ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.8 16v gearboxs

renault clio 1.8 16v
i have a 1.8 16v clio and ive blown the box, where can i get a cheap box or what other renaults have the same box cheers

The renault 19 16v uses the same engine as the clio, i'm not fully sure if the gearbox is the same though.

valver engined r5.
any mk1 clio gearbox WILL fit but if you can get lucky try and find a diesel box as they a bit more stronger, or if you want a awesome accelerating car fit a rsi box but i doubt it will last to long lol.

S2000
Yup any Mk1 box will fit. If you use a box off a lower spec there will be a slight gap between the box and the sump but it is nothing to worry about and still works 100% as it should. Really if you can you are best getting a Williams gearbox as they are a bit stronger but other than that pretty much all the boxes are the same in terms of strength, just the ratios that differ.

renault clio 1.8 16v
so your telling me any gearbox is the same!! and they all fit a mk1 clio 1.8 16v fair enought cheers!!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
no

jb1s don't line up

find any jb3 and that should fit. only the 16v and Williams box have the casing at the bottom that covers the flywheel (not an issue though, really)

the diesel is the same strength as a valver box, just different ratios (it's what I run out of preference) - only thing is most of the diesel boxes would've had an easier life than the valver boxes :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i've seen issues with the bell housing not lining up? :S (cliokiz)

safer just to find a jb3

S2000
i've seen issues with the bell housing not lining up? :S (cliokiz)

safer just to find a jb3

Yeah thats why I mentioned the issue with the box off a Ph3 as I had seen cliokiz mention the problem before. Do you know what engine he took that box from?

I have seen quite a few people succesfully fit a JB1 gearbox to a valver before though. All in all I reckon spener might be right though in saying to go for a JB3 box as it will definately fit.