ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.2 to 172 conversion progress

200bhp itb'd iceberg
hi all been a member on here for quite a while now and finally decided to get some progress piccies up let me know what you think and any advice will be much appreciated :)

well it all started with a citroen saxo vtr had this car for just over a year and loved it the only thing letting it down was lack of power heres a couple of snaps of it before i sold it.
DSC00786.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

after coming to the decision of putting the car up for sale i advertised it on pistonheads to find quite alot of interest but nothing major untill... i had an email of an ex forum member on here saying they had a mk2 ph1 1.2rn with a full 172 engine and interior conversion and would i be interested in a straight swap. beeing optimistic i went and had a look at this car and found my self liking it and seeing potential init lol so i swapped him and drove away heres some pics of the car when i got it....
DSC00864.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

i drove the car around for just about 4 months and enjoyed it alot! untill i started to have problems... i was driving home from college one day when there was a loud bang and what sounded like the inlet manifold hanging off i carried on driving and managed to limp the car home when opening the bonnet and removing the inlet manifold to my horror there was a spark plug wobbling around in the head the car had shot not 1 but 2 plugs out of the head :( not knowing what to do and not knowing much about car mechanics i took it to the garage i was working part time at and they said no worries we will helicoil it and get it back together it will be fine... after weeks on end of running back and forth to see if it had been done 5 months mounted up and they still hadnt touched it!
i made a few calls and found some one else that would do it for me, i took the car and hoped they could help me out with my problem another 2 months later i had a phone call sayin my car was done etc etc. so i went to collect to find it sounded exactly the same as the day it broke the guy who did it said he thought the leads were on the wrong order so i payed him £200 and took the car home corrected the leads to find it was still not running right!
while the inlet was of i decided to check the spark plugs to find the plug still loose in the head! :mad:

feeling so angry and £200 down i decided to attempt to do the job my self remove the head and helicoil it my self heres some pics of the engine beeing stript and rebuilt
DSC00951.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

P01-07-09_204801.jpg

having the engine rebuilt with new head gasket and cambelt i cudnt wait to start it and find out whether it would run or not... i turned it over to finally hear it running sweet! i have never been so satisfied in my life! lol

with the car beeing off the road for a total of 8 months i managed to get some money together and buy a set of renault oz f1 wheels from clio spares for a bargain price with more or less new tyres on, and a set of koni adjustable dampers with apex 60mm springs courtesy of aliengravy of here.
also beeing a member i made use of the cliosport guides and decided to lower my seats heres a few more pics
DSC00966.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

having it all back together and running like a dream here's a few pics of how the car stands
DSC00981.jpg

P01-07-09_2040.jpg

P01-07-09_204601.jpg

P01-07-09_2046.jpg

P01-07-09_204501.jpg

P01-07-09_204702.jpg

P01-07-09_2048.jpg

P01-07-09_2049.jpg

and for all you sticker lovers :p....
P01-07-09_204701.jpg

imo the car looks 110% better but still needs a few jobs doing will all be sorted in good time
as i write this im having a vinyl black roof done so will post up the pics tomoro!
and will keep you up to date with the story!

BG 182 FF
Looks good, a lot better now you have the f1's on rather than them old wheels. Nice sleeper too, glad you have finally got it back on the road m8 plus it looks a lot better than when you bought it imo.
Its crying out for some mk2 ph2 rear lights though

200bhp itb'd iceberg
Looks good, a lot better now you have the f1's on rather than them old wheels. Nice sleeper too, glad you have finally got it back on the road m8 plus it looks a lot better than when you bought it imo.
Its crying out for some mk2 ph2 rear lights though

thanks mate yeh ph2 lights are on the list pay day tomorow so will see if i can get hold of some :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Slightly off topic, for that I apologise.....

DSC00952.jpg

P01-07-09_204701.jpg

Have you lost a boat load of weight???

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
is it still on 1.2 books..........

T834TFW, RENAULT CLIO GRANDE 1149cc 3 DOOR 1998-----

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
lol you really dont want that bonnet who ever did it did a bad job need to get a new one i thinks

and yeh it is lol why?

Not really lol .. is it....its illegal, not insured, shouldnt be on the road etc.

Really annoys m.

Good luck tho....

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Any 1 notice its got a ph2 engine not a ph1?

Much easier for the dash conversion that way I guess

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
And get the insurance dun a.s.a.p.

Piss me off even more being branded the same because of people who don’t declare Engine transplants.

Declare or face the high probability of being reported to the DVLA and Mr Plod

like it mate, think you should get a ph2 sport rear bumper though, really not a fan on the ph1 rear bumpers. Nice work

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Top work mate, but get some fog lights back in or cold air feeds, don't like the two gaping holes lol.

2000 1.4
Looking decent! dont get Ph2 rear lights, keep with the Ph1, hate it when people put loads of PH2 parts onto the PH1, may aswell just buy a Ph2!

Colour code all round and get some fogs, then you're sorted!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
really, looks alright from the pics,
well if you decide to throw it away,
ill make it worth posting to me lol

200bhp itb'd iceberg
thanks everyone! ph 2 rear lights and bumper are the next purchase i reckon! also looking out for a v6 air box if anyone can help?
Have a few updates now has a black vinyl roof and fully stript rear will get some pics up tomorow!