ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning old coilovers?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Removed them off the car, they need a good getting at. The dampening adjusters which are at the bottom of the strut are covered in rust, the adjuster rings for the height are seized pretty good. A quick mooch around and i see people use coke? Ive tried wd etc and its not worked. Advice welcome as allways :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah read that too, bloody stink though, not that it matters in the grand scheme of things

[MAP][/MAP]Sarsons 1litre clear pickling vinegar from asda £1.48 (have a few jars done of onions)

Five of them and an old bucket and stiff brush;)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Have seen people say about brick acid in the past, if it's that bad... might be worth a go.

dan's cast offs.
if you want to bring them to me i can blast them, low pressure garnet, will sort them out easy peasy.

172 Cup
Use plus gas to get the adjuster moving freely, wire brush the threads clean the dust off, then spray round the threads with plus gas and leave to soak in for 10 mins.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the offers and ideas guys. Getting the coilovers wed so will give them a blast. I'm in no rush, more of a project lol

Heres a tip, when youve got them set where you want wrap the threads in duct tape, it will stop the paint goings crap and then the rust setting in.