ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.4 16v Fuel economy?

Clio 1.4 16v Ph3 & ERST
What sort of fuel economy figures do you guys get from your Clio's?

Post here even if it's not a 1.4.

Our's is very sensibly driven and really struggles to make 30mpg. OK, so its mostly driven around town, but even on a run, 35mpg is extremely rare.

My 350bhp RST is almost as economical!! Seriously.:S :eek:

Our Clio is a 2004 Ph3 model and it's really noticeably slower than the previous Mk1 1.4 we had before it too. It's been on a scanner and gas analyser and doesn't show any faults, just wondered if there are any known issues?

Laguna 2, Westfield
My mum has a W plate 1.4 16v (98bhp)so the shape yours was face lifted from but same engine i assume, i used to use it all the time and on a run i would get high 40's, probably near 50 if i drove really smooth. I used to get more than 100 miles to a tenner.

Havent used my 182 much yet but even that is saying 42 on the mpg computer(dunno if its right) but that was from a long motorway journey.
Not sure of any probs, check the air filter is clean and plugs etc but i'm sure you've checked them.

Shed.
1.2 16v gets between 34mpg and 37mpg averaging. this is town driving at 32mpg, and then a long trip to my girlfriends gets it up to 37mpg, and thats with me raggin the poor little thing on the way and doing 100mph+ all the way down the duel carrage way.

Reset your mpg and see what you get, i get 55mpg+ when cruising at 30/40mph and then crusing at 60 on a motorway i get about 48mpg. Flat out on a motorway i get about 33mpg at 106mph.

BMW M135i
My old 1.6 used to do 40mpg~ round town, 46+ on a good run. The 172 does 36/37mpg round town and seems to top out at 42mpg on a run (70mph motoroway).

Megane R26 + 182
My 1.4 2002 get 35 and thats with me hamping it everywhere! If driven like a nun would get 45 easy!!!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
i never understand how people with 1.6l+ engines get such good milage. i have a 1.2 16v, and ever since its first service i have never gotten above 37-38mpg. even on this current tank, i have taken it easily all the time, but still im not going to see much more than 300 miles to the tank.

Clio Mk3 1.4
I've got a Mk3 1.4s, and its poor for fuel compared to my mates who have Mk2 1.2s. Driving sensibly it does around 35-40mpg, you cant even tell the difference in power between the 1.2 and 1.4 anyway! lol

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Think there must be some problem here.
In my 51 plate 1.4 I usually get 325 to a tank of tesco fuel but recently ive been using shell unleaded and im seeing 400miles and its running alot better too.
I usually drive fairly granny in which case i get 45mpg but if i rag it a bit i get 38mpg

Megane R26 + 182
I've got a Mk3 1.4s, and its poor for fuel compared to my mates who have Mk2 1.2s. Driving sensibly it does around 35-40mpg, you cant even tell the difference in power between the 1.2 and 1.4 anyway! lol

Cant tell the diffrence? Isnt there 25bhp of it?

ive got a 1.4 16v on a 54 plate and it sits at around 40mpg around town and last week drove it about 80-85 mph on the motorway coming back from carlisle to helensburgh and it never dropped under 45 mpg best it done was 47. something so deffo something wrong you should get rid and try this one;) ;) ;) http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/354789.htm:quiet:

Clio 1.4 16v Ph3 & ERST
Thanks guys for your help.

Since posting, it's had the all-clear on another code-read and the lambda sensor has been checked to make sure its switching correctly and it is doing exactly as it should be apparently. :(

The idle has never been absolutely smooth and coupled with the fact that it is slow as fook (much slower than any other 1.4 I have driven - My Mum has a 1.4 Fiesta and we recently had a Ford KA courtesy car while our Clio went in for repair, both run rings round the Clio for performance), I am beginning to suspect a more serious problem with the engine, like maybe the cambelt has jumped a tooth or was incorrectly fitted? The car is extremely clean, but has done around 45k miles. Don't think it has ever had a belt, but I guess something could have gone wrong? Would it run worse than it is though? It doesn't run 100% smooth, but isn't that bad.

The one and only time I have seen 40mpg was in the warmer weather on a run when I was trying as hard as is physically possible to make high MPG numbers, so was coasting where possible and using really slight throttle movements.

I know the fact that my other half drives it 3 miles to work each morning and 3 miles home each evening (including some sitting in traffic) doesn't help, but 27mpg is just shocking.

hi there,

having a 1.4 also...mine is a 2004 3 door model and i also have to say the mpg figures are awful, when im giving it some im gettin 29.9 maximum 30mpg and on a run ill be gettin 36 mpg...should i be unhappy with this? i personally expected better...:S

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
my lil 1.2 16v is superb on fuel, on my last 60mile run to bournemouth i got 54mpg now thats amazing but i was driving it like a grandma. i would usually get about 450miles on a full tank.

i usually average 44mpg driving around normally.

thats the only reason i keep my 1.2 i fink, oh yea and plus because i have a conviction:dapprove:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i remeber my mums billabong 1.2 16v i ust to drive when i was 17 first night i had it took it down the m4 screaming its tits off clock showing 120mph. came off at the services the dash was lit up like a crimbo tree. drove it back home was only getting 17mpg lol. when i got it to work the next day i found out that the fuel sender was mullerd reading really high pressure and the carbon canister had split open.

mother was not happy, luckily it was still under warranty:) but i had to do the repairs my self, gay!