ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 138 dynamique s = the test drive

M135i
hello you mucky lot. ive been wanting to test drive the new 138 since i first heard about it. so, straight off the transporter my dad bought one home for me to try. only 34 miles on the clock! possibly one of the first registered in the uk. heres a brief write up of my thoughts.

first impressions from the outside are nice, but sits a little high. if the rumours are true about what the gt version will be like, a more agressive suspension set up (maybe lower?) would be a winner.

i get in and the dynamique interior is really quite nice. nice look and finish to it with a glossy console. half cloth/half leather seats are comfortable and hold well.

i start her up, nothing special to the noise, which was expected. although dad tells me the GT is likely to have a more of an exhaust note.
The clutch is nice and light. now for a 34mile old engine, it pulls pretty damn well through the gears, and has good midrange torque. The 6 speed box feels good too.
i did a little motorway stint in it and sitting at 70 in 6th @ 3000rpm, it is a very quiet and smooth ride, with enough pull for over taking etc.

taking into account that it sits quite high, it handles pretty well, but couldnt push too hard because of wet roads. it does get a little twitchy at the rear under moderate to hard braking. again, with the better suspension, this could be ironed out.

contruary to belief, this is not a detuned 197 engine. It is a engine derived from the laguna. (so that ends the 'lets untune it to 197' theory!! ;) )

all in all renault have developed a warm hatch, and i think it does exactly that. i'd like to drive it again when its loosend up abit and in dry, day conditions.

if you have doubts about it, i'd seriously go and test one out. its not going to be in the 197/1*2 bracket, so dont kid yourself. what it does, it does well.

heres a couple of pics. sorry about the quality, it was blowing a gale a fooking freezing!
PC070212.jpg

PC070218.jpg

PC070215.jpg

PC070214.jpg

Last edited:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
what is the insurance group for this and price??

good report there mate, might be interested in looking at one of these sometime in the near future

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
hmm, price and insurance doesnt seem bad at all, although id have to spend a lot more to get rid of some of those horrible looks!!

M4R engine is the new Renault/Nissan developed one.

The 138 Dynamique has the same front brakes as the 172/182.

BMW M135i
£12k is a lot in my eyes for a small warm hatch. Still i'm all for the idea, does sit too high though back looks like its on stilts in the 3rd pic.

Megane Mk4
Looks like a standard clio mk3 with a different front bumper,
Although it makes you wonder why they didn't put the half mat/leather seats in the 197 seeing as though it's supposed to be 'top of the range'. Don't like it tbh, I wasn't impressed with the test drive of the 197 and I doubt very much my opinion will change with the 138S / 150GT versions.

My words in previous threads still stand, I won't be part-ex'ing or selling my 182 for one. The mk3 is hidious. Renault should have let the french side design it instead of us brits, Most people go for looks of a car besides performance and, it fails miserably to stand out.

The interior copys the Megane too much so it's hasn't got it's own character at all...
It's a bad sign for renault imho, I'll be surprised if the new one does AS well as the old and I suspect they'll only sell with people wanting to update older cars for better economy.

M135i
cheers guys. mmmm varied opinions there. im going to have another drive in it again when its got a few more miles on the clock. ive driven a 197 on and off through a 8500mile period and was very impressed by how the engine loosened up. the exhaust note changed quite a bit too :)

still would be hard pushed to swap my 172 cup for a 197 though!!

Leon Cupra R 225
its a good mid range option even though the 197 is down on power and thus the mid range should be nearer 150bhp imo

ClioIII 138 S
i like it! insurance group 9e good for quite new drivers. Yes it does sit damn high but suspension aint that hard to sort out. Im going for test drive this saturday. Looking at bout £8k throught family & friends with renault. Im sure i will like it!