ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choosing discs and pads...?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Bought a pair of Brembo Max discs off e-bay last night. Good price at £90 including postage.

Just need to choose the pads now.

Any other suggestions apart from OE pads and carbon metallic items?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Too late now but Yozzasport do a kit for £190.

Braided hoses, DS2500 & Brembo high carbon discs. ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
DO NOT BUY PF97's or Carbone Lorains if you're worried about your wheels or paintwork

its not an issue to me or my old customers as they want the best performance and b****cks to the downsides (i had to clean my car with wonder wheels and some industrial stuff for the wheels, but hey thats the 1 time in 12months it gets cleaned, seriously!)

Thanks Fred for the advice.:)

The performance REALLY does appeal!:D Damage to the finish of my paintwork and wheels does not.:(

So I guess I'll have to take second best.:(

What are the closest options below carbon mettalic pads?...DS 2500?. Not too keen on EBC stuff.

What are you actually using the car for with these uprated brakes? (or have I missed what you said? :eek:)

Brakes really are as personal in choice to that of a pint - one man's favourite brew is another one's knat's p1ss. No doubt, there are much better brake combos out there, but for me, I went for the EBC discs and EBC Redstuff all-round (as Steve mentioned earlier).

Tbh, there is little between them on first use compared to OEM brakes. However, give them a few (even subtle) stops and they transform to a great set of anchors. They may not be able to survive continual punishment on track, but certainly for the occasional A-road blat and daily commute that I do, they are pretty much perfect. Again, it depends what you want to do with them?

D.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Here and there the car travels around 130 mph (weather permitting). Late braking as much as possible. So a pad that can stand this and doesn't give off sparks that'll damage my wheels and paintwork, and that WON'T warp my discs.

I used EBC sometime back, can't say I was that impressed with the Green Stuff items.

Any other suggestions?

megan R26.R number 006
there is nothing rong with oe pads for road use they are fine the pf97 paged blues and ferodo ds2500 are all track pads so oe or ebc green should be more than good engh

Remember EBC changed the greenstuff compound around a year ago.

DS2500's are a better pad but I'm not made of money.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I guess it's settled than. DS 2500's it is since they're a non metallic pad.

Unless 1144's are better?...non metallic?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
In regards to the sparking, how much of this hits the bodywork? Id assume if it gets anywhere it will get the side skirts? The wheels im not concerned about, ill have a set of track wheels anyway.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
To be fair you need to decide what you want from the brakes because there is a to bigger comprmise between road and track. Fit some decent pads that have bite from cold as you dont want to be slamming into the first car you come across and when a track day comes up take the spaners with you and change them for some pads that are designed for track use. Easy

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
To be fair you need to decide what you want from the brakes because there is a to bigger comprmise between road and track. Fit some decent pads that have bite from cold as you dont want to be slamming into the first car you come across and when a track day comes up take the spaners with you and change them for some pads that are designed for track use. Easy

That would be the most pointless excersise ever. Have you considered the disc/pad shape and how swapping it over and at least 50% of the time thrashing the brakes striaght after may affect the life fo the discs/pads because they will all be mishapen pads for the discs?

I think there is comprimise, my Saxo was an excellent road going car and track car, uprated pads, new discs and braided hosing with good fluid and it was fine, managed the nurburgring and Silverstone with no problems and i was pushing it. Im tempted to go with the brembo carbon, ds pads, braided lines and fluid, the condition of my bodywork is a concern for me and i think theres a good road/track balance in that setup.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In regards to the sparking, how much of this hits the bodywork? Id assume if it gets anywhere it will get the side skirts? The wheels im not concerned about, ill have a set of track wheels anyway.

That's easy to solve. Whack a pair of HOOOOOGE flaps behind the front wheels. They'll resemble barn-doors, drag on the floor and probably knock 20mph off your top speed. :clown:

D.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

That would be the most pointless excersise ever. Have you considered the disc/pad shape and how swapping it over and at least 50% of the time thrashing the brakes striaght after may affect the life fo the discs/pads because they will all be mishapen pads for the discs?

I think there is comprimise, my Saxo was an excellent road going car and track car, uprated pads, new discs and braided hosing with good fluid and it was fine, managed the nurburgring and Silverstone with no problems and i was pushing it. Im tempted to go with the brembo carbon, ds pads, braided lines and fluid, the condition of my bodywork is a concern for me and i think theres a good road/track balance in that setup.

I disagree.

I could bed any set of pads onto any set of discs, regardless of wear in one track session.

The profiles won't match immediately, but on track, they'd break-in very quickly.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR

That's easy to solve. Whack a pair of HOOOOOGE flaps behind the front wheels. They'll resemble barn-doors, drag on the floor and probably knock 20mph off your top speed. :clown:

D.

I can brag its a rally car then too. Ill have to get a blue set of Sparco ones, or should that be....SPARKco? :D

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR

I disagree.

I could bed any set of pads onto any set of discs, regardless of wear in one track session.

The profiles won't match immediately, but on track, they'd break-in very quickly.

I did think that and funnily enough when i went to the Nurburgring in July Jeff (clikhunt) got edde to swap over discs and pads to a fresh set and then headed out to the track, i thought it was a bit of a silly idea but i suppose once they are bedded in they are fine, i just thought if your using so much pressure so quickly on an uneven disc/pad combo you could potentially damage the disc and amplify the uneveness as well as cold/hot patches on the disc due to contact also damaging the disc and repeating this process from track to road would just make it worse than having a decent pad/disc combo to start with thats good for both?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thanks Fred for the advice.:)

The performance REALLY does appeal!:D Damage to the finish of my paintwork and wheels does not.:(

So I guess I'll have to take second best.:(

What are the closest options below carbon mettalic pads?...DS 2500?. Not too keen on EBC stuff.

Tbh, there is little between them on first use compared to OEM brakes. However, give them a few (even subtle) stops and they transform to a great set of anchors. They may not be able to survive continual punishment on track, but certainly for the occasional A-road blat and daily commute that I do, they are pretty much perfect. Again, it depends what you want to do with them?

D.

Red stuff eh? Hmmm...I only used green stuff. Interesting, tempting...

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

At night, I can see the sparks up around my door mirrors so it gets up quite high.

Christ!!!!!!!!!! Up to the bloody mirrors!!! Axel grinding firework display!!!:eek:

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I guess it's settled than. DS 2500's it is since they're a non metallic pad.

Unless 1144's are better?...non metallic?

they make a good road pad but make lots of noise and have got mettel in them to

Have they? Used them on my Integra (non carbon discs) never saw any sparks.

Wheels got dirty with the dust. Cleaned every other day. Other than that non problems.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Well in that case I reckon I'll survive with em' then. Perhaps not worthy of their price but at least not as damaging to the wheels as the others.