound FAR more sporty afterwards!

106 1.5 diesel
Yes you do loose 5hp low down, but the increased kick you get at 5000 rpm makes up for that in fun factor, and once you're in the power-band creating your own gravity field, when you change gear, you're still in that power-band, so you're definitely better off with this kit than some of the others :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
"Creating your own gravity field" for 3bhp?

3bhp is a smaller difference in your power to weight ratio than a full tank of petrol versus empty!

106 1.5 diesel
Why would you prefer lower end power? It's a 16 valve and needs to be revved... You wont be making 183.5 hp at 5000 revs, and if you re-map them, it raises the rev limiter anyway, also possibly unlocking more power because of the air filter...

106 1.5 diesel
Regardless of power gains and losses anyway, the new power delivery, noise and throttle response of the new filter setup is better than the standard airbox with an ITG filter... That's my opinion, one which is shared by several other people that have similar setups. Even if it is slower, it's negligible and definitely not noticeable.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Why would you prefer lower end power? It's a 16 valve and needs to be revved... You wont be making 183.5 hp at 5000 revs, and if you re-map them, it raises the rev limiter anyway, also possibly unlocking more power because of the air filter...

well, im not sure about you, but I don't drive everywhere at 6000rpm, more oomph lower down is always favourable.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Low end power would be more useful as its a road car and I normally don't floor it any chance I get.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
+1 for keeping the low down power. Clio's are like asthmatic 1.2's out of the range.

For me 3bhp isn't worth the time or money especially if theres any danger of losing any torque.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yea, I miss the Smart cars 1.5 Diesel lower end power, I dont like revving high, sounds like the cars guna pop.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Yea, I miss the Smart cars 1.5 Diesel lower end power, I dont like revving high, sounds like the cars guna pop.

It's ok when you're in the mood for it. But it's a little embarrassing when your revving the tits off it and a golf diesel is up your arse silently.

106 1.5 diesel
well, im not sure about you, but I don't drive everywhere at 6000rpm, more oomph lower down is always favourable.
Well I don't know about you, but when I'm not caning it... I'm not driving around with my foot to the floor, it's steady accelleration when your engine is only making 50bhp tops... Regardless of what it is, what mods you have or anything... The dyno graph is a representation of what a car is producing at full throttle, so unless you drive around town with your foot to the floor smashing through the gears up to 30mph, you won't notice any difference whatsoever.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I couldn't smash it through the gears even if I wanted to, poxy French unreliable hunk of turd.

and.....

you'll notice post #2 is mine, I have the same set up as you anyways!

106 1.5 diesel
I couldn't smash it through the gears even if I wanted to, poxy French unreliable hunk of turd.and.....you'll notice post #2 is mine, I have the same set up as you anyways!
Lol I'm not having a go mate, just saying under normal driving, you will not notice any difference, if you over-take something, you knock it down a cog... Naturally, we all know they're not diesels or turbo'd... Then you're in the power anyway. So in my opinion, it's beneficial to have +3.5 hp high up and loose it low down, because you won't ever use that 5hp under normal driving conditions. The only place where that will be an issue, is on a drag strip or if you want the whole-shot at a race track... and that'll be never in our cars lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol I'm not having a go mate, just saying under normal driving, you will not notice any difference, if you over-take something, you knock it down a cog... Naturally, we all know they're not diesels or turbo'd... Then you're in the power anyway. So in my opinion, it's beneficial to have +3.5 hp high up and loose it low down, because you won't ever use that 5hp under normal driving conditions. The only place where that will be an issue, is on a drag strip or if you want the whole-shot at a race track... and that'll be never in our cars lol

Dont you ever just want to accelerate when at 60-70mph in fifth without changing gears?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
The noise difference is a lot at full throttle, definitely makes it more fun to drive hard. And when just cruising it doesnt sound much different.

I can understand on a track car, but for me, on the road I can't stand noisy cars that aren't even quick. I prefer a sleeper.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
Anyway I would have expected also more low-end torque as the length of the duct between throttle and air-filter is now longer than with the initial configuration and so the resonance frequency should be shifted to lower frequencies what means lower revolutions....but that´s the difference between theory and reality...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Anyway I would have expected also more low-end torque as the length of the duct between throttle and air-filter is now longer than with the initial configuration and so the resonance frequency should be shifted to lower frequencies what means lower revolutions....but that´s the difference between theory and reality...
Yes pulse tuning of inlets is complicated to get right

106 1.5 diesel
Alright, no need to be a nob. I'm not a chav obsessing over 3bhp, I'm surprised there's a filter available for my engine that doesn't loose loads of power like most of the others do. Starting to think this forum is a waste of time...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks George, and sorry everyone, just feels like some people just come on here to rip the n00bs...

I couldnt care less if you are a "n00b" or not, if you get massively excited over 3bhp and start describing an engine as having its own gravity field as a result, then expect people to take amusement in what you are saying.

I personally consider my ph1 to be "not mega fast but certainly fairly quick", I'd hate to think how you would describe it though, in fact you would probably end up leaking fluids if you tried it.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Thanks George, and sorry everyone, just feels like some people just come on here to rip the n00bs...

It's all meant in light hearted manner.

I'm currently running the same induction system as you, with the K TEC cnc'd inlet manifolds and 182 exhaust manifold, looking to decat it in the next month or so and all the bits are sat there, but I think yours is probably making more power than mine as my timing is out, till next week anyways :)