ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 2001 Starting Problems

Renault Clio 1.2,Jaguar
Hi,
I'm having problems with my Clio, it is mainly OK to start but about on average once a week it wont start, by that I mean ignition lights etc OK but no starter motor action at all. I've had the crank case sensor replaced about a week ago as it had the problem of turning the engine but the cutting out before firing. It is now getting a pain in the **se. I,ve put a wire under the bonnet so that in an emergency I can hot wire the solenoid but this is not satisfactory as my wife refuses to use it. I'm quite handy but I don't know where to look for the problem. I assume it's either the wiring to the ignition switch, the Ignition switch itself, a relay (if there is one), or just a wiring fault.

Is there anyone who can either help with the diagnosis or perhaps tell me where the wiring comes from to the ignition switch then where it goes from there to the solenoid.

Hope someone on the Forum can help,

Regards,

Dave

Renault Clio 1.2,Jaguar
Hi,
I was hoping that someone on the forum would have an idea of what my problem could be and perhaps as I asked, a sort of explanation of where the electrical supply for the solenoid goes/comes from.

Dave

Missed my Clio & DC2 Now
I had a cutting off problem since at March, and Renault cannot find out the problems. They had change 3 new seniors from my car and the problem still come on. The last thing they changed a new ecu for me.

The Total cost is nearly 1000 pround for 3 new seniors and 1 new ecu ><

Clio 172
when i had a 1.2 the engine cut out while your driving eg 70mph on a motorway, renault insisted no faults found but if you search on the forum there is info on it, ended up being an ecu problem for me

clio 172
easy people i had the other day my car was not priming up the fuel pump which was not leting my engine stay coz there was no fuel getting to it so i got the AA out to it and when we was there we checked the fuel pump all fine and the put a lap top on the car chank shalf senor was all over the place but it was not that coz i only had a new one a couple of months ago so we went to the fuse box which is in the engine bay behind the passerngers side head light and there are a couple of relays in there.
we took the small brown relay out and changed it of a different one and the car started up first time so if you are getting problems look there first is my sergestion and i would rather pay 13pounds for a new relay then 1000 pounds for anew ecu lolhope this helps cheers

polo, here for lols
this could be a loose electrical connection between the ignition and the starter motor. has happened to me before, very easy to fix.

Clio 2002 1.4 Dyn+
Got the same problem.

In Feb, I had the battery replaced but happened again. Starter motor tested ok.

Key on, everything up but nothing when key turned to ignition. I took the three black fuses found in the fuse box next to the battery and moved them around after cleaning them. Started first time and has worked since.
You can try this!

However, today the problem came back and the trick employed previously did not work. I then moved the wire connecting the starter and it eventually cranked.

Three potential possible causes but I'm not sure:
1.Intermittent Fault with Relays
2. Bad connection to starter
3. Key fob battery low (seen on some forums)

I'm going to take a closer look but anyone got any ideas as it is a real pain not to know if the car will start.