ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning up an old tired PH1 172

RenaultSport 172
Been busy today sorting out a few bits on my phase 1 track car. It's done over 115k now and is showing a few signs of age!
Used a guide on here to finally turn out the serv and air bag light. Then on to the headlights which I've been wanting to do for a long time. The photos don't really show how yellow they were before but here's the story in pics:
4jbP2C.jpg

yQWrvt.jpg

MmcQZB.jpg

And here's a pic of my 2003 Mondeo that's never had any special headlight treatment. Was hoping to achieve that look!

8Lh2W5.jpg

So I used the 3M restoration kit which I got half price :)

xkG6nY.jpg

0RKYVb.jpg

Getting there:
gFRn1f.jpg

Finished:
wJaMRH.jpg

Still not perfect but a massive improvement although I don't think the photos show up how much.

I don't drive the car much and its in a bit of a sorry state. Been waiting for some warmer weather to sort it out:
dAh0mb.jpg

MALj8G.jpg

Ng7mZT.jpg

On went the wheel cleaner:
7JTptr.jpg

Got my Karcher out the box today. Never been used and I got it in September!

3fKcDw.jpg

Need to get some snow foam for it though. Just blasted it today and then washed with Megs Gold Class

cFyaYA.jpg

Then out with this trim restorer I got second hand from here:
R2ksvb.jpg

hMYW2Z.jpg

Treated vs non treated. Came up much better but I'll do it again when I wash the car next
w6sKvf.jpg

I borrowed a gypsy polishing machine as some of the paint on this car is so faded and dull. I thought this would help but I'm surprised how nice the roof and bonnet came up. Looks so much shinier

TPb6R2.jpg

MWH6vr.jpg

QBxPFm.jpg

v2wrG3.jpg

Ran out of time there so I have a few more things to sort out

Engine bay needs a bit of a clean up, plus throttle body needs cleaning as it’s a bit sticky sometimes
5pwKVJ.jpg

Interior definitely needs a good clean! Not been touched since I ripped out all the seats & carpets:

9L0WZk.jpg

How does anyone get this stupid plastic thing to stay in place?
N5XYPR.jpg

Should I get spacers? If so, which ones?
gbYMkN.jpg

Should I remove these? Not really sure about them
JN1pr9.jpg

Also, should I keep this?
ct9n08.jpg

Starting to think a 300mm steering wheel is a bit too small. Might look out for a sabelt one
Gg0YbL.jpg

And the last thing I did was spray these fog surrounds black:
xLWq5T.jpg

Probably the gypsiest fog surrounds you'll see lol

RenaultSport 172
I got the headlight kit direct from the 3M website. They had it half price for a while but was out of stock! Eventually it came back in though

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
Great work! Best port of call for the spacers is Venom Motorsport - ever so slightly dearer than a lot of other places but at least you'll buy the right ones due to you having to enter your car before they show you any.

System B spacers are better IMO - i.e. they bolt onto the hub with their own bolts and then the wheels go onto the spacers using the original wheel bolts. Got them on my 133 and had them on my old Clio TCE and they're awesome. Make such a difference too.