ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic FN2 Track Car

Civic FN2 Track Car
Since breaking my clio at the back end of last year I was left needing something to fill the void. I couldn't help but look at jap cars again since selling my Civic Type R EP3 4 years ago. It's just something about Honda's and there high revving engines that is so addictive.
After looking around for a bit I decided on an FN2 type r.

Fast forward a little I now have a 2008 Honda Civic Type R GT in pearlescent deep pearl bronze.

Full spec
Ported head
Cosworth Thinner head gasket for increased compression
TDi North stage 2 cams
FD2 air intake manifold (RRC) ported to head
RRC intake manifold cover painted black
FD2 throttle body
FD2 oil pump & balancer shaft delete kit
Toda valve springs
Walbro 255 fuel pump
RDX 410cc injectors
Mugen intake kit & hard pipe
Mugen Sump
Clockwise drop in baffle
MFactory magnetic sump plug
Hondata Flashpro with custom map by TDi North
Polybushed engine mounts
Samco hose kit
Custom spooner cam cover
Carbon fibre spark plug cover
Carbon fibre slam panel cover

Engine is currently at 253bhp & 158 lb-ft

Exhaust:
Solid Fabs manifold with 200 cel cat
Milltek resonated exhaust

Suspension:
Meister R Zeta coilovers
Polybush full master suspension kit
Whiteline front antiroll bar droplinks
Rigid subframe collars
Fast road set up

Brakes:
Stoptech 328mm BBK (supplied and fitted by ABP)
Ferrodo Ds2500 pads front and rear
Stoptech rear discs
Braided Brake lines
RBF600 Fluid

Gearbox:
MFactory helical LSD with race pack
MFactory 5.46 final drive
MFactory magnetic oil plug
Exedy stage one clutch

Other items:
GP Rear splitter
17x8 ET40 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels
225/45/17 Eagle F1 Tyres
TDi North short shifter
Skunk2 gear knob
HKS oil cap & radiator cap
Honda upgraded metal fuel cap (colour coded)
Tegiwa fog scoops (colour coded)

I've also got a few other bits that still need to be fitted.

Evo 8 Enkei 17x8 et38 wheels - track
235/45/17 Toyo R888 GG - track
Carbon fibre Mugen front grill
Cobra Imola pro fit drivers seat
M2 drivers side seat frame
Schroth 4 point harness
Custom trimmed steering wheel in alcantara and black leather

I've got a few other bits planned for this year, Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars
Decat section for my manifold
Remap to suit
Lots of track time, I've already booked Silverstone GP and Anglesey for this year but also plan to do Cadwell park, oulton park, Donnington park, snetterton 300 and brands hatch.

Anyway hers some pictures, a couple of the head work and some of what the car looks like now after a quick wash today.

35D12412-48C0-4D33-8154-007A196B148B.jpg

1E11CC7B-4E19-4013-90B9-922BC458CF4F.jpg

09E9BBDF-4610-4476-8685-06266E808E17.jpg

78EF6BEA-9D93-4068-9DAD-803C1747B287.jpg

F615ED17-8886-4155-8148-08BBE5C6FC20.jpg

FB402994-BF3A-4F4F-99DA-10CA5A4750D7.jpg

5FB6CA56-4415-40AC-8DF2-25987E4162BD.jpg

511BA635-95B9-464E-8E7B-78F35CCC6BD9.jpg

1616621A-3E87-4400-BFF9-DE30A266515D.jpg

22D828F9-0E18-4BC8-9597-9F71705D147E.jpg

B5CCF57A-2009-4B89-AC93-AFD892157BFB.jpg

B8580DCB-3398-4A6D-A9B8-BC6FB0B6F408.jpg

062D7F56-682B-4A45-91BC-EAA7F909FF5C.jpg

7892A14E-690C-430E-812C-00097E93FA36.jpg

630E3EDE-8266-4147-87C8-11889FF5EC63.jpg

F569AFFB-577D-4D96-83E2-4538D9AEEFA0.jpg

Thanks for reading

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
That's had some money chucked at it. Id want to keep that nice myself, not waste iton a track. Bet it flies though.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
That looks awesome mate. Thats had quite a lot done to it. I bet it's pretty nippy too

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Welcome to the world of Jap.

Well done mate, car looks awesome I bet you're over the moon. [emoji106]

Civic FN2 Track Car
That's had some money chucked at it. Id want to keep that nice myself, not waste iton a track. Bet it flies though.
It is pretty quick, but all the money that's been spent on the car has been to turn it in too a weapon on track, just can't wait to try it out properly

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Great build. I wouldn't have picked the FN chassis for a track car, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

Looking forward to updates!

Civic FN2 Track Car
Great build. I wouldn't have picked the FN chassis for a track car, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

Looking forward to updates!

Well before I bought the FN2 I was also considering a DC5 or an EP3.

As Ive had already had an EP3 I ruled that out pretty quickly. There a great car and can be had really cheap now days and are great in track, but they are a little dated now and don't come with many gizmos.

The DC5 was a strong contender and really considered buying one but just couldn't stomach paying £8-9k on a 15 year old honda with around 100k on the clock. I know the engines are strong and the DC5 is a lovely looking car and very capable but I just fancied something different to the norm.

This is exactly where the FN2 comes in to play. Looks great, has lots of mod cons (auto lights, auto wipers, climate, folding mirrors, cruise control, push button start etc) A lot of people write the FN2 chassis off really quickly as it runs a rear beam instead of independent rear suspension. Agreed in standard form it drags its a**e around a little bit and its a bit understeery. But with a decent suspension set up and the geo set up a little more aggressive you can can make it handle so much better. I've had it out on track in pretty much standard form with just coilovers, geo and BBK and its was really good fun (videos can be seen here - )

With all the added power, sticky tyres, LSD and other bits I think it will be very impressive on track and might surprise a few people considering its pretty standard to look at.

I may turn my attention to the styling next and look at getting the Mugen front splitter and rear wing.

Thanks

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Well before I bought the FN2 I was also considering a DC5 or an EP3.

As Ive had already had an EP3 I ruled that out pretty quickly. There a great car and can be had really cheap now days and are great in track, but they are a little dated now and don't come with many gizmos.

The DC5 was a strong contender and really considered buying one but just couldn't stomach paying £8-9k on a 15 year old honda with around 100k on the clock. I know the engines are strong and the DC5 is a lovely looking car and very capable but I just fancied something different to the norm.

This is exactly where the FN2 comes in to play. Looks great, has lots of mod cons (auto lights, auto wipers, climate, folding mirrors, cruise control, push button start etc) A lot of people write the FN2 chassis off really quickly as it runs a rear beam instead of independent rear suspension. Agreed in standard form it drags its a**e around a little bit and its a bit understeery. But with a decent suspension set up and the geo set up a little more aggressive you can can make it handle so much better. I've had it out on track in pretty much standard form with just coilovers, geo and BBK and its was really good fun (videos can be seen here - )

With all the added power, sticky tyres, LSD and other bits I think it will be very impressive on track and might surprise a few people considering its pretty standard to look at.

I may turn my attention to the styling next and look at getting the Mugen front splitter and rear wing.

Thanks

Sounds great dude, good plan! Yeah, the setup at the back isn't ideal, but then it's the same as a Clio and that copes just fine!

I've driven a few standard ones and wasn't impressed but yours sounds like a totally different animal now. K series really do respond well to breathing mods too.

Keep up the good work!

Rich2509

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo XC90 & RS172
Your right about suspension, FRS and they come alive.

I must say reliability is a given, I recommend anyone goes for a test drive.

Civic FN2 Track Car
looks very nice! what are the sweatbands things for on those reservoirs though?

What cookie and phase1sr said, genuine Mugen ones add loads of scene points :D

Scene points
Car looks nice OP, don't think I've ever seen a brown one before

The Bronze ones are quite rare I only know of 3 others. Most people bought them in Red, Silver or Black

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Mine is red but I did look at the black/brown/bronze colour because in the sun it looks ace.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I hate the wheels you have on just now, love the new ones but the car is immense. The engine is a cracker.

The FN2 grew on me so much over the years and i'll still turn my head at a type r. The styling has aged well... barring the fact the view through the rear is nil!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
View out the rear is rubbish but you get used to it. Oh and the doors are massive and that makes the A pillar far back so you find yourself putting the seatbelt over the seat before you close the door because its so far away when you sit in the car.
Still been a great car for us though.

Civic FN2 Track Car
I hate the wheels you have on just now, love the new ones but the car is immense. The engine is a cracker.

The FN2 grew on me so much over the years and i'll still turn my head at a type r. The styling has aged well... barring the fact the view through the rear is nil!

Hate is a bit of a strong word to use. There not my favourite wheels but the arches on the FN2 are quite narrow and with the BBK fitted you need to fit an et40 wheel to clear the brakes. The OEM wheels are et55 and as I don't want to run spacers there aren't many wheels out there that are 17x8 et40 :( The Evo wheels at et38 should just about fit in the arches but et35 would rub to hell.

BBK problems :smile:

Civic FN2 Track Car
My new cobra Imola seat turned up yesterday, so fingers crossed if the weather is dry on Saturday I'll get a chance to fit this along with some other bits I have.

Now the eagle eyed people will realise it's not a pro fit seat. Although it's brand new it's old stock bought direct from cobra with a tidy discount :up:

image.jpeg

Civic FN2 Track Car
Love this.

You doing Silverstone GP on the 15th Feb? If so i'll be there too, come over and say hello if I forget!

I decided on doing the one in November with open track as I thought the weather may be a little better.

Civic FN2 Track Car
Small update

I sold the K-Tuned dipstick I bought and the Cobra Imola seat
icon_sad.gif

Although the dipstick looked really good as it fits the contours of the cam cover I couldn't have it fitted with the RRC inlet cover. Also for some reason the cobra Imola seat was really narrow. Now I'm no fatty (34" waist) but the Imola was way too small for me so this has now been sold and I've refitted my Corbeau Pro Series seat. Still rediculously light compared to OEM and so much more supportive and lower.

In other news I've also finally got my track tyres fitted to my track wheels
icon_cool.gif

Here's a few pics. Need to get the geo redone as they are mighty tight on the rear arches so need to add a little more camber there.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm also in the process of getting the bits together to do a proper gauge install and have an oil temp and oil pressure gauge installed in the cubby hole infront of the gear stick. This won't be finished for a while as I need to make up some mounting plates for the gauges and figure out how to route the cables through the bulkhead.

I've also just ordered some custom valved and sprung BC coilovers

I've also booked another 3 track days for this year so now have the following booked

Brands Hatch Indy - 6th April
Blyton Park - 2nd July
Snetterton 300 - 20th July
Anglesey - 12th September
Silverstone GP - 20th November

Thanks

Civic FN2 Track Car
Its been a while since I've updated this so here goes.

I haven't really done any more big mods to the car just been enjoying it on track.

Since my last update I've driven -
Snetterton 300
Blyton Park
Anglesey
Brands Indy

Overall the car is nearly where i want it, i still have a couple of things i want to do to finish it off.

Mugen front bumper
Front end respray
Decat pipe with map to suit
Convert from MAF to MAP

All my videos from my recent track days are on my youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9nXW1Xh_kdsLE9wa3myJg

Heres some pictures as well.

41C0C1ED-059C-44C6-B037-D465AAE1CCD3.jpg

22688594-EFBC-4F07-836F-EA178DF9E648.jpg

11E54583-0201-416C-9427-AA9719856B8B.jpg

F76C164B-1462-429E-9C63-310432F7E124.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

BPGTBH16101801Morning_-153_original.jpg

BPGTBH16101802Afternoon-48_original.jpg

BPGTBH16101802Afternoon-83_original.jpg

BPGTBH16101801Morning_-172_original.jpg

BPGTBH16101802Afternoon-110_original.jpg

BPGTBH16101802Afternoon-122_original.jpg