ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cigarette Lighter

Clio 1.2 shed :)
Hey guys, quick question, to remove the cigarette lighter unit do you simply pry it off with a flat headed screw driver or is there any different way to do this?
going to wire in footwell lights and it seems to be the easiest way to take power from, if not feel free to tell me another :) haha.
Cheers.

No don't do that.

Next to the cigarette lighter itself is the ashtray with the flip up lid. Just lift this up and it slides out.
Then use the hole as a grip, and just pull the plastic lighter surround upwards, and it will pop out. Then you can just unplug the cigarette lighter from underneath.

Glad i posted a thread on it then :) haha cheers mate, intend on doing it next week on the week off.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Hey guys, quick question, to remove the cigarette lighter unit do you simply pry it off with a flat headed screw driver or is there any different way to do this?
going to wire in footwell lights and it seems to be the easiest way to take power from, if not feel free to tell me another :) haha.
Cheers.

Another option would be to wire the footwell lights into the interior light. They would come on/off with the doors then. That's how I've done mine anyway.

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore me :)

Yeah i read up on that both seem like a good idea, my thoughts are to power it from down there as the lights are right next to me, not sure if its more awkward or not but hey :)

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Yeah i read up on that both seem like a good idea, my thoughts are to power it from down there as the lights are right next to me, not sure if its more awkward or not but hey :)

Yeah potentially less of a hassle mate; It was a b**ch to feed the wires up the A-Pillars and headlining haha :)

MK2 Clio
From my guide: u can see, What you need to do is create a second feed from the Positive Wire & The Door Sensitive Negative Wire, ( You could easily test this with a voltmeter if unsure).

Where the diagram has a break-before-make(make sure it has an off position as well) switch I must strongly advise this,After driving 70mph with my door slightly open so I could find something I dropped on the footwell I decided I needed the option to turn it on permanently, If you wish to ignore this idea (which I strongly advise you don't) then Ignore the permanent Negative wire (Black) and patch onto the Red and Orange Wires.

Another suggestion is if you do not select a BBM switch then make sure there is a break switch which will allow you to 'disable' them, this is useful when cleaning and general maintenance to your car - you don't want to kill your battery plus sometimes they can annoy in certain conditions.

For running the wires I would suggest beginning with the original courtesy light going under the headlining then down the passenger side A-pillar, down the side then under the glovebox then use that as a basis to attach further lights.

As for the connections themselves you can soldier them but for practicality purposes and for easy removal I would suggest standard ChocBlocks, these are tidy, reliable and very easy to use.

Uploading Pictures Shortly.

From my guide: u can see, What you need to do is create a second feed from the Positive Wire & The Door Sensitive Negative Wire, ( You could easily test this with a voltmeter if unsure).

Where the diagram has a break-before-make(make sure it has an off position as well) switch I must strongly advise this,After driving 70mph with my door slightly open so I could find something I dropped on the footwell I decided I needed the option to turn it on permanently, If you wish to ignore this idea (which I strongly advise you don't) then Ignore the permanent Negative wire (Black) and patch onto the Red and Orange Wires.

Another suggestion is if you do not select a BBM switch then make sure there is a break switch which will allow you to 'disable' them, this is useful when cleaning and general maintenance to your car - you don't want to kill your battery plus sometimes they can annoy in certain conditions.

For running the wires I would suggest beginning with the original courtesy light going under the headlining then down the passenger side A-pillar, down the side then under the glovebox then use that as a basis to attach further lights.

As for the connections themselves you can soldier them but for practicality purposes and for easy removal I would suggest standard ChocBlocks, these are tidy, reliable and very easy to use.

Uploading Pictures Shortly.

Pictures would be a good help with this mate, :) im no much good with taking cars apart etc so would need to know how to do so to run wires lol. Another question, i dont really know where to put the switch?

Pulled the cigarette lighter out, theres 3 wires going to it, anyone care to tell me what one is what? Dont have access to a multi meter etc

me neither it was this morning haha, there was a larger core yellow wire and 2 smaller wires cant remember their colours

MK2 Clio
yellow was ground and i believe blue is light other is perm?
i can try to check later mate gimmie 30

Okey thanks mate, if the yellow is ground then could i wire the negative part of the LED lights to it correct? :)

Just when the car is running mate :) im no expert in wheres the best place just assumed the lighter 12V supply haha

MK2 Clio
depends on what you wanted, it is easier to cut and splice interior light wires in my experience, ill go look in my car for yoi

yeah i read up on that, i just couldnt be bothered to trace wires around my car to be honest haha :) No problem thanks very much :eek:

MK2 Clio
Blue is the positive for when your side lights are on, yellow striped is negitive and I am colourblind so cannot confirm this one it is green with stripe? maybe brown with stripe? or grey with stripe (whatever its the not blue or yellow thick one) is the constant perm which is powered when ignition is on, I advice using choc blocks personally,

if you choose to go with interior light, remove a pillar, run it down there, down side of dash and under drivers footwell :) any more advice just ask, if you were near i'd offer to help...

Okay thanks for all the info mate :) i'll try with the permenent live in cigarette lighter tomorrow morning :) if that doesnt go the way i want i'll try the interior light, I'll get in touch if i need help, thanks! a like the 'if' part haha,

MK2 Clio
I did mine by drilling a small hole right of the headlight adjusters (right of key cylinder) Its personally preference though, you could put it right of the accelerator pedal on the plastic and flick it with your foot if you want it to be more desecrate. I fitted mine by hl adjuster and fitted craig_92's down by foot

Yeah i noticed in your pic :) was it not difficult to feed them wires? i was thinking the more hidden way, just thought i'd ask anyway :)

Problem (typical) plummed all the lights and switch in how i want it. wired the Yellow from the lights (positive) to the brown stripe (perm.) and the black from the lights (negative) to the thicker yellow (negative), Turned engine on, and typical they wouldnt turn on... Cigarette lighter works fine along with the light next to it. The lights are brand new just out the box but could it still be the problem? The lights have an inverter too.
Thanks.

MK2 Clio
Odd tip but try changing the switch around and the light strip around, not sure why they arn't working I have things wired up like that...

Al give it a go after food :) was thinking to change positive n negative over incase they're mixed up (unlikely but still), wikll keep you posted on it! thanks again!

Got it sorted, turns out the wires were the wrong way around, funny as I followed the colour codes to the people I bought them off, must have been a dodgy pack haha :D looks good, going to extend the switch to the light adjuster soon :) thanks a lot sparky!

MK2 Clio
Give it a rest josh. I fitted mine myself and used the OEM switch on the interior light to flick them on and off.... ;)

Behave craig, I told you how to run the wires, i told you where you can buy lights, I taught you how to take your bumper off, how to change a cd player, I told you how to spray + told dan iirc,

You wait to your car brakes again, I just won't pick up and help you next time ;)

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Behave craig, I told you how to run the wires, i told you where you can buy lights, I taught you how to take your bumper off, how to change a cd player, I told you how to spray + told dan iirc,

You wait to your car brakes again, I just won't pick up and help you next time ;)

I agree with running the wires... Bumper? Nope I knew that anyway; CD player???? Have a day off that's hardly difficult.

And spraying??? If so, why are all of your interior parts sat in MY garage for ME to spray? Because you aren't competant enough to do it yourself.... ;)

My car won't break again.. French engineering mate.. Top quality hahaha :)

Sorry to hi-jack but I want my light to work when opening door and to turn off when closed. I have a positive and negative from the light units there self. How do I do this?
Thanks

MK2 Clio
I agree with running the wires... Bumper? Nope I knew that anyway; CD player???? Have a day off that's hardly difficult.

And spraying??? If so, why are all of your interior parts sat in MY garage for ME to spray? Because you aren't competant enough to do it yourself.... ;)

My car won't break again.. French engineering mate.. Top quality hahaha :)
You are better at spraying than me so I was smart enough to mugt th job off to you... fool! cheers though..

Sorry to hi-jack but I want my light to work when opening door and to turn off when closed. I have a positive and negative from the light units there self. How do I do this?
Thanks
No worries mate, I have a guide if you pay the whole £12 for membership, it is defo worth it, but to sum it up

remove the interior light, there are 2 negitves and 1 positive, positive goes to lights... then both negitives go to a break before make switch (from maplin about £3.50) which then select, both negitives go in and then you get a master leave the switch (which activates the selected line which then goes to your lights, buy membership and I may even go and check what colours ;) where you from mate?

MK2 Clio
It's £12 - the banter alone is worth it, you get freebies, cheap tickets for car shows and soo much free, I am in Cheltenham but am in Swindon for a few weeks, I can help you wire it if you wanna come Swindon sometime within the next fortnight (after friday)

MK2 Clio
Thanks, Yeah feel free to add me or pm me if you need anything, it isn't too hard if you know what your doing ;)

Mk2 Ph2 172
Done mine the other day wired them to the cigarette lighter ;) two led strips in the footwells and two 3mm LEDs in the cubby hole for the cup holders

86eb3c6f.jpg

decb95d2.jpg