ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.8 16vSuspension

Nissan 200sx S13
i take it no one who wants handling changes the standars shocks and springs but do strut braces and so on make much difference.

Thanks guys

new shocks and springs even stock one on an worn car will make a different depending what you want there a whole range of stuff out there better is an arguable word it depends what you want.
Strut braces tighten things up but I'd do shocks and springs first.

williams and trophy
also to be pointed out...strut braces accelerate the roof bending just behind the sunroof. if u stiffen the front of the car up, it will flex in the nearest place to that that will allow a bit of flex......which is the roof.

they do tighten it up a little tho, rear braces are fukkin pointless tho.

williams and trophy
wider track

need wishbones, driveshafts, struts, springs, ideally rack too.

costs quite a bit if new parts used.

I've got some of the parts and price list to hand (as below) but I've guessed at some of the bits as I haven't got my original guide sheet at work at the moment.
(2nd hand parts are a cheaper way if you get ones that you know are alright)

IIRC, the list of parts you need is:

77 00 838 095 (x2) front shock £41.23
60 01 025 842 - rhs wishbone £49.43
60 01 025 841 - lhs wishbone £49.43
77 00 785 788 (x2) ARB Bush (middle) £5.90
82 00 078 548 (x2) ARB Clip (middle) £2.90
77 03 035 027 (x2) Nut (middle) £0.75
77 03 002 116 (x2) Screw M8-2 (middle) £0.69
77 00 784 170 (x2) ARB Bush (w/bone end) £5.90
77 00 784 169 (x2) ARB Clip (w/bone end) £3.80
77 03 002 116 (x2) Screw M8-2 (w/bone end) £0.69
77 03 034 017 (x2) Nut (w/bone end) £0.36
60 01 025 828 (x2) rear shock £46.86

Anti Roll Bar - £80?

Williams Driveshafts - new are £156 each side (or you can use new Renault 19 16v ones at £60/pair from GSF) (got mine + AntiRoll Bar for £110 all in 2nd hand)

Springs - williams springs are the same as 172 springs so you can get 2nd hand (got mine for £30) or buy new (about £100) (172 cup springs will also fit and be a little stiffer/lower)

Other things worth doing while it's all apart:
77 01 470 089 (x2) Strut-top kit £25.44
77 00 818 994 Engine Mount - Top £69.92
77 00 806 577 Engine Mount - Gearbox £25ish
77 00 849 715 Engine Mount - DogBone £27.25 (or Uprated from Hillpower £50ish)
Steering Rack - £??? new, I paid £100 2nd hand

Don't forget that all the 'New' prices will have to have VAT added on top as well.

I think I've spent about £740 on parts (including the extra bits worth doing) and that was with a few 2nd hand bits and 10% discount on the expensive new things (nice renault man! :cool:)
If I had gone all new it would have been over £1k for parts alone, then you have to fit them.
You can get uprated shocks and springs though (coilovers for example) but they're more expensive than standard, plus they won't have the original ride quality that I'm going for. :)

I'm aiming to take all of the slackness out of the system that has occured through worn bushes and parts, hopefully tightening it all up nicely.
Plus it should have the slightly stiffer feel of a williams but the better handling that goes with it :D

Last edited:
  Clio 190bhp Hybrid
FK highsport coilovers made a huge difference for the better on my valver, repalcing 7 year old suspension. Ride is firmer but then that is a trade off for the way it handles. If handling includes comfort levels and tracking over the bumpy stuff, then suspension or tyres hould not be changed from stock as firming suspension, lowering or reducing tyre profile, increasing width etc will cause it to be less comfortable and track differently.

Got a Hillpower strutbrace fitted after the coilovers. Fitting stuffed up my settings but was advised it was needed to stiffen the structure where as some fold just behind sunroof without the strut braces.

I had considered going for a stiffer setup, just using upgrades shocks and springs on a valver set up, but I've owned super-stiff cars before and it gets a bit tiring after a while. Plus, when they're lowered they handle differently - ok, they stick better round corners, but you don't get the adjustability that the williams and valvers are known for when standard. My current valver set up is old and knackered and both front springs have snapped so it's pretty low at the front, which has meant that I'm getting inner-edge tyre wear from the excessive camber and it's also a bit 'flat-footed' - doesn't like changing direction mid corner so isn't very 'playful'.

That's why I'm going for standard williams set up, as it's known for being great and should also have some ride comfort! (though I have gone for the 172 cup springs so it'll be a little stiffer than stock.) I'll be running standard size wheels and tyres as well so it should handle and ride (hopefully) as well as they did from the factory :)