ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clicky steering

RB Clio 182
Hi, I have had a clicking/snapping sound coming from what sounds and feels like the steering rack, I can feel it under my feet, it does it while doing slow manoeuvres or stand still while turning the wheel.

It doesn't do it when the car is jacked up, its not driveshafts or ball joints.

I cant see anything catching on heat shields etc and the rack looks secure.

Any ideas please or what to check?

Clio 182 turbo

Cheers.

182 ff
Hi, I have had a clicking/snapping sound coming from what sounds and feels like the steering rack, I can feel it under my feet, it does it while doing slow manoeuvres or stand still while turning the wheel.

Clio 182 turbo

Cheers.
i had the same problem on mine,Renault said it was the steering rack,the inner part or something..i did get a second opinion from an AA man,he said it was the rack..i have heard since it can also be the rack bushes..its a funny sound..not just a click,like a thud, like you said,you can feel it..i had a new rack fitted,and a new pas pipe,they couldnt get that off the rack..it changed the cars handling to a go kart.
i have a clicking now on full lock,that comes from the wheel area..only in the wet..Renault has looked at it,cant find nothing wrong..

Last edited:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say springs are sticking, could be a top mount issue.

Lift up the front and turn the wheel left and right full lock end to end and see if its smooth rolling. Or lift up the wheel when it's jacked. Shouldn't be much play at all

Clio 182 turbo

Cheers.
It will be the turbo, makes all the difference to the steering.

M2 Comp
I had these exact symptoms and it turned out the bolts holding the steering rack to the subframe were loose. I would put money on this being your problem.

It's easy enough to check yourself. At the back of the subframe by the ARB, there are 4 x 16mm bolts holding the 'rack to the subframe. You can see the two upper bolts, but they can be a bit tricky to get to. You really want a flex-head ratchet spanner tbh. The two lower bolts are actually inside the subframe and are easy enough to get to with a socket and extension.

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
Had a similar thing and it was my steering rack bushes. Changed them to powerflex ones and it's not happened since. I'm sure new oem ones would be fine also.

RB Clio 182
Cheers guys, I noticed it doesn't do it in the rain or snow as much, or at all tbh which is weird.

It didn't do it this morning in the snow on my way home from work, but it did it this afternoon in the dry garage and when the roads were dry.

Again its just done it in the dry garage before I have set off to work, just got to work and its pissing it down and its stopped doing it again, it might just be a coincidence.

Me and @Bunta are having a look this weekend.