ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

classic/old minis

Writen off dci 100
hi all

just wondering if anybody on here knows anything classic minis as i fancy a project...

im looking for info on engines that fit mainly

regards

Josie

can you weld?!

any A Series engine will drop straight in; most of the choice engines will be ancient by now (MG Metro, etc). you could fit one of the numerous 1275 injection engines, but they're going to be much more hassle to wire in (etc) if you're using an elderly (pre. injection) model as a base

rps13
you can pick up a honda b16a2 or any honda b-series v-tech engine for around £600

then weld up a subframe, or get z-cars to make you one

then you've got a sub 5 second car!

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
motorbike engine in the rear

or 2.0l vtec or something like that in the front.

or if ur mad enough 2 motorbike engines one front and one rear.

Last edited:
  320d
I'd go bike engine. Lighter so won't mess up handling. Wouldnt love the time and know-how to do something like this.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If you want it reliable fit a honda civic type r engine in it.

You have to extend the front axle by around 90mm and then its in.

Very quick too.

Writen off dci 100
i can weld i do plenty of it at work i just dont have the kit at home and i dont know a thing about car electrics

is it the 1.6 vtec that fits and/or the 2.0

those zcars minis are rapid..

there's an American company who sell subframe/suspension kits for the Honda engines, including the 2 litre ones: http://vtec.minimania.com/Honda_Engines.cfm

you're going to need welding gear unless you can source a shell that's already been restored. and i guess you could learn about autoelectrics along the way!

i've never undertaken anything anywhere near this serious and can only think to suggest that you spend *a lot* of time looking into what's involved (with the mini itself and then the actual engine conversion) before spending any money or taking up any garage space as so many of these projects end up in the bin as people underestimate what's involved.

You can put a 2.0 redtop in a Mini but you will have to extend the wings and bonnet. There is a company that does doit and designs the subframes as well. Look in any of the Mini magazines. Current trends are that anything goes and Suzuki, Toyota and the old K series engines are popular transplants as the Vauxhall and Honda ones.

Writen off dci 100
i would like to do something different

would a v6 fi in the back lol just a thaught

or what about the 2.0t from an evo

Arctic Blue FF 182
Iv got a classic mini as a project car, and i love it. Its so time consuming though, has taken me soo much longer then i thought, and still plenty to do. Iv got a pretty solid shell, but still needed a fair amount of work, plus the custom fab work im doing to mine. Engine wise im looking at doing a 998 bottom end, 1100 head, metro turbo set up at the moment.

Just do it, iv learnt so much, and having so much fun doing it!

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Same as dude i got a mini project, keeping the original 998cc engine i think. Its about 70% done and taken me about 4 years lol its very very time consuming!
Your best to join THEMINIFORUM.COM and try to pick up a decent shell from there as a start... looking at anything between £50 - £1000 for a shell really mate. Also very helpful for ideas about engines etc etc
Best engine conversion ive seen is the 'busa turbo! Crrrrrrrrrrrrrazy power lol

Arctic Blue FF 182
As above really, everything is A/F, so a full set of spanners, sockets, long reach ones as well. Depends what you want to do, but too many to list, general things like hammers, screw-drivers, then welders (Mig, Spot?), gringers, drills etc etc. List goes on!lol

Arctic Blue FF 182
Same as dude i got a mini project, keeping the original 998cc engine i think. Its about 70% done and taken me about 4 years lol its very very time consuming!
Your best to join THEMINIFORUM.COM and try to pick up a decent shell from there as a start... looking at anything between £50 - £1000 for a shell really mate. Also very helpful for ideas about engines etc etc
Best engine conversion ive seen is the 'busa turbo! Crrrrrrrrrrrrrazy power lol

TheMiniForum is the best place, i have learnt everything i know about mini's through the forum one way or another!haha
O and sometimes you can find really bargains, i bought my mini about 18months ago for £25 with less then 6000 miles on it! BARGAIN!!haha

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
A mate of mine had one with the C20XE engine with ITB's.

album_pic.php

album_pic.php

Was an awesome little thing!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Only thing i dont like with the XE conversion is the extended front end you need to fit, Makes the car look unbalanced IMO

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
My brothers mates mate has a 7.2l V8 chevvy engine in his old school mini, now that is rapid.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
^^ love it!

amy is that the roofchopped yellow one?

Arctic Blue FF 182
A mate of mine had one with the C20XE engine with ITB's.

album_pic.php

album_pic.php

Was an awesome little thing!

Iv spoken to this guy at a show at Santa Pod i think it was, fantastic build!

E11OOT Your on TheMiniForum arn't you, i remeber seeing lots of pictures of yours somewhere im sure. It in your signature picture on the forum?

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
E11OOT Your on TheMiniForum arn't you, i remeber seeing lots of pictures of yours somewhere im sure. It in your signature picture on the forum?

Yeah i'm on TMF my signature is not that picture but a close up of the front end, i have a fair few pics in the 'Garage' section on TMF.

the shells are actually quite strong due to their construction but, no, you wouldn't want to find out how that might work in practise. same with any small car, really.
a mate had a coming together with a lad in a mini a little while ago - it was being driven both quickly and wrecklessly and it wrote off his 330d estate!

Writen off dci 100
just a moment of madness but if you can get a 2.0 16v vauxhall engine in would it be possible to stick a massivly powerful evo engine in lol

300bhp+
4WD
600kg

just a thaught...