ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning Engine Bay

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Does anytone know a good way to clean the engine so i looks like new again. The engine cover obviously comes up lovely if your just wash it, but the metal seems to gradually get slight marks and doesnt look at good as new? Maybe im just being picky, but wondering if anyone has a solution for this?

Cheers.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi
Personally I use my motorcycle de-greaser and spray the stuff everywhere in the engine bay. I ‘m currently using Wurth Motorcycle wash. You could use GUNK instead.
Leave it on for 5 mins then I jet wash it all off. If you use gunk be sure to get it all off as it attacks rubber if it’s left on it.
I then start the engine and let it run till the engine bay stops steaming and is dry.
I then leave it overnight before spraying WD 40 all over the engine bay (Particularly Electrical connectors). I then run the car (20 mins) with the bonnet open to let surplus WD 40 evaporate. Voila engine bay is now clean and has a protective coating on it.

To clean the alloy use a brush and some metal alloy polish – Doesn’t take much effort for a big improvement. Do this BEFORE cleaning/washing the engine bay.

Hope that helps
Deano

106 GTi
I use Autoglym Engine and machine cleaner on mine. Agitate witha brush and rinse of with a low pressure flow of water using as little as possible. Cover over anything that looks like water wont mix with it. Dry the best you can with towels and dress with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber, polish paitwork and metal work.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
id advise against using a pressure washer on ur engine bay (or car at all for that matter), u'll just be forcing water in all kinds of seals all over the place, not good.

Ford Fiesta
i just give mine a quick wipe everytime i wash car and it still looks like new.

Little and often so to speak..

106 GTi
As low a pressure and as little water as possible is the safest route.

Like Liam says once its clean a wipe over after washing everyweek, should keep it up together.

Ford Fiesta
the catch and the silver metal bar on the bonnet has rusted on other 182s ive seen mines as shiny as new.

Hows yours looking r-jay?

106 GTi
okay I think, not noticed anything rusty yet!

IMG_5678.jpg

Part on the left?

Ford Fiesta
yes the part on the left mate, behind the pulley for the catch. Mines llike yours, some have rusted bad though,