ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 03 reg tuning?

potentially, a 172
good morning all, im new here, and new to french cars in general.
im being offered a good deal on a tidy 03 reg clio 172. having read about, apparantly you can cam it, and can see gains of around 50-60bhp. I'm interested in this and would like to know a little more about it, if anyone can advise me, I'd like to know what supporting mods are required with the cams, cost of the cams (used or new - i dont mind) and cost of other mods to support it.
I would not want to skimp on it, but if there are parts i can get that will be safe used, I am happy to do that.

My ideal target bhp is around the 220 mark, but I am open to other suggestions.
Thanks for the help!

Stephen

You'll spend thousands to get that kind of a power gain. You'd also need throttle bodies etc. These engines aren't that easy or cheap to gain massive power out of.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Is this a troll? If not you bought the wrong car for dual carriageway dueling. Do a search for engine builds and you'll see the work required. That or going the turbo route. Best time to uprate cams is when the timing belt is due as it's a fair amount of work.

If you have money to burn it can be done but the breathed on family car lump that's in the Clio needs plenty of coaxing. Not the best breathing head out there.

potentially, a 172
well, perusing about, with a KNS (I think?) Induction kit, and some 438 cams, I can achieve 205ish, which would be great. does anyone know specifically what id need to look for like a brand on the cams? or anything?
new price was about 900 according to a post on here.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
205 is unlikely. You'll have some more power but in the real world it won't be much to shout about. What are you tuning your car for?

apparantly you can cam it, and can see gains of around 50-60bhp.

My ideal target bhp is around the 220 mark

Oh dear. Someone is having you on. No more needs to be said really.

Guarantee it's not a good deal either. Was this by email by any chance? From a prince residing in a central African country? ;)

Suzuki Jimny
well, perusing about, with a KNS (I think?) Induction kit, and some 438 cams, I can achieve 205ish, which would be great. does anyone know specifically what id need to look for like a brand on the cams? or anything?
new price was about 900 according to a post on here.

Just no.

potentially, a 172
decided against all the tuning bother, just going to get a strut brace for it, maybe an induction kit.
Not a troll honestly, and 900 quid for an 03 plate, blue non cup edition, 125k miles, however has a pristine history, cambelt @ 115k, clutch @ 110k. full service history. very clean motor.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's a bit of a driving experience thing with the clios your better off just keeping it up together although if you want to go further there is plenty of good advice just a search away.

It's not a straight line car and you have to use the gearbox. Find a good back road and all the fuss about these cars makes sense and you forget about the power deficit compared to the turbocharged brigade.

Nice buy by the sound of it.

Glad your not a troll!

Don't worry about the mileage there is some truth to them getting quicker with a few miles on. Providing the timing is right and it's been serviced that is.